dcsimg

Don, did you ride w/the hounds this weekend?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Don, did you ride w/the hounds this weekend?

Postby Eden on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:14 am

Hey Don

The hunt runs through my neighbor's farm (5th generation family farm) every year as long as she can remember. We both live on Black Rock Rd - she is Baltimore County, I am Carroll County, a mile apart. She said she heard the hounds but when she ran out back, they were gone that quick!

She tells an interesting story. When she was around 8-9 years old, she was sitting right below a fence in the path of the hunt, so engrossed in a book, that she didn't hear the hounds. Her mother was running and screaming, trying to get her attention as she saw them coming, the horses all cleared the fence and Suzy was safe!
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

1912 Gordon-Van Tine House Plan #122
"Be The Change You Want to see in the World," Ghandi
Eden

Re: Don, did you ride w/the hounds this weekend?

Postby Don M on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi Edee,

Yes I did hunt on Sunday, the meet was our Open Hunt which met at George Brooks farm on Lees Mill Road. We hunt over a number of farms including Lippy's. It was a nice day with a lot of people out. The Open Hunt is held to teach something about fox hunting to folks who have never done it before. Susan & I took the third field whose riders were more worried about their or their horses capabilities. Everyone had a good time & we had a nice breakfast afterward.

Your story is humorous as long as no one was hurt it's a good one! A friend told me he taught himself to blow his grandfather's hunt horn. He blew it one day when hounds were out & they all came to his house. The huntsman was not pleased!

Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Eden on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 am

Hey Don, just returned from NY yesterday.

I know the Lee Mill area, not far from me. The Lippy's are an old Hampstead family name.

That's a good one, the kid and the horn. Those horns are difficult to use. All I ever managed was to make my ears pop, LOL. My dad use to use it to call us kids back from the beach for dinner.

The closest I ever got to joining a hunt was in Germany when I was 14. It was a faux fox hunt - no hounds, a ribbon tied to a tree. I was so excited that I couldn't sleep the night before and I over slept. Now I have no interest except to watch, it's so exciting to watch!

I'm looking for a gaited horse for trail riding and visiting neighboring farms, love these horses:

http://completeequine.com/id20.htm
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

Eden

Postby Don M on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:01 am

Hi Edee,
Fox Hunting is exciting whether on a horse or following on foot, by car or simply standing on a hill watching the fun!

Good Luck on your search for the right horse. That's an interesting web site; I liked the pictures! You also might look on Dreamhorse.com; there are lots of horses going begging!

How is your NY property coming? We leave tomorrow for our SC property for a week! Taking lots of furniture, electronics etc.!
Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Eden on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Hey Don, been out w/terrible cold, one of the downfalls of working in a school system.

So, at the farm... had the el side-attic of the house insulated and all windows now have inside storms, also had gutters installed over the front porch roof and back by the el, don't know why PO skipped those areas but it has helped a lot keeping water out of the basement. Have planted shrubbery and some perinneals this fall. Still reclaiming the yard, many branches and invasive weeds and wild shrubs. Most of the meadows and pastures now have electric fencing.

The barn now has additional stalls, 8 horses, a water heater, dusk to dawn lights hung above front entrance and bank ramp, and regular overhead lights on the other 2 sides, missing batts have been replaced, one whole corner is currently being jacked up to install a corner cement support and needs boa ed too. Last, it will be power washed and painted. Lots of progress due to helpful neighbors and the barn manager's family & friends has enabled my barn funds to cover all this!

Then, back to the house which is mostly cosmetic.

I will check out dreamhorse.com shortly. There are plenty of give aways in Upstate too, the economy is bad in Chenango County and many people can't keep their horses. I was thinking we need a hay bank like someone did down here in Maryland at the Gentle Giants Rescue so folks can keep their horses and rescues don't have to refuse horses... I'm just not able to help until I move up next fall.

Is you NC house in move in condition? I think I remember that it isn't an old one, you guys are thinking about gearing down..?
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

Eden

Postby Don M on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Edee,
Yes the house is in move in condition; it is a 12 YO moduler which appears to be quite well built. It does have things I don't like---vinyl siding & some cheap things like the fans in the bathrooms. When we arrived we found we had a big problem with the PEX plumbing. The water is slightly acidic & it has damaged the brass & copper fittings (elbows & Ts) which developed leaks. We had a major leak that caused water damage under the kitchen :evil: . We routinely turned off the water heater & other energy using items. We will also be turning off the water from here on as well! We may eventually move there if I ever retire as there is a lot of horse activity in the Aiken area. We have just finished a new barn & are constructing paddocks. Susan will probably spend a couple of months with the horses & friends during the winter weather here in Pennsylvania! I'll visit when I can.
I'm impressed with all the progress you have made with your NY property; that's excellent! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Eden on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:14 am

"We have just finished a new barn & are constructing paddocks. Susan will probably spend a couple of months with the horses & friends during the winter weather here in Pennsylvania! I'll visit when I can."

A new barn in NC? From whom did you buy the barn ? So you have a bit of acreage w/the new house? One more question, LOL. How cold does it get in that area of NC?
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

Eden

Postby Don M on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 am

Actually South Carolina near Aiken SC & Agusta Georgia. Yes we have 18 acres; cleared & in grass. The barn we designed & had built by a Menonite barn builder, Matthew Yoder. He is meticulous. The barn is built for hot weather; one story with two sides pretty open to catch summer breezes. There is also an existing run-in shed we have retained. The original board fence was rotted so we removed that & will eventually create more pastures. The winter weather can be frosty at times & they even get snow once in a while but it doesn't last. The ground is mostly sand so it doesn't freeze even when cold. When we were there last week we had a couple of nights below freezing (put a light in the pump house) but the days were in the 60s. Later we had days in the low 70s with humidity.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Eden on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 am

Sounds nice Don, especially your barn by Mr. Yoder!
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

Eden

Return to The Hangout Forum