dcsimg

Snobs snobs snobs what is a snob??????

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Snobs snobs snobs what is a snob??????

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm a shellac snob, woodwork snob and a woodworking tool snob, fer sure.
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby BobG on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Abuela wrote:LOL!

I'd define a snob (in the context of an old house community) as someone who looked down on anyone who didn't do everything the same way they would -- especially someone who would be critical of anyone who didn't (for example) strip off everything that PO's did and replace it back to original style and quality (no matter the cost or amount of work involved), or who chose to put in anything less than 100% authentic anything.

It might also include those who would claim that those who chose "step above Lowes particleboard crap but still probably still made in China" over "handmade by a true master craftsman and carefully distressed to appear authentically old but costing an entire room's budget" were taking food out of his children's mouths. :P

I wish there was a "Like" button here, but since there isn't, I'm quoting it here and stating as much!! You GO Abuela!
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby BobG on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:57 pm

triguy128 wrote:I'm a firm believer that many modern materials and methods would have been used 100 years ago even by true craftsmen if available...

I would second that belief, given that in victorian times, they used things such as lincrusta and anaglypta to simulate tooled leather, lots of decorative elements on mantels and columns were made of compo, cast iron mantels were faux painted to look (very believably, too) like quartersawn oak, soapstone mantels were faux painted to look like marble, lots of that "gingerbread" was mass produced, even cornerblocks were moulded out of compo, and casings were plain pine, covered with plaster and run to look like very expensive, detailed profiles, then faux grained to be mahogany.
I don't think that the victorians would have shunned things such as trex, pex, or azec for their home ... although they MAY have looked down at things such as moulded polystyrene foam covered with a vinyl picture of woodgrain glued onto it ...

But all-in-all, they were more about looks and appearances than actual materials used, unless they were very well off, and even some of them cut corners alot. The home I grew up in was built by a riverboat captain (high status job back then) in 1847. Sometime later the house was electrified, and the parlor had a transitional fixture in it ... the gas was NEVER HOOKED UP!!! The mantels in the house were soapstone faux painted to look like expensive black marble with white and red veins in it, the parlour casing mouldings and cornerblocks were as I described above, even the baseboard was common pine faux grained in mahogany. It was all about appearances and status back then ... Oh wait ... it still is ... :shock: (Did I say that???? )
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby kat on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:33 pm

U know em when u meet them...i could reveal a whole group of them who call us in our county "the others" but better not
kat

Postby selvatico on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 am

I'm an avowed old house snob... because lets face it, I deserve the best and they stopped making the best a hundred years ago!

Now if only I had a wad of cash, an ebony cane and a very fine hat... :wink:

1916 Prairie Style Bungalow
selvatico

Postby lupinfarm on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:38 pm

A true "Old house snob" is someone who can admire and appreciate the craftsmanship that went into building 100+ years ago, marvel at the intricate wood carving but not necessarily like the style. I am often amazed at the artistry of the work but would
not actually want to live with it myself. A thing that my family just cant understand.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby coldwater on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 pm

Wow! such a loaded question!! There are so many answers to this question that I don't know how to post to it. I guess it breaks down to "tribes" :wink: The classic museum quality restoration, or the tasteful and sensitive rebuilding of an antique? Doing it yourself, or hiring the job out? Quality, or cheap quantity? And of course, those that seek an old home to save and enjoy as part of the journey, and those that simply buy on old house because their sometimes cheaper, then tear them to bits to try and modernize them, destroy the original fabric of the house, and reduce it to a freakish structure that defies logic or taste. As a contractor and realist, I will say without hesitation, that I am a big advocate of using modern methods and materials for repairs, while trying to maintain the integrity of the home. Repair what you can, and replace what you cannot. Sadly, I have a neighbor who is a snob of the worse kind. She lives in a very original, small 1717 saltbox, that is suffering badly. Every year that goes by, the old home gets worse and worse with rot damage. The reason? She cannot afford a museum restoration, and would rather see the house fall down than to see it be repaired with modern materials. That is both snobbish, and ignorant, and will only lead to the loss of a beautiful home. So, what indeed is a snob? I believe it is anyone that denies, or looks down on ANY attempt to save what ever is left of an old structure by whatever means is available to them.
Owning an old home requires good stewardship, so that we can not only honor the original
craftsman who labored to build a home of enduring quality, but allow the next generations the opportunity to live in history.
coldwater

Postby lupinfarm on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 pm

My thoughts exactly Coldwater. You know also that not all old houses are unique enough that they warrant a "museum quality" restoration. My little abode is a case in point. There are hundreds of houses like mine in this area, most of which probably have more of the "original " elements left than mine does, were built with higher end materials than mine and housed more
historically important and interesting Original owners than mine did. So my philosophy is to repair with original what I can, where I can, and where I cant to use modern materials in as sympathetic manner as I can, within in my means. I feel I have saved this house from an ignominious end at the wrong end of a "wrecking ball" and recycled it for future generations.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby lisascenic on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm

moulded polystyrene foam covered with a vinyl picture of woodgrain glued onto it ...

Oh man oh man....

The discussions I missed during my vacation from this forum!
lisascenic

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum