dcsimg

one thing leads to another...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

one thing leads to another...

Postby barrett on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:48 pm

I bought a new kitchen faucet at Lowes, they're closing so 40% off, Yay! I installed it today, and when I tried to turn the main water shutoff back on, the handle just spun around uselessly.

So now we have a pretty new faucet, but no water in the house.

Why didn't I use the shutoffs for the sink, you ask? Because I could not get the hot water one to budge, so I shut off the whole house.

Looks like the plumber will be here tomorrow to replace two shutoff valves. Thus entirely wiping out the money we saved on the new faucet. Awesome!
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Re: one thing leads to another...

Postby Daniel Meyer on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:52 pm

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby dalmatiangirl61 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 am

If you can install the new faucet, why can't you replace the shutoff valves? Righty tighty, lefty loosey, what am I (are you) missing. Guess I should just call a contractor for, well, everything!
dalmatiangirl61

Postby nowwhat? on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:30 am

Loved the "life is a road" post....ain't that the truth!
nowwhat?

Postby SkipW on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 am

You needed the shutoff valves anyway, and the main valve.....so......you got the plumber for 'free' with the savings on the faucet. There is a silver lining in every cloud!

Good thing you found these things out now, and not in the middle of the night in a storm......

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby barrett on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:34 pm

dalmatiangirl61 wrote:If you can install the new faucet, why can't you replace the shutoff valves? Righty tighty, lefty loosey, what am I (are you) missing. Guess I should just call a contractor for, well, everything!

The shutoff valve is soldered into the pipe. I don't know how to solder. And I'll let the professionals use a torch blowing hot fire near old wood. Kinda scares me!

I also had to buy 2 new supply lines, a T fitting for the dishwasher water, and a $15 basin wrench that I will never use again.
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby dalmatiangirl61 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:38 am

Believe it or not, I was not born with soldering skills either, learned out of necessity. It's not that hard, but I would recommend working on a non-pressurized line for practice first, maybe something ornamental. I always wet old wood first, then use some shielding just to be safe, aluminum sheet works well, then re-wet it when finished, just in case. I've purchased many tools just for 1 job, inevitably they come in handy elsewhere.
dalmatiangirl61

Postby wletson on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:36 am

dalmatiangirl61 wrote:I've purchased many tools just for 1 job, inevitably they come in handy elsewhere

Most definitely! If nothing else, you'll be someone else's friend when you can loan them yours when they have a problem!
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby Texas_Ranger on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 am

The worst thing that can happen to you is a hairline crack in a finished wall or under a floor... we had to tear up our hallway floor because one solder joint sprung a leak we only noticed after quite some time (I think 3 years after we did the work). I don't like to do plumbing work... too easy to get wet all over. Electricity most certainly won't come shooting out of the wire! And it's much easier to learn how to properly wirenut two wires than how to solder two copper pipes so they won't leak. Still, in an emergency I'd grab the soldering torch right away. I had the advantage though that my uncle, a skilled plumber, taught me how to solder.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby triguy128 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:24 am

Don't forget, that you will likely need to notify the city to shut off the water at the street to replace a main shut-off.

I definitely like ball valves for shutoffs/isolation valves rather than gate valves. Its' good to get one with a drain too. The shutoff is often the lowest point in the system along with the HWT. Great if you need to winterize the system and drain it, or if the main shutoff leaks by, you have an easy way to bleed pressure off the system when doing work.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum