dcsimg

we made the paper...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

we made the paper...

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 pm

about ten months ago, our local paper started running a feature called "nest feathers"...it featured a different house/property every friday. people could nominate different houses...a friend of ours nominated us and apparently we made the grade... they are limited to 500 words and 5 pictures....but were fairly accurate...

http://www.fltimes.com/arts_and_entertainment/article_97853b4e-f0fe-11e0-9aab-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=story
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Re: we made the paper...

Postby KristenS on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Newspaper Article wrote:The men don’t consider themselves homeowners as much as caretakers of a property that was here long before they came on the scene. They hope it will be here long after they are gone, doing as much to preserve and enhance the property as they possibly can.

Me and my man feel just the same way. And we may have just found our porch stair re-builder the other day, who said exactly the same thing to me.

When my neighbors are mcmansioning, vinyl-windowing, and subdividing, it feels nice to know that SOMEWHERE out there (right here, in fact!) folks feel just like I do.

You guys are awesome. :)
Last edited by KristenS on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby jwesevich on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:33 pm

"...stop the constant stripping and repainting..." sounds like an urban myth to me... :)

Gorgeous house!
jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"
jwesevich

Postby kingfarm on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:34 pm

What a wonderful article! You guys are doing that house proud - would love to see more pictures.

My hubby and I feel the same way about being caretakers. We feel honored to be here. I guess everyone here does.

Congrats on a lovely house and some great PR!
kingfarm

Postby sooth on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:29 pm

What a great article! I love your "Craigslist" pieces in the dining room, and even though I am NOT a fan of wallpaper, I actually really like the "toile" style wallpaper in the dining room.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby melissakd on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Awww, that article seemed quite affectionate, and even avoided direct quotations (which are the worst part of being in the newspaper, IMO). Congratulations!

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby Alexander on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Very nice article, Lovely house, you certainly have a way with putting things together to make the house so comfortable looking. I like the wall paper in the dining room and the furniture also it looks so stable and comfortable. Congratulations on the recognition it is well deserved.
Alexander
Alexander

Postby sooth on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 pm

I also spot quite a few antique clocks in the photos. Is one of you a collector? I have quite a collection myself:
http://www.angelfire.com/me5/clockman/main.html

:)
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby Alexander on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:27 am

I noticed the same thing, great clocks and lovely art on the walls. I am sure you both enjoyed putting this all together it looks so comfortable.
Alexander

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:00 pm

hey thanks for the compliments.... unfortunately the wall paper in the dining room has been there for years....and only looks good in pictures..i am stripping the bead board walls and ceiling in the kitchen, next is the dining room wallpaper and woodwork. We did find a complete set (1926 circa) dining room outfit on craigslist three years ago, from the house that had resided in since being new I have collected clocks for several years, i think we are up to about 15 mantle clocks, one grandfather, two cuckoos and assorted smaller clocks.... its hard to find someone to work on the small 12/24 hour wind ups...my clock guy only works on the mantles and grandfather size, dang it.

We haven't really spent time arranging anything in order, in fact most pictures are hung on hooks left by the previous owner. Since all of the interior woodwork needs stripping and the walls repainted, we will do a better job once the room has been restore... the picture rails and spandrels throughout the house were removed after the attic fire and stored in the attic so all of that has to be put back up... the plaster ceilings in the front part of the house fell after being soaked from water from the fire hoses...i was told the ceilings were coffered but no pictures exist of the design and with being new plaster ceilings in 1928, no ghost lines. Being a stickler for doing it the right way i can only guess at what to do.

The biggest gratification comes from the neighbors and drive bys who have seen the work progress...and the result has been neighbors who are now taking more pride in their victorian homes...amazing how that works.. joanna did say they want to come back every once in a while and see how the work progresses... I wished she had put a blurb in about the original windows and how important it was to us that we find house with the original windows...hopefully letting other old house owners know that it is important to some people. Had this house not had the original windows, we would have been inclined to pass...

here are some pictures of some of the exterior work done on the landscaping this year. there was only one small garden when we moved in. The property is just under an acre and by doing the landscaping and flower gardens has reduced the lawn mowing from 2.5 hours to a little over an hour.....

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2248422341791.116367.1585175904&l=76b4a13560&type=1
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum