dcsimg

Talk to me about modern gas ranges...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Talk to me about modern gas ranges...

Postby McCall on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:03 pm

What you want in a gas range or any range for that matter depends on how and how much you cook. If you are the average cook, you don't need a lot, if you regularly plan to cook gourmet meals than you need something to handle that. Here is my Bluestar range, A real chef's range, trouble is I bought it in 2005 and have yet to get it installed in a house, we moved several times in the meantime and now I have the house, but I need the gas line run.

Things like warming ovens or dual ovens sound nice but again depends on how and what you cook, they may never be used.
Now burner configuration and BTU power burners are something you do want to consider for most cooking as in the possible IR broiler.
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!
McCall

Postby angolito on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:53 am

i think that it is always important to consider re-sale issues when purchasing large appliances. buying a less sophisticated new appliance because you personally don't cook much is just not good sense. also, remember when you purchase appliances one by one that resale will be much higher if you keep all in the same brand name. so if you have a relatively new refrigerator and dishwasher stay with that brand when you buy the range.

i know it sounds way too HGTV of me, but this is fact, ask any realtor.
angolito

Postby dpsours on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:23 am

Oh yeah, regarding the Kenmore Elite I mentioned, it has the grates across the top, which I find very handy, and it has a warming drawer, which I don't use except for storing pans. I did try to use it once and got a horrible chemical smell. Upon investigation, I found that the spatter shield I had been storing in there (and which had gone missing) was jammed behind the drawer with the plastic handle against the heating element. :shock:

I agree with McCall about burner configuration and BTUs. Mine has a "bridge" burner between the front and back burners on the left side, so you can put a griddle or other large pan across them and get even heat. Kind of nice, but as a result, the front and back burners are U-shaped instead of round, which isn't ideal. No real complaints, though. I think the most important is to have a very small burner that goes down to 600(?) BTUs so you can simmer and do sauces and such. Not sure about the 600 number, but when you compare, look for the bottom end value on the smallest burner and go for a range that has the lowest value.

Not the greatest pic, but you can pretty well see the burners here:

I haven't felt a huge need for two ovens, but I can see where it would be very helpful at times.
1887 Octagon
dpsours

Postby Vaso7 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:46 am

For me the question is not if you cook a lot but what type of cooking you do.
We cook a lot. I have a big family and everyday we make all our meals mostly from scratch. So the stove is in constant use.
On the other hand you might not cook often or a lot but when you do you make that kind of soufle that only rises in an electric oven or the exotic stir fry that only works if you have a certain powerful burner.
My soups, roasts and breads taste the same in my basic stove as in the fancy one I had.
Very often though I have 2 different things to bake at once and I would love to have the double oven.
And then of course there is aesthetics and matching your other appliances issues. My basic stove is ugly and does not match anything in my kitchen and I hate that.
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby Abuela on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:06 am

Well, while we acknowledge that Murphy often visits families when they least expect it, our current plan is to stay in this house for at least another 15 years until we retire, since it's within a mile of each of our jobs and we both expect to retire from those jobs, so I'm not really concerned with resell value right now as I am with making me happy -- the question I'm trying to answer, though, is whether I would be happiest with a higher-end stove with lots of hot features (double oven, convection, central burner for griddle, etc.) or with a lower-end stove that would save me a buttload of money.

Also, this will be the cornerstone appliance for the kitchen -- we have no dishwasher (but hope to squeeze one in within the next couple of years), and the fridge will likely be replaced in the next few year (it's only about 8 years old but it's fairly small and fairly basic and we could likely find something more energy efficient).

Thanks for all of the different feedback - it's helping me flesh out the arguments both ways in my mind.
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby downtowndahlgren on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:53 am

What Angolito said about resale kind of worries me (not that I'm planning to sell my little cottage anytime soon). I'm constantly searching for a vintage or antique gas stove that would go with the age of the house (20's). Right now I have a GE propane gas stove that matches the black GE dishwasher. I don't know what color antique gas stove I'll find, as I'm limited by the available space, but it won't match the rest, I'm sure. So I if I ever sell, I'll have to buy new, matching appliances. And that's understandable, as 99% of buyers wouldn't want an antique stove, but it's a shame too.
downtowndahlgren

Postby KristenS on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:04 pm

I can only speak for myself, but appliances meant NOTHING to me in our house purchase. Less than nothing. The fridge was completely broken, I forgot there was a dishwasher (and I've only used it once since we moved in) and the aforementioned oven is a $200 Home Depot special from 2003 or so.

We, in fact, tended not to like the houses that had the hulking new matching appliances. Because they tended to go with hulking new floor to ceiling cabinets, and hulking new center islands, and cold new marble or stone floors. We're old fashioned people. I'll take linoleum tiles and a pilot-lit 24" box any day! (Melissa is right! Nothing beats being able to cook food when the power is out!)

I think it will depend entirely on who you are, what your house is like, and who you end up selling to. Because this is a house that I live in for real, and not as an investment, I would never, ever decide against getting something I like based on resale value. I might consider it in a tie breaker, though!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby melissakd on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:15 pm

Kristen: Thanks! Also handy: Dad's semi-granola Free Heat Machine (a blower insert in our fireplace) which kept the family room livable when our furnace went out. [You know, you can remedy those cold stone floors with in-floor heating, which since it is electric will never, ever break down and require you to take up your entire floor.] You FORGOT you had a dishwasher?! *faints* *recovers* I hate washing dishes so much that that would not be possible for me.

If I found my dream 1920s gas range and installed it in my current kitchen, when I moved into my forever house I'd take it with me!

I wonder whether the "same-brand" obsession has to do with the fact that the appliances were designed to go together, so they look extra pretty, or the perception that a certain brand is more reliable, or what...You're not going to find a Sub-Zero stove or a Viking fridge, though, are you? And if you did, what reason would there be to think they were as good as a Sub-Zero fridge or a Viking stove?

I truly believe, after viewing many episodes of House Hunters, Bang For Your Buck, Selling New York, etc., that most home/apartment/appliance buyers are hooked on the IDEA of the high-end features, the PICTURE of themselves using them... I buy this house/stove=I become a gourmet cook. Wealthier folk like startlingly high-end features because that's what they do at parties: stand around and enumerate the features, a/k/a brag. You, however, Abuela, I would never suspect of that kind of hooey. :wink:

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby mross_pitt on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Wealthier folk like startlingly high-end features because that's what they do at parties

Yes, I like to tell everyone how my 1952 electric oven has a warming drawer same as their many thousand dollar appliance.
Deep fryer, griddle, slow cooker, room to store most all your pans. Looks better too. Take that Viking!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melissann/6397841929/lightbox/
Last edited by mross_pitt on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mross_pitt

Postby McCall on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:12 pm

"Not the greatest pic, but you can pretty well see the burners here:

I haven't felt a huge need for two ovens, but I can see where it would be very helpful at times.[/quote]

Hey did you take this during an out of body experience while floating at the ceiling? LOL
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!
McCall

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum