Before/After of trash finds and furniture fix ups!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Before/After of trash finds and furniture fix ups!

Postby Abuela on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:13 am

Everything I read about the Knapp joint referred to those curved parts around the pegs as "scallops" so that's what I called them.

So where I'm confused is that everything I've read indicates that it's not considered a Knapp joint if it doesn't have those scallops, but both the front and back of the drawers have just the pegs that I showed without any scallops, so it doesn't sound as if this dresser was built using Knapp joints. So if it's not a Knapp joint, what else could I use to determine it's likely age?
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby sooth on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:22 am

Well, it still dates to around 1900, so does it really matter how accurate the date/age is? You won't ever likely find an exact date unless it has a company name, label, model number, etc on it.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby cberhomengarden on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 pm

This is what I found on the curb of my neighbor's house for trash pickup yesterday. I haven't done anything but dry it off (it was out in the flurries/rain the other night). Don't mind the colorful play mats on the floor. :-)
Attachments
photo_3.JPG
photo_3.JPG (167.16 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
photo_5.JPG
photo_5.JPG (138.27 KiB) Viewed 7037 times
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby sooth on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Wow, what a beautiful door!
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby oldhouseluvr on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 pm

What a nice find. I notice that the hardware has been removed. Funny that someone wanted that but not the door.
oldhouseluvr

Postby cberhomengarden on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 am

oldhouseluvr wrote:What a nice find. I notice that the hardware has been removed. Funny that someone wanted that but not the door.

It is strange considering they have just thrown away all their original interior doors.
I imagine they are getting new doors, in some remuddling of the interior. But the old hardware will probably not suit the new doors. This door is very heavy, solid wood (aside from the glass).
It's very wasteful.

I hope to use it for when we finish our attic for a closet or something.
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby downtowndahlgren on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:46 am

They have just thrown away all their original interior doors? Morons! :evil: (Sorry, maybe they're very nice neighbors and you'all have cookouts and stuff, but geez!) Anyway, one possible reason they removed the hardware - because it is easily sold for a good price on Craigslist and eBay. When I salvaged 7 doors from the house up the block (bulldozed due to extreme neglect), I kept 2 doors that matched mine, but salvaged the hardware from the other 5 before I donated them to Habitat for Humanity. I'm using the old hardware to replace new crap on my original doors, as it's from the same builder and same era, but the 5 donated doors didn't match my 5-panel ones and were impossible for me to even lift.
downtowndahlgren

Postby cberhomengarden on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 pm

downtowndahlgren wrote:They have just thrown away all their original interior doors? Morons! :evil: (Sorry, maybe they're very nice neighbors and you'all have cookouts and stuff, but geez!)

No worries - I had the same thought! I'm friendly in a neighborly way to them, but am not close with them in any way, so I can sit across the street and think they are morons for throwing away their doors. Lol!

Their house is identical to mine, except for a few "builder's choice" differences, i.e. - they have an original wood burning fireplace in the living room & we don't.
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby Lynners on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 pm

While maybe not a trash find or a furniture fix up, I've "restored" a cast iron rim lock. I use restored loosely because it's only been done to the best of my abilities, which isn't much! :lol:

The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Postby oldhouseluvr on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Lynners - it looks good and it works - I say that's a job well done!
oldhouseluvr

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum