My latest purchase. Not what you might be expecting....

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

utopia13

My latest purchase. Not what you might be expecting....

Post by utopia13 »

I have decided that at 4'11 & 108 lbs, coming home every work night at 10 pm, and travelling & living alone....it was time I get myself a little protection. After some research,I bought myself a 9mm pistol.

I can pick mine up this week after the BG check is done. I have a couple co-workers ready to help me with training, plus, right down the street from work is the NRA indoor shooting range at their headquarters. I'm quite sure I could likely get some priceless tips from those guys too.

So...Just curious, especially with the single ladies out here....anyone else get themselves a gun?
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

KristenS

Re: My latest purchase. Not what you might be expecting....

Post by KristenS »

I will never own a gun. Ever.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

It's the same as any other tool, practice makes perfect.

All the ladies in my family own guns, and most of them have carry conceal permits. When someone got hauled in for assaulting a lady in an apartment building one old aunt and her two daughters lived in years ago, someone asked him why he waited a half-hour to do it when there were three other ladies in the area before then. His answer? "Because two of the other ones were M-----s, and I thought they might have had their gun!"
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

Thanks for the replies so far.

I knew this could be a touchy subject when I posted it. I just know that if anyone tried to break in my home, I would be absolutely defenseless. I certainly couldn't overtake anyone with my strength, that's for sure!

I do look forward to more comments & opinions on the subject.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

i am vehemently opposed to guns...i consider the nra to be a terrorist organization...
i believe that no piece of property is worth a human being's life...i cannot fathom how i could live the rest of my life with peace of mind if i killed someone........fear is a great motivator and the nra promotes that fear to sell guns....fear makes people do crazy things.....i do hope you reconsider.....
......jade

Lynners

Post by Lynners »

Being in Canada, the only guns people can own are hunting rifles, 22s, and BB guns. They are not allowed to be carried in public, and in the home I'm pretty sure have to be locked up.

I have no desire to own a gun (although skeet shooting IS fun), but if I lived in an urban area with a high crime rate, by myself, I would potentially consider it.
no piece of property is worth a human being's life
^^^ I agree with this, but I don't think that the OP here is saying "don't steal my stuff, I'll kill you", rather it's a deterrant (sp?). It's also bodily protection - in the event that some sorry excuse for a human being decides they'd like to kidnap, rape, or otherwise harm her. And who says everyone who owns a gun for protection would shoot to kill?! Maim them enough to be able to GET AWAY!
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com

nowwhat?

Post by nowwhat? »

I've had a gun in the house before.....it made me uneasy. The time I had one there was a guy going around the city peeking in peoples windows and if he saw a woman laying on the couch he would break in and sexually assault them. My daughter was a teen and worked night shift at a restaurant. I told her when she came home, didn't matter what time, to make noise and holler out loud...its me!!! She came home one night with a friend and forgot and tried to be quiet. I heard something and grabbed my dog and my gun and went forward. I met them just inside the door. We all stood there for a minute just staring at each other...what an awful moment. She never did see that fellow again. It scared me. I like guns and I don't like guns. I don't have one now, but if I lived in a violent area I might....dunno...I'm not judging you. If you have to have one, train with experts very thoroughly and remember whatever weapon you have can be used against you! I have dogs and a baseball bat and lots of lighting and good neighbours around me. I'd like to live in a world without the need for weapons.

angolito

Post by angolito »

i would not judge you for doing what you reasonably feel is the correct decision for you. i have owned guns off and on most of my life and although i never had to use one to protect myself from a human predator, i killed many an aggressive snake and several rabid animals.

definitely take a gun safety course from a rated instructor. practice frequently and consistently, it is a skill that has to be maintained.

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

Mo got herself a nine!
Guns are very fun to shoot. People are less so.
Best of luck. Get educated, take regular target practice, twice a year so you remember how it works. Keep the safety "on". Remember when you take out the magazine, there's still a round in the chamber.
Sorry there is trouble in Utopia. :0
Casey

downtowndahlgren

Post by downtowndahlgren »

Utopia, when my husband was alive he had an extensive collection of guns in the house, including an Israeli UZI, and never had an accident (no kids). Hubby was an accomplished marksman and often practiced with an agent friend at Quantico. Unfortunately my older stepson inherited all of his father's guns. Now that I'm 61 and a widow, I plan to acquire a nice 9mm or 38 caliber pistol, get trained and obtain a concealed carry permit as well. (Hubs always carried when driving rural roads.) This is not only for my safety, since I am in a semi-rural area and live alone, but also because I have a horrible fear of hitting a deer or other critter when driving home at night on our unlit 2-lane roads. I could not bear to see an animal in pain. I have always hated guns (and am severely gun-shy from the noise), but I can empathize with you about the need to protect yourself. It's not a question of protecting one's property; it's protecting one's life.