dcsimg

Sad (2)

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Sad (2)

Postby sooth on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Alright, this one's even more tragic than my other "Sad" thread, unfortunately, but I'm just so bummed that I wanted to share this, since you guys (and gals) are the only ones that'll really care.

There was this rather nice house near my friend's place that I walk by pretty much twice a week or more (every time I go for groceries I pass it on the way). The house had new windows, but a lot of the original character was still there, like the old wooden screen doors in the front, the lovely simple porch columns, the panels on the porch, etc.

It was nothing that special, but you could really tell that the owners took great pride in their home. This was evident by the fresh paint, cleanliness of the yard, porch, windows, neatly trimmed hedges, etc.It always looked nice and clean. Last year they redid part of the porch on the right side that had been damaged by water, and they repainted it to match. Then earlier this summer, they had taken up all the porch floor boards and replaced them with new ones (they did a good job).

Then a few weeks ago (maybe 3?) I noticed something very odd. All the windows had been boarded up with plywood. I knew something wasn't quite right, but I had no idea what was going on.

Then about a week ago, I walked by and saw this:

My heart sank.

If I had known it was going to be demolished I would have tried to salvage items from it. Surely there must have been many good pieces still in it. I don't actually know if it was torn down, or just moved, but seeing as the foundation is also gone, and that I didn't see any kind of work that would indicate that they moved it, I have to assume it was razed.

The only part left is the original little shed at the back.

At first, I didn't know if there was a point in posting this without photos of the house, and I didn't think I could just describe it, but luckily, thanks to today's technology, I can still see it on Google Maps.

And of course, it was pretty much the nicest house on the block. So this is just a "triple whammy" for me (nothing got saved, the house is gone, and now I have no house to gawk at on that block).
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Re: Sad (2)

Postby Marylu on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Looks like way too nice of a house to demolish! Are you sure they didn't move it? Sure hope so.

I have to ask. How did you use Google maps to get the picture? I have tried that for our house using the satellite option but no close up like you got. Would really appreciate it if you could explain?
1868 Schoolhouse, Southern Wisconsin
http://fp1.centurytel.net/ladybug/index.html
Marylu

Postby sooth on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:06 pm

You just go to Google Maps and then zoom in until you get the actual street view. You can pretty much do this for most of the globe. You can literally go to Venice or Paris, or wherever and walk the streets in 360 degree photos. You just find the street/area you need, then drag the orange "guy" icon onto the map.
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Postby lavender_bush on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:46 pm

That is one heck of a pretty little house, it's such a shame :(
lavender_bush

Postby triguy128 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:43 am

Not to be cold, but it looked like a "Dime a dozen" house. We have a whole town full of these. Small bungalows on tiny lots. Nothing particularly unique. Sure, better quality of ocnstruction compared to modern homes, but not terrible significant otherwise. It must have had some major issue or something to get torn down. Sometimes appearances are only skin deep. Maybe major water damage, severe structural issues or a huge mold issue. Maybe the owner decided they love the location, but really want a more modern house.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby Fanner on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 am

What a cute house, how sad indeed. Is it possible there was a fire that you didn't hear about, and then it was quickly torn down due to the damage? Just a thought as it is hard to believe a home in such good shape, with very recent improvements, would just be torn down - or even moved for that matter?? :?

As for the google maps image, you are not able to see our house using this feature. I'm not sure why, but it stops about 1 block East of our house for some reason... so there are a few areas that do not support the street view, just FYI (for Marylu) :D
1904 Victorian :)
Fanner

Postby jharkin on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:03 pm

The street view photos of Google maps are literally taken by Google staffers who drive around in cars taking photographs. It depends on if they got to your street yet - some areas have street view, others don't.

Sometimes the photos are pretty funny. If you plug in my address you see my car in the driveway with the hatch open on our move in day. Serious.
jharkin

Postby Lynners on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Can't beat what a couple of guys did in Norway, though...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/0 ... 55787.html
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Postby downtowndahlgren on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 pm

What a sweet house, even if that type was "a dime a dozen". I hope it was removed, or if not, there was a really good (bad) reason for demolishing it, like an entire infestation of black mold. And speaking of Google, every view I've seen of my address places it squarely at the OTHER end of the street. I can see my house, but not shown at the right address.
downtowndahlgren

Postby sooth on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Well, technology isn't perfect, and they haven't mapped everything yet. I just noticed that I can't go up the adjoining street up the block on Google Maps. Seems like they only did the main streets, and not the side streets.

The photos that were taken in my city are decently old, too: 2009.
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum