dcsimg

Snobs snobs snobs what is a snob??????

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Snobs snobs snobs what is a snob??????

Postby 1834cobblestone on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Is a snob someone that pays someone to do all the work, someone that do's all there own work, someome one that spends days and days working on a old window or door and looks down to those that dont. Or is a snob someone that thinks the only was to do something is the way they do it. Ha I'm just asking. Old home owners are a funny lot. Thanks for having me and by the way I think I'm more a nut. I have to do all the work myself.
1834cobblestone

Re: Snobs snobs snobs what is a snob??????

Postby Abuela on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:32 pm

LOL!

I'd define a snob (in the context of an old house community) as someone who looked down on anyone who didn't do everything the same way they would -- especially someone who would be critical of anyone who didn't (for example) strip off everything that PO's did and replace it back to original style and quality (no matter the cost or amount of work involved), or who chose to put in anything less than 100% authentic anything.

It might also include those who would claim that those who chose "step above Lowes particleboard crap but still probably still made in China" over "handmade by a true master craftsman and carefully distressed to appear authentically old but costing an entire room's budget" were taking food out of his children's mouths. :P
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby 1834cobblestone on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm

right on !
1834cobblestone

Postby lupinfarm on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:55 pm

A snob or more accurately an "Old house snob" is someone who looks down on those who seek to remedy a problem by using modern methods, even when the "Time worn" methods just wont work. I.E. bat insulation and spray foam. Or those that believe that the only " Good wood" is "Unpainted wood". :)
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh, I see that it is time to get the popcorn out before round one begins. :shock:
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby Abuela on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Note that there is a world of difference between the people who do those things in their own home, which is something I seriously admire and wish that I could do, verses someone who looks down on those who cannot or choose not to do so.

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

Abuela

Postby nezwick on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm one of these snobs to a point - and I'm even really new to this old house thing.

If something original to the house is damaged beyond repair or unsafe, then by all means remove it and replace it with something tasteful and modern. But ripping out or irreversibly defacing critical original characteristics of the house just because they're "dated" is what gets to me. It makes me wonder: if you don't want those things, why did you buy that house and not something that was more to your taste?
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web
nezwick

Postby Abuela on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:53 pm

nezwick wrote:If something original to the house is damaged beyond repair or unsafe, then by all means remove it and replace it with something tasteful and modern. But ripping out or irreversibly defacing critical original characteristics of the house just because they're "dated" is what gets to me. It makes me wonder: if you don't want those things, why did you buy that house and not something that was more to your taste?

LOL Within the context of this community I don't consider this "snobbish" at all - I think there's very few of us who would deliberately remove something original to the house unless it was beyond repair or unsafe, and even fewer (or none) who would rip out something because it was "dated."

Abuela

Postby 1834cobblestone on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Hell if the work is done with care love. By your own hand or the hand that you pay to do it. Its all good to me. Old wood new wood what ever.We are all nuts we have to be. I just dont like when someone looks down on someone for having at it.
1834cobblestone

Postby triguy128 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 am

lupinfarm wrote:A snob or more accurately an "Old house snob" is someone who looks down on those who seek to remedy a problem by using modern methods, even when the "Time worn" methods just wont work. I.E. bat insulation and spray foam. Or those that believe that the only " Good wood" is "Unpainted wood". :)

This sums it up pretty well for me.

I'm a firm believer that many modern materials and methods would have been used 100 years ago even by true craftsmen if available. Although I suspect the quality of those materials would be much better.

My problem often isn't what's available, it's how cheap it is. IT's also the assumption that some newer things are better, when in fact they are merely cheaper or easier to use.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum