My latest purchase. Not what you might be expecting....

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

James

Re: My latest purchase. Not what you might be expecting....

Post by James »

Good for you Mo. My father bought my mother a gun years ago when she worked nights and taught her how to use it. He made no bones about the fact that she was a much better shot than he was. My late uncle had a room that was lined with guns.
If I didn't own a gun, I would NEVER admit to it. Where I live you darned well want everyone to assume you own a gun. Having lived thru four break ins in 20 years in three different towns, plus having a car stolen out of my yard in just the last few months(and the police have NEVER done anything more than take a report), including one break in I walked in on, I totally understand anyone who has a concealed carry permit. And if anyone tries breaking into your house or mine, I say shoot. If I had had the gun with me the night I walked in on that breakin at my house I would have used it and I regret I did not have one with me. Looking back on it, I regret that lacking a gun I did not ram the truck into their car, which if I had been thinking a bit quicker on my feet I could have done.
I have been on a jury foreman for case where someone was charged with manslaughter for killing(with a knife) someone who broke into his home. We acquitted.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

I do thank everyone for their comments...whether for or against my decision.

I still haven't picked it up yet, as the shop was closed on Sun & Mon. I'm quite sure the bg check is finished. I was never concerned about that, since my clearance investigation for work was far more detailed & went through just fine.

I have had several more co-workers offer to go with me to practice. So far it's about 7 people. I will take any and all offers for training that I can get. Not all people train alike & not all people learn alike either. So having a broad range of teachers will be a good thing.

I also want to say that I am glad this topic has been, for the most part, well received, and even opposing opinions have been kept to a friendly tone. I was never intending to stir up "controversy", but I also never recalled the topic ever mentioned.

So maybe it's a good thing to get it out there amongst us & see what everyone thinks. :idea:
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Well, in the end, it's a matter for the master (or mistress) of the house. I like Abuela's answer about sharing the key location!

I can tell you, some places around here are lore or less gun tolerant than others, but in my little town people take it for granted that each house has one, and the kids I know are trained to leave them be.

I will say that a pistola is all good and well, but a slide-action shotgun slamming shut is universal language for "Git!"

Another trick I have for defense, which I taught my lady cousin who lives alone in a bungalow like mine: In the hall off of the dining room where the bedroom doors are, is a large cold air return. At night, before retiring, she lifts the register off of the return and leans it against her door, where she is sure to run into it and remember to put it back down. An intruder, however, will not have that luxury, and will descend at a rapid clip into the basement, stopping only long enough to pull the tin from the joists and alert my cousin of their presence, at which time she can call the appropriate authorities, and depart through one of the large windows in her bedroom.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

james, i think you should have been disbarred from the jury with your bias...

i'm terribly saddened to read how some folks relate to guns and the lack of respect for the sanctitiy of life...only in america......

i think i will take a break from the old house web for a while...these things really affect my sensitive heart.....

...jade

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

@Jade M, "i'm terribly saddened to read how some folks relate to guns and the lack of respect for the sanctitiy of life...only in america......"

I guess I didn't see any of our posters degrade the sanctity of life here, but I do think you are 100% right......those people (including armed criminals) who have no respect for life and well being spoil things for law abiding firearm owners (such as myself.)
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

I'm with Jade. The casual, almost celebratory, nature with which some folks in this thread are talking about shooting people... it hurts me, greatly.

I'm glad things have stayed civil, too. But I am absolutely demolished emotionally by this thread. Part of me wishes I'd never read it, or commented at all. I think I'd rather not know that my values are so in the minority. Ugh...
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

I don't think anyone was celebrating about the possibility of being forced to protect themselves. I hope it never comes down to that decision myself and I think I speak for the rest of us too. Maybe we should just end this topic before it gets uncivilized?

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

At we can all agree that we don't need this in our bedroom:
Attachments
inrange.jpg
inrange.jpg (155.25 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

I am very sorry that this has turned South.

I have never promoted killing, for killing's sake. I have never been a person of violence at all. I posted this just to find out, mainly from those living alone, what you may or may not do to protect yourselves from someone breaking into your home. I look at a break-in as someone, who I have not invited, to be intruding on my personal space. If this were to ever occur, and I truly hope to God it never does, I just want to be able to protect myself.

I don't feel guilty for wanting to save my own skin. Possessions be damned!

I had mentioned this to a few of you in pm's, but one of the main reasons for my choice is the fact that in 1976, 2 guys 17 & 20 yo, broke into a 73 year old woman's home to steal her tv. They took her life. That woman was my Grandmother. This has never left my mind. I just choose not to be a victim.

I am going to PM Schag and request he lock the thread.

I think we can all say this is a very heated topic & one I wish I'd not posted.

I'm sorry if any comments I'd made sounded like I have no value of my fellow man. I do. More than many may ever know.

Neighmond....that's some big guns ya got there! :lol:
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

"Neighmond....that's some big guns ya got there! :lol:"

That ain't mine! :lol: Anything big and mean enough to need that would either eat me alive or stomp me into a fat old grease spot on the rug, and be long gone before I ever had a chance to do anything about it!
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because