dcsimg

Tankless update...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Tankless update...

Postby triguy128 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:05 pm

I did some mroe research last night. Even a small tankless is at least 100k BTU's. Some I've looked at are clsoe to 200k.

I think for next year I'l pick between a tankless or the smaller a AO Smith Vertex which is 75 gallons but still HE condensing and 75k BTU's. So continous supply avaialable for 1 shower, but enough storage for peak demands and a little cheaper and simpler installation than a tankless and more practical to add a water circulation loop if desired.

My one concern about tankless is when you have low demands like just washing hands at a sink. Is the flow rate high enough to fire the tanless up even on low fire? My math says you minimum flow rate with a 60F temp rise is about 0.5 GPM at a 13kBTU low fire output. I supose that's low enough. But if you have flow restrictors on the faucet and you mix it with cold, will you still be flowing at least .5 GPM? MY upstairs faucets have soem old galvanized pipe, I don't know if they even flow that much. I'll have to get a container and a stopwatch and find out and do soem more research.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby Daniel Meyer on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:00 pm

We've had no issues with a flow rate too low (at any reasonable delivery). A trickle, sure, but any kind of usable amount and we get hot water.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby Vaso7 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Daniel,

Any idea on how much it would cost to have one of those installed (not diy)?

Thanks!
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby Daniel Meyer on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Vaso7 wrote:Daniel,

Any idea on how much it would cost to have one of those installed (not diy)?

Thanks!

Not really.

LOTS of variables.

Needs a 3/4" gas line, so if you are replacing an existing installation, you need to factor that in.

Needs a different stack (if internal/stack unit).

Mine was a "new" installation and vents outside so needed no stack, and I had gas handy (just run a line a little further).

Mine was all DIY.

Heater, cabinet, valves/isolaters/hookup parts probably ran around $1200.

Conventional heater, new isolaters/valves/stack probably would have run about the same.

Things to consider that may mitigate the cost:
Often replacing existing water heater, even with a tank unit, requires substantial changes as old installations need stacks replaced, venting added, enclosures added, etc.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby downtowndahlgren on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:23 pm

I have an existing gas line in place for the current HW heater; the estimate I got for a tankless unit (not DIY) was $2500.
downtowndahlgren

Postby Vaso7 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:22 pm

I have a high efficiency gas boiler with hook ups ready to add a thankless water system any time I want. I got an estimate the other day and my head is still spinning from the number.... It just can not be that much so I was trying to compare.
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby triguy128 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Its 'a real shocker considering I installed a conventional B-vent unit just 4 years ago for I think about $700 installed. The unit I think cost $550 and $200 for installation. Comparing the teso... that's something like a 15 year payback. But... in my case I'd need to spend another $1000 to line the chimney... so I might as well go HE direct vent.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby James on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:04 pm

I put in tankless back in 06 and I have been well pleased with it. I had one problem early one but after one visit from the factory representative for the company, who just happens to live about 15 minutes away but covers a three state area for them, that problem was all cleared up. Not sure exactly how much it has saved me cost wise. It was $1800 to install it, between the plumber the electrician and the gas company. But the major advantage to me was getting rid of the cabinet model hot water heater in the kitchen. Gained about 9 square feet of space, which in a 9 by 9 foot kitchen, is considerable.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby James on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:04 pm

I put in tankless back in 06 and I have been well pleased with it. I had one problem early one but after one visit from the factory representative for the company, who just happens to live about 15 minutes away but covers a three state area for them, that problem was all cleared up. Not sure exactly how much it has saved me cost wise. It was $1800 to install it, between the plumber the electrician and the gas company. But the major advantage to me was getting rid of the cabinet model hot water heater in the kitchen. Gained about 9 square feet of space, which in a 9 by 9 foot kitchen, is considerable.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby Abuela on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Gas lines scheduled for install on Friday.

Gas meter hookup scheduled for Tuesday.

Testing on Wednesday.

Tankless HWH hookup on Thursday.

(This in addition to a gas stove, and the installation of a new deep soaking tub and two new toilets that will actually flush when you poop that he's doing for practically nothing as a way of sweetening his bid in a really lousy economy - plus we were able to buy the tub and toilets at his contractor cost. Oh and he's running gas lines for a future gas fireplace and gas dryer.)

:mrgreen:
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum