old houses back home...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

old houses back home...

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:20 am

went back last weekend for the 30th high school reunion... and while i was there was able to get just a few pictures of some of my favorite houses i always enjoyed looking at as a kid. of course i had to do it while driving as there wasn't really any place to park....thought i would share a few.... i didn't get all of them but these were the ones that came out really clear..

i went by my old grandparents house and found a for sale sign in the yard...my great uncle had the house built late 1800s early 1900s...i can still remember the gas wall scones in a few of the rooms...my grandparents sold the house in the early 70s and now that owner is selling the house...at least she still has the original windows....

my great aunt and uncle had this block built back in the day and surprisingly enough, nothing has changed since i was a kid, nor has the exterior had any updating other than the awning...

Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Re: old houses back home...

Postby lisascenic on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 am

Nice photos!

Where is this?
lisascenic

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:06 am

jackson, michigan
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:01 pm

You've got to love the lot sizes on those homes. They are just beautiful. Do you have any inside pictures of your grandparents house?
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm

my parents have the photo albums of holidays and such there... and i remember the oak floors, the wainscoting, baseboards, cornice molding on the ceilings, the pocket doors and regular doors. I contacted the owners in 1998 when i went back to the area for a visit... i got a tour...ALL of the wood was painted and the floors were carpeted..the gas light fixtures were gone...the only wood that wasn't painted was the hand rail on the stairs... the original kitchen was stripped and "updated"... probably a bad move on my part to go see the house... here are some pictures on this realtor's site..i am guess the house sold. The neighborhood is still in good shape...lots of same era houses.

i have my great aunt's photo album that dates from like 1900 to 1912... although no interior pictures of the house, a few exerior... since its sold... i'll see if the new owners are interested in any copies of the photographs...

scott

http://www.trulia.com/homes/Michigan/Jackson/sold/957401-607-W-Washington-Ave-Jackson-MI-49201
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby melissakd on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Wow, Stick, I went to Albion College! Attended the Marshall historic home tour too. :) Now that I think of it, that really doesn't have anything to do with Jackson except that it's right by it. But it woke me up!

I like the fence made of hairpins that form Gothic arches.

The house with the stone porch & chimney seems kind of Richardsonian Romanesque, and I wonder what it would look like with a shake, slate or at least dimensional shingle roof and a proper paint scheme.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby cberhomengarden on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:03 pm

I love the photos of the houses you posted in the original post! What a wonderful place to see.
Thanks for the eye candy!

Viewing the realty listing of your family's old house reminds me of why I have been working on removing the white (and layers of beige, turquoise, mint green etc) paint from my wood work. My house is painted ridiculously white inside as well. It is taking me forever to get it done, but I know it's going to be worth it.
I hope the new owners are also interested in your photos and getting the place looking more lively!
Oh, and I just groaned when I saw the built in painted all white. I was thinking, 'what a pain in the a$$ that is going to be to strip of the paint'.
Carolyn
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby Don M on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Love the photos; your family home is clearly well built & has been maintained in spite of the painted woodwork & remodeled kitchen. At least they retained the butler's pantry!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 pm

i found my great aunt's photo album and i did find a shot of the house all trimmed out in white instead of the brown that is now. I was surprised at how the photographs after over 100 are starting to fade... i need to get them scanned and will make a copy and send it to the new owners...will have to find some photographs of the interior before all of the wood was painted over.. there really wasn't much of a back yard, the driveway curled around back to a garage and a small pond and garden area.

my attempt at photographing a photograph, the top picture shows the narrow driveway between the houses, the one on the right was where my great aunt and great grandmother were born and the vine covered wall with an opening is the back of the brick house.

while the downtown area of jackson has died, once the mall went in, there are still so many cool old houses there and most in very good shape on the exterior. My next trip back will hopefully take many more.
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby Don M on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:18 am

I like the white better & I see that there was a sort of balcony above the front door that is missing in the current view. You can see where it was on the brickwork.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum