dcsimg

Sad (2)

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Sad (2)

Postby Marylu on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks for the tip sooth. It was fun looking, but our town is as Fanner and several others mentioned. There are only a couple locations that are actually pictured/mapped and our house is not one of them. Probably because it is a fairly small town. That's ok, doesn't break my heart. Actually, I think I prefer it that way! :)
1868 Schoolhouse, Southern Wisconsin
http://fp1.centurytel.net/ladybug/index.html
Marylu

Postby sooth on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Yet another sad house to post about.

This house is just 2 houses away from my Mom's place, and she's the one who told me about it. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with it. The window has a building permit on it that says "exterior cladding and framing", but there's three other notices on the front door from the city that are basically "stop work" orders since apparently the interior has been gutted, the floors sag "beyond acceptable norms" and the east brick was looks as though it may not be structurally sound.

I wrote a letter for the owner asking weather the place was being demolished or not, since I'd like to be able to save doors, the stained glass, and any other interesting items.

I know for a fact that there's a beautiful wooden archway between the living room and dining room, since I've walked by the house several times in the past 2 years.

The house is in very rough shape, but the bones look quite nice.

I love the "third storey" room over the roof.

I also love these old lettered blue and white signs. I still have my original house numbers in the same style, but I might want to add a similar one to my house (I'm on 5th West). Also note the dentil moulding on the porch.

This is probably the last cool thing left on the house. It looks like all the windows have been knocked-out except for 2-3 of them. If the house is being razed, I definitely want to save this.

Looks like there was a staircase on this side. The house was currently 2 apartments.

The view from the back is pretty rough. The entire porch is all falling apart and filthy.

JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby lupinfarm on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:33 pm

You know guys its precisely the "Dime a dozen" attitude that has lead to us losing so many old houses in old neighborhoods
all over the U.S and Canada. Can we really afford to have such a relaxed attitude toward our history in " Bricks and mortar"
Take one period house ( however Ho Hum) out of an historic neighbor hood or small village or hamlet and not long after
it will be replaced by an ugly minimalist modern edifice, raze enough to the ground and you make way for a subdivision.
I champion the lowly ho hum old house, it has and will always have more charm and warmth the modern tract housing.
I say be outraged when you see old houses torn down!
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby angolito on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 am

see this happening all over st joseph. it is almost unstoppable at this point. homes which had been rehabilitated back to single family are being once again raped and turned into multiple dwelling. it is hard not to just accept the inevitable, as houses go on the chopping block to tax and foreclosure the morons sweep in.
angolito

Postby catgb56 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 pm

I feel your pain. This past weekend my sweetie and I went to make our ususal house cleaning/closet cleaning donations to the "Missions" in one of our suburbs (old part of the town) and then went to grab lunch and eat at a nearby park. Our hearts sank as we drove by the park and saw that the beautiful old house that was sitting at the edge of the park was gone (within the last year). She was abondoned, needed some "help" but defiantley not somehting that looked like she needed the wrecking ball. There was the big old fence around the area with a park district sign. Obviously the park need more property - although I don't see why, the park is huge the way it is. But again, just a shame to have seen that beautiful house gone.
"You may say that I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join me and the world will live as one." - John Lennon
catgb56

Postby Don M on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:56 pm

The Google pictures of my sister's home in Boulder, Colorado were taken when they were doing some major renovations. There is a big dumpster parked in front of it! The Google of our farm shows different things in various pictures indicating the pictures were not all taken at the same time. Our horse trailer is present in one view but not in another. You can see a horse in one shot if you look closely. There is no street view because we live in a rural area!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby James on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:02 pm

This sort of thing happens all over Raleigh, especially in the post World War II neighborhoods full of small houses but inside the beltline. They tear them down and put up places that usually two and half stories. and 2500 to 3000 square feet, and charge around 500,000 for them, maybe more.
My sister rents a four room house in one of those neighborhoods. The place next door was a 60's brick ranch, 3 bedrooms two baths. They moved it, cut the lot(which had been a larger than average one for the area) into three 50 by 150 foot lots and built three houses, all 4 bedrooms, three baths two and half stories, all around $500,000. Not bad houses really, but the nature of the neighborhood has certainly been altered.
Another area of town several years ago, with much more expensive houses they took a large house on a big lot, moved it to the back of the lot and subdivided the lot up and put up four I think it was, more houses on the same lot, all now sitting on lots that are obviously quite small. At least that time the original house was not lost. But in some neighborhoods there anytime a 40's one story 1000 square foot or less house comes on the market you just know it will be a tear down to replace with a big three story place.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby Don M on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:12 pm

The same thing is happening in wealthy suburban areas around Denver except they are tearing down large well built homes in the 300 to 500,000 dollar range & are building even bigger homes in the million plus range :shock: .
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby eclecticcottage on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 am

I do wonder if there wasn't something hiding from view on the first one that cause it to be torn down, or a sudden disaster like a fire. We drive by a house that looked like it needed a little work (paint, roof) that was just torn down-and they are now rebuilding nearly the exact same house on the existing foundation. I have to imagine there was something we couldn't see driving by that inspired that. I've seen 2 story homes taken down and replaced by single story, those were pretty self explanitory-but this one is almost a duplicate down to window placement.

We've watched a lot of cottages go the way of the wrecker to be replaced by LARGE homes. Which ironically usually end up on the market every few years as the owners get tired of the commute and cold winters (the wind off the lake is something else in the winter time).

Of all of them, one really bothers me. Dh apologizes at least once a month for not buying it, lol. We just weren't in a position to (we could have bought it but couldn't have afforded all the repairs it was in desperate need of), and we would have lost to a cash bid anyway. It was a cute little A Frame, but it was in tough shape. It was like ours, built as a summer cottage and added onto. We met the original owner's grandson when we looked at it (he couldn't afford to buy it from the family, and because his grandmother owned it and ended up in a nursing home, it had to be sold before the state would start paying her expenses in the home-he was living in it at the time). The kitchen addition was built straight onto the dirt, no foundation. As you can imagine, it wasn't in very good shape after about 40 years. It wasn't originally an A Frame either, his uncle added the second story as more kids came along int he family to give them more space! The plumbing was shot and the electric only worked in certain rooms. But it has such personality! And a GREAT lot. There is now a modular "a frame" there (it's not a real A Frame if you ask me, but the modular house places call it that). I saved a pic of the original cottage, not sure why but at least I have that. NOT to say I don't love OUR Cottage!! But that one was just so sad to see go.

Here it is:

We've driven past this one for YEARs and no one has ever lived in it, in all that time (at least 15 years). About a year ago when we drove past they were salvaging it and the next time a few months later it was gone.

The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby melissakd on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:54 pm

James wrote: They moved it, cut the lot(which had been a larger than average one for the area) into three 50 by 150 foot lots and built three houses

Shoot, the house next door to mine was on a 50 by 150 foot corner lot BEFORE it got torn down, the land cut into five 25 x 50 foot lots, and a house built on each one. In 1915.

Sometimes I think we can never invent enough rules. :roll:

Sooth, are you acquainted with your local architectural salvager? I do, and they're on top of most of the demolitions that happen around town.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum