dcsimg

get off my lawn, you damn trucks!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

get off my lawn, you damn trucks!

Postby barrett on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Yup, again. I was across the street when we heard a crashing sound. I jokingly said another truck probably hit the retaining wall next to my house. Judging by the tire tracks it barely missed the big rock and just scrapped along the wall. Before that, it drove over my neighbors lawn.

I'm getting sick of having to level out tracks and plant grass! Of course it's been raining so the yard was soft and muddy.

Seriously, the road is dead straight and 40 mph. I don't understand how people drift across the breakdown lane, over the sidewalk, and onto my lawn towards the house!

I'll post some pics tomorrow.
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Re: get off my lawn, you damn trucks!

Postby angolito on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:37 am

i have a friend here in town whose house has taken three direct hits in the past year. the insurance company is getting a little testy.....
angolito

Postby lisascenic on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:14 am

Glad nobody was hurt.
lisascenic

Postby jharkin on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:36 pm

My house is on a curve in the road. Its only a 30 zone. Still I had to go to court this year to testify as a witness against the drunk driver that crashed onto our rubble stone barrier. And trucks kill our plants at times.

Neighbors tell me that back before they built the barrier cars crashed onto the lawn.

The details a real estate agent conveniently leaves out.......
jharkin

Postby barrett on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:40 pm

What the hell. My friends a few houses up the same road just had a SUV try to drive through their 3 foot high stone wall. It made it half way through, and got stuck on top-ish.

Once again the road is straight, and they hit it at a 45 degree angle. This is like the Bermuda Triangle of roads.
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby triguy128 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:49 am

barrett wrote:Seriously, the road is dead straight and 40 mph. I don't understand how people drift across the breakdown lane, over the sidewalk, and onto my lawn towards the house!

It's called alcohol. Or... plenty of money to buy a large truck, but not enough brains or eye hand coordination to drive it in a straight line. I'm really amazed sometimes that I've gone such a long while without someone hitting me... especialyl ridign a bicycle on public roads.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby jeepnstein on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:28 am

How long until the snow plows build you a nice safety berm? See, at least I can find one good thing about all that snow.

My grandad had a rental property that included a little cottage that was in poor repair. Since the property was on a curve he preferred to have the "honeymoon cottage" take the hit from drunks rather than the nicer single-family home he had sitting right on the other side of it. Predictably, someone complained about the cottage after it got hit for the 100th time so he tore it down. It wasn't a month until they had to pry a drunk out of the nicer home's basement. And then the drunk sued because we didn't provide a suitable barrier to keep her from hitting the house.
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Postby triguy128 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:02 pm

jeepnstein wrote: And then the drunk sued because we didn't provide a suitable barrier to keep her from hitting the house.

So then they would have preferred to hit a hard barrier like a tree, block wall, a deep ditch? The house provided for a soft collision. They should be greateful. Sometimes lawyers and the legal system amazes me. He should countersue for breaking and entering, emotional distress, and depriving them of the use of their property..... then press charges for criminal tresspassing and breaking and entering.

Its' amazing that someone could complain abotu a home bing too clsoe to a road so it's an "easy target". If a home is at least 6" away from the shoulder of a road or better yet off the easement, they its' the drivers fault...case closed. I don't think it's too mcuh ito ask that a driver keeps their vehicle between the lines and on the pavement. I've only failed to do that twice, but it was on a residental street and I was only going 10-15mph because it was icy or snowy and the one time I was avoiding a driver that had crossed into my lane.

Personally if I lived near a busy road I'd probably put some medium sized boulders maybe 16" diameter out front.... or mabe some trees. I have 1 telephone ple, 1 tree, a hitching post and a descending driveway with retaining walls on both sides that protect the house now. the house is also set bakc about 50' from the roadway.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Return to The Hangout Forum