dcsimg

one thing leads to another...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: one thing leads to another...

Postby jharkin on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:40 pm

barrett wrote:
dalmatiangirl61 wrote:If you can install the new faucet, why can't you replace the shutoff valves? Righty tighty, lefty loosey, what am I (are you) missing. Guess I should just call a contractor for, well, everything!

The shutoff valve is soldered into the pipe. I don't know how to solder. And I'll let the professionals use a torch blowing hot fire near old wood. Kinda scares me!

I also had to buy 2 new supply lines, a T fitting for the dishwasher water, and a $15 basin wrench that I will never use again.

Missing the point that if the shutoff valve would not close, one would HAVE to shut the main in order to take it apart. And since his main is frozen up as was mentioned now you have to get the city to turn it off at the street to fix it.

Once the main shutoff is fixed, make sure the new one put in is a ball valve type if it wasn't before, and make sure to test it at least yearly to make sure its not frozen.

After that is done, definitely put a new shutoff on the sink. You don't need to be able to solder, cutoff the pipe before the existing valve and put in a compression fitting valve. They make quarter turn ball valves that havea comression fitting for a 1/2 water line on one and and the 3/8 fitting for a faucet flex line on the other for just this purpose. I replaced my kitchen faucet last month and did the same.
jharkin

Postby barrett on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:35 pm

I must have left out this odd detail. In the basement we have a main shutoff right before the meter, and one right after. The one that died was the second one, so I didn't need to call the town. Got lucky there!

Now, any ideas about the 2 main shutoff valves?
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby SkipW on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 pm

barrett wrote:I must have left out this odd detail. In the basement we have a main shutoff right before the meter, and one right after. The one that died was the second one, so I didn't need to call the town. Got lucky there!

Probably so the meter can be serviced or replaced without shutting the water off at the street.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby Texas_Ranger on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:01 am

SkipW wrote:
barrett wrote:I must have left out this odd detail. In the basement we have a main shutoff right before the meter, and one right after. The one that died was the second one, so I didn't need to call the town. Got lucky there!

Probably so the meter can be serviced or replaced without shutting the water off at the street.

And without draining the entire house plumbing. Seems to be a fairly common setup, and handy too.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby HB on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:45 am

Bingo on the meter service without shutting down the street valve. When that one fails, you have to dig a big hole to fix it - no one wants to do that.

regarding learning to solder - you don't really want to do that on th lowest valve fitting in your house. If there's even a bit of water in the pipe when your trying to solder the joint, it can become a real nightmare really quick.

HB
The lord hates a coward....
HB

Postby chooseopen on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 pm

I'm in the same boat. I had a leaking outdoor spigot and it has turned into quite the task. Of course the shutoff the the spigot was all froze up so I had to turn off water to the whole house. We aren't living in the house and I only have a couple hours a day to work on it, so I haven't had water in the house for almost a week! I had to get a strong friend to help me break the old galvanized connections free. I had two completely fall apart (badly rusted) before finally finding two fittings that unscrewed properly without damaging the pipe or the threads..Tomorrow I am all set to reassemble everything.
Jason Elwell - Canton, IL
My 1896 Victorian - Follow our progress on our Blog
chooseopen

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum