dcsimg

Before/After of trash finds and furniture fix ups!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Before/After of trash finds and furniture fix ups!

Postby oldhouseluvr on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Nicely done, mrstan! I am guessing from the dark finish that you stained it? I refinished a similar dresser many years ago (in the days before digital cameras and scanners, so no before pics.) Here is the after as it sits today. This was my first furniture refinishing project. I stripped it, stained it, applied a tung oil finish and polyed the top.

The funny thing is, we bought this from a friend of DH. After I saw it in its before condition, I didn't want it - the finish was almost black and it was "old", but to save face with his friend, I went ahead and bought it. It sat in the basement for years, until I decided to refinish it and use it in a spare bedroom. Little did I know how well it would turnout. And except for the keys, the entire dresser is intact and original, right down to its wheels.
Attachments
DSC05032.jpg
DSC05032.jpg (386.86 KiB) Viewed 8245 times
oldhouseluvr

Postby mrstan on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Love it!

Yes, I stained it - primarily, because there was a lot of damage (as I mentioned) and I felt it would be better in a dark finish, but its the exact same color as was originally on there - which is hard to tell from the before picture, but it is. :)
-Stan
mrstan

Postby lupinfarm on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:46 pm

When I learned that my relatives were coming from the U.S ( I am in Canada) I panicked because my bedrooms were just
empty rooms. I sleep in the new part of the house that is insulated and has a propane insert ( toasty mmmm!). Well I thought
I could just buy new furniture, but I didnt want to spend to much money. So instead I looked Kijiji and found a tiny wardbrobe
dresser that would fit in my bedroom upstairs. Here are the before and afters. I think its really cute and cottagey.
Attachments
003.JPG
After
003.JPG (93.57 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
new wardrobe vanity for back bedroom 004.JPG
Before
new wardrobe vanity for back bedroom 004.JPG (79.22 KiB) Viewed 8161 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby mrstan on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:58 am

Really nice!
-Stan
mrstan

Postby lupinfarm on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks Stan...But I fear what started out as a necessity ( to cheap to buy new) is now turning into a full blown obsession. I am
always on Kijiji looking for furniture to buy and " Rehab". I even post them on my facebook account for the family to see.
They of course think I am crazy. Was once the "cat lady" now the "furniture lady". Now if only I could find a whole new kitchen
to rehab? :lol:
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby mrstan on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:01 am

I am with you... I do the same thing. Except, I skip the facebook postings - I post here instead so that people "get it" :)
-Stan
mrstan

Postby Abuela on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:50 am

I don't have an "after" yet since it's not yet refinished, but this is my favorite trash find ever:

Does anyone have a good guess as to the age of this little pretty? FYI the top is missing an open square area right in the middle, so I'm guessing that maybe there was a fold-down mirror?
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby downtowndahlgren on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 pm

What kind of dovetails does it have? If you show a picture of the sides of the drawers, I can date it more precisely.
downtowndahlgren

Postby cadrad on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:24 pm

It may have had a mirroe on a stant that mounted to the back/top and a small square of marble where the missing part is. some of the pieces in the collection are configured that way... I have no idea why... maybe to resist water or chemicals?
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org
cadrad

Postby mross_pitt on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:35 pm

I'd guess 1890 - 1910 but may be slightly newer as well depending on where it originally came from and what the missing pieces actually looked like.

Any holes on to the left and right of the missing center section? You might have to look from underneath as they may have been filled in. The form usually has glove box drawers with marble in the middle and a mirror attached to the back....
Similar to this one.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/atq/2678647523.html
mross_pitt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum