dcsimg

Before/After of trash finds and furniture fix ups!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Before/After of trash finds and furniture fix ups!

Postby mrstan on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:46 pm

I was on another thread, and it dawned on me that since we all love old houses, many of us probably love old stuff too. The need to save old things; houses, furniture, etc may drive us to some crazy antics like dumpster diving, or (in my case) pushing an antique bureau about a half mile on one of the only original wheels that was left on it.

I thought it would be fun to post before/after pics of some of our projects!

I have something to contribute, and I finished it last night, so I need to snap an after pic. so I'll post it later.
-Stan
mrstan

Re: Before/After of trash finds and furniture fix ups!

Postby mrstan on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Here is an antique chair that my grandmother gave me years ago. Many moons ago, a favorite kitty named Ivanhoe found this to be his preferred scratching post.... so it ended up in storage, and the finish ended up looking like crap, and it eventually became covered with mildew. GROSS.

I finally had enough, and stripped it down, while keeping the original springs, burlap, webbing, cushioning, and straw stuffing - I then refinished it - reassembled the whole thing - I searched and searched for the right fabric - something that would feel like it could have been original. Total project cost including fabric (but not time of course) was only $10.00!

Before:

And after (crappy pic, sorry!)

Now. I showed you mine... time to show me yours :shock:
-Stan
mrstan

Postby sooth on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Great idea for a post! I have quite a few "trash to treasure" finds. It's just a matter of sifting through 100's of photos to find them.

Here's an antique mirror (with slightly wavy glass). I picked this up at a yard sale. Couldn't have been more than 10$. The frame was bare wood on the face, and grey paint on the back. It looked like it must have had some kind of plaster work or mouldings on the front that went missing, so I decided to turn it into an 1850's inspired flat veneered mirror frame. Basically I just cleaned it up, and glued some curly maple veneer over it. Then I antiqued it.

Before:

Inspiration:

After:

Here's an antique Victrola cabinet. A 5$ yard sale find. It's a well made little cabinet veneered in walnut (nice!).

Before:

After:
(I refinished the case, fixed up the interior by removing broken bits and painting it black)

Similarly, here's a 5$ yard sale table in mahogany veneer that was in need of a bit of work. The bottom shelf was delaminating, and the finish was damaged. Otherwise it's a great piece, with an original handle and a dovetailed drawer.

I have some before photos, but not already uploaded on the web.

After:

This crock was 0.25$ from a yard sale. It had AT LEAST 30 coats of paint on it. I'm not even exaggerating. Every colour you could possibly imagine, including silver, purple, orange, green, blue(s), red, yellow, white, cream...

JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby sooth on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:03 am

Projects that are in the same category but NOT finished (or not even started) are:

Antique upholstered chair (not started, but found for FREE by the road):

This beautiful antique table was given to my by my great aunt, who was moving and wanted it to stay in the family. So far it's been taken apart and stripped, but I have a new leaf to make, and one of the aprons to repair. I haven't worked on it for over 2 years but it's "in progress". The table (under all the paint) is solid Birch:

This antique radio/gramophone cabinet was donated by my father. For decades it's been sitting in the basement and he was going to throw it out. The door was badly damaged (completely falling apart), one foot was broken, and the finish was stripped off. This one is 90% done. I've fixed the foot and the door, and applied a light stain to it, all it needs is to be varnished but I've been procrastinating. This one is also walnut veneered with a burled walnut panel, and a mix of other woods (legs and decorative moulding are maple, turned feet are poplar, etc)

Before:

Currently:

JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Postby mrstan on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:37 am

Sooth, GREAT mirror, and... THOSE CLOCKS, AND THAT DRESSER - got my engines revving!

That chair looks remarkably like mine - seems the cross bar is slightly different. There are a few almost EXACTLY like yours on ebay (i think thats where I saw them)

I've seem the gramophone cabinet elsewhere, perhaps on another post? I love it - I told the other half a few weeks ago - if you ever want to give me a gift that would really excite me - get me a victrola/gramophone.... or at least the cabinet. I think the cabinet alone would make a great place to store bottles (the kind containing adult beverages :wink:

Finally, a question about the small table; you said the lower shelf was delaminating - pretty common I find on uncared for antique veneered pieces - were you able to reattach the veneer, or did you replace it?

My dumpster dive find has a similar issue - delaminating on the drawer fronts, and lower edges of the side - I have a couple 4x8 sheets of maple veneer I am trying to sell - but I thought about taking one of them, and re-veneering this piece. I also thought, since it's such a simple piece, perhaps - I'd just remove the veneer, and try to sand the wood underneath fairly smooth... any experience with that?

Heres a pic - of the dumpster find Image
-Stan
mrstan

Postby sooth on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:41 am

Stan, I wouldn't peel the veneer, or try to sand the substrate. These are usually made of really ugly/crappy wood on the interior (since the veneer is meant to be the nice surface).

On the shelf of the night stand table, it was only separating at the front, and on 2 sides, so I was able to just add some glue in the joint with a brush and clamp it between wood blocks to dry. Excess glue was wiped down with a damp rag before it dried since this was a reeded edge.

On your dresser, the best way to go would be to either try to reglue the existing veneer (preferable), or re-veneer them with the maple (not a fun job). If you go this route it won't ever look exactly the same unless you heavily sand the rest of the piece to bare wood, and re-stain everything until it all blends together. But then it will end up looking like a heavily refinished piece.

As for the clocks, those are actually the bulk of my "trash to treasure" items, but they still tended to be pricey and aren't furniture, so I didn't include them. Most (about 2/3) can be seen here in detail (with some sound clips):

http://www.angelfire.com/me5/clockman/main.html
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Postby oldhouseluvr on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:11 pm

This is a great idea for a regular post subject. I would love to spend more time restoring old furniture, but I have only done a few pieces. A lot of my curb-side and vintage finds are in pretty good shape. I just clean them up and reuse them. This is a table that I bought at an auction. It needed a minor repair to reattach the finial on the base. For the top I tried Howard's restore-a-finish and it did a reasonable good job (good enough for daily use in our house!).
Attachments
102_PANA-P1020012_P1020012.JPG
After. Its new life as a bedside table.
102_PANA-P1020012_P1020012.JPG (72.75 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
101_PANA-P1010981_P1010981.JPG
This shows how I used toothpicks to replace the broken peg so that I could reattach the finial.
101_PANA-P1010981_P1010981.JPG (96.26 KiB) Viewed 10869 times
101_PANA-P1010976_P1010976.JPG
Before of the table top
101_PANA-P1010976_P1010976.JPG (91.38 KiB) Viewed 10863 times
oldhouseluvr

Postby mrstan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:15 am

Oldhouseluver - that table is a BEAUT! Love it!

I plan on being thankful for my dumpster dive dresser today, and show it some love and try to start bringing her back to life!
-Stan
mrstan

Postby mrstan on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:18 am

Here is the trash find dresser I was working on - I decided to pick out all the PO's wood putty that was patched in the top, and call the little pock marks and missing chunks character. I am actually glad I did it this way, rather than trying for a perfectly smooth, unblemished piece. "Why?" you ask? Great question - let me tell you :D I think those blemishes are MORE than character - they are intrinsic to the piece now. Somewhere along the line, someone did something that became part of this dressers history - they may have been a young boy, trying to make something or working on a science project, and chopped the top all to h*ll. He was probably yelled at - if not punished.

..or maybe it wasn't that romantic... maybe some fool decided it was a piece of junk, and was using it as a workbench... but I like the fantasy version better :!:

Anyhoo - here is a grainy cell pic. Don't judge too harshly...and I still need knobs. for ALL of my projects actually. lol

Before: Image

After: Image
-Stan
mrstan

Postby sooth on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:57 am

Nice job.
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum