dcsimg

The End of An Era -- sad sad sad

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

The End of An Era -- sad sad sad

Postby cdnikoloff on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:30 pm

This beautiful old gal has was taken down this week to make way for additional student housing on the Penn State Capitol Campus in Middletown PA. It was a sad SAD day, what a waste. I can't even look when I drive past without crying :cry:
Too tooo sad.

cdnikoloff

Re: The End of An Era -- sad sad sad

Postby lavender_bush on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:22 am

I suppose that all we can hope is that they had the common sense not just to demolish the house but to salvage the materials :?

That way they go to a homeowner who will value them and not into landfill.
lavender_bush

Postby jade mortimer on Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:08 am

it should be illegal, after all it is a crime...what a gorgeous stately home...very sad indeed.....
...jade
jade mortimer

Postby Alexander on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Very sad indeed. If you know the campus there is a lot of land available without tearing down such a beautiful home. there is an old strip mall all but abandon that could have been used but this was I am sure a local person or organization and not the college as they have land to build student housing and have been doing so on vacant land for several years.

One would think that the local municipality would have some say.

Alexander
Alexander

Postby jwesevich on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Probably the same issue as we saw in Attleboro--family donates building/land to public entity which has other needs. Public entity gets blamed for heartlessness while family collects massive tax deduction.

jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"
jwesevich

Postby oldhouseluvr on Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:31 pm

This is sad. :( We had a similar situation in a neighboring town. Neuman University purchased and demolished an 18th or 19th century Georgian Vernacular building to build more dorms. This in a town that doesn't have that many remaining historic buildings to begin with.
oldhouseluvr

Postby Alexander on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:59 pm

I did some checking as I worked for PSU for 32 years and this is a private developer and has nothing to do with the University other than they want to build student housing. PSU has been building student housing for the past 10 years at the Middletown campus, replacing all of their old structures. Unfortunately there is always a market for cheep housing off campus that has no residence life programs ie. no control on drinking etc. It is sad that these beautiful homes fall victim to greed. I was concerned as Penn State has many historic buildings at their University park campus and through out the many commonwealth campuses that they work hard to maintain. This action did not sound like the University so I am glad I made a few calls to be certain.

Again a very sad loss.

Alexander
Alexander

Postby mrstan on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 pm

I am a resident of Harrisburg, right next door, and I think this home has been for sale for a long, long time - if its the one I am thinking of.

I am appalled that an organization such as PSU, would have taken history in account.
-Stan
mrstan

Postby matt8667 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:14 pm

not a surprising, that seems like something they would do. Heated sidewalks around campus so i hear but they wont save a cool house..
matt8667

Postby Morningstarlet on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:46 pm

That was a gorgeous house, and it really is a shame. We don't seem to have any regard for history in this country anymore. In Northern Virginia there has been a huge development boom for the past several decades. In two of the neighborhoods that I grew up in every old home has been demolished and high-rises or high priced town homes have taken their place. It's all about demolishing the old and building new developments. Or expanding what's already there and demolishing anything in the way.
Morningstarlet

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum