dcsimg

The Mother of All Shutters Topics

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

The Mother of All Shutters Topics

Postby SignPainter on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Having just hung the last of the new sets of functional wood shutters on the addition of the house, I can now say.... "that was hard... and satisfying." I have only a few dreams in this world, one was to have a house with working shutters. Dream come true, doesn't happen often. Here is a pic from this week. More to come. I wanted to start a topic on shutters, mine, yours, others' shutters. Seems like its a lively topic and I didnt want to hijack the very good Old Connecticut Houses topic.

For our house, there were no shutters on the house when we bought it in 2004. Two sets I found face down on the ground serving as the floor of a crawl space --- to my horror. Other sets of shutters from my house I see propped against the wall of an antique store three buildings away. Grrr. So I guess a prior owner abandoned them to the trash.

I'm not sure how I developed this interest in shutters, maybe I can explore that some via this topic.

I have a photograph of the home taken in 1905, I will have to scan it and post up so you can see. I copied what I saw in the photo and the old shutters on hand to have the new ones made. Louvered up top, and paneled downstairs.
Attachments
thospottshouse-2011xmas.jpg
Thomas Potts House c. 1863, Medford NJ
thospottshouse-2011xmas.jpg (87.7 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
ImageGallery of Hand Painted Wood Historic House and Custom Made Signs by http://www.HandPaintedWoodSigns.com
SignPainter

Re: The Mother of All Shutters Topics

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 am

how long of a project was it...assuming that you had to prime, paint, install hardware, etc. To me nothing quite makes the house as shutters...its the one thing our house never had. And nothing worse than when people take down the wooden shutters and install the vinyl shutters... need to see some close up pictures of the shutters and your 1905 picture of your house!
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:33 pm

BEAUTIFUL!
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby mfglickman on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:35 pm

That looks great! Any chance the antique shop 3 houses away might give you a deal on your original house parts back??

I found a stack of old shutters in my barn but I have not examined them or tried to match them to my windows, yet. Your post gives me inspiration! :)
"The Revolutionary Cottage" ca. 1758 in NW CT
mfglickman

Return to The Hangout Forum