Horse chasing dog

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Horse chasing dog

Postby Eden on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Hope this comes through, I've never seen this side of a horse:

http://forum.horsetopia.com/meet-horses ... heavy.html

enjoy
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

1912 Gordon-Van Tine House Plan #122
"Be The Change You Want to see in the World," Ghandi
Eden

Re: Horse chasing dog

Postby angolito on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:49 pm

i once owned a miserable paint SOB who lived to kill dogs. i finally had to start tying him to two heavy tires when i turned him out. ended up putting him down when he tried to graduate to chasing me.

this is agressive behavior and not funny.
angolito

Postby melissakd on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:28 pm

so no hope of channeling that into champion barrel-racing form, or something? because boy, that horse corners like a race car. oh well. :?

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby Don M on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:51 pm

My draft mare chases dogs but the dog asks for it.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby angolito on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:55 pm

^^^^^ love that.. i bet a draft horse chasing a corgi isn't exactly an equal match!!!!!
angolito

Postby Eden on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:11 am

So, you guys think this horse is serious business? The dog looks like he/she is enjoying it. The horse, not so sure. It's ears aren't laid back and he's not nipping like a 5 year old Quarter horse gelding at the farm was when the 3 month old foal woke up under the fence and stood up in the gelding pasture. Poor little guy, he had 3 adult geldings in chase and he held his own! The gelding lowest in the pecking order wanted him bad, ears laid back and snapping at the colt's tail, just missing by inches. It was a beautiful, early sunrise and I had come out to take some pictures when I heard the commotion, I ran back to get my shoes and when I came back, the little guy had managed to get back through the 3 wires to MaMa, the electric wasn't on.

With the horses @my NY farm, my Black and Tan Coon Hound bays and raises her fur on her back. Approaching the horses, my Rottweiler lies on her belly on the other side of the fence and tries to scoot at a crawl under it, licking the horses' noses the whole time. I never let her go any further, I keep her on a leash, don't want her head bashed in, it's an unpredictable situation. It seems she kowtows because she always immediately lies down, maybe she's respecting their size, yet her curiosity starts her moving forward?

With dogs that have visited in my Maryland yard, My Rottweiler takes every one of them down by grabbing their hind legs, every single time, and she won't let them up unless something in the yard gets her attention or I intervene. She's not viscous, you could call it play, but I think it's her genetic origin, Rottweilers were Italian Cattle dogs before the Germans standarized the breed. My hound has learned to get around the situation by picking up on my Rottweilers' interest in the yard before she ventures out the dog door.
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

1912 Gordon-Van Tine House Plan #122
"Be The Change You Want to see in the World," Ghandi
Eden

Postby angolito on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Of course I don't know this particular horse, so I can't say. I never let my dogs chase (play) with pastured horses, but I also don't let horses rub their heads on me or graze in their bridles, either. :D

It is so easy to "train" bad behavior without trying to. One day an old dog or one not used to horses can walk into a pasture and get nailed. After witnessing one having it's back broken I never want to go through that again.
angolito

Return to The Hangout Forum