dcsimg

I love seeing all the new "faces" here

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

I love seeing all the new "faces" here

Postby KathyJB on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 pm

I've been hanging around facebook lately so I haven't been here in a while, but I have to say I love seeing all the new old homes and ideas showing up. I've been spending some time looking over old posts. I see that some folks came here looking for ideas and help, but then when they were asked an opinion, they were kinda ostracized. When you ask an opinion on a forum, you have to expect you won't get the answer you were looking for all the time. Thankfully we live in a country where we are free to disagree. It's the part where you try to change a persons mind to your way of thinking that things start to get all cattywhompus.
In fact I know of one person that keeps getting hate mail, not cool people. No one owns this forum, we all come here to ask for advise or just show off our achievements. (I like those best) Oh I can hear some folks now saying, "just who does she think she is, she doesn't even own an old home." lol, I'm a person who loves old homes. I have always loved old homes, but in my town there are no old homes. But that shouldn't make a difference. What brings us here is our love of old homes and the way of life these homes have shared. (have I said old homes enough?) I wish some things would be dropped and lets move on. I think I'll also take a hiatuse from here again. I don't like the way some of the newer folks are belittled. The phrase "Lol, let's just say we don't agree and shake cyber hands and go on" would be a good thing to adopt. Guess since I turned 50 I just don't have time for arguing. I don't have that much time left on this ol' earth.
KathyJB

Re: I love seeing all the new "faces" here

Postby CountryGirl on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Kathy,
Don't leave :( I don't post much but am on here everyday. I enjoy your comments
and wisdom. :)

Susan
CountryGirl

Postby cberhomengarden on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 pm

I agree.
Hang on and keep this place civil & fun!
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby housecrazy sarah on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Someone's getting "hate mail" from an old house discussion forum?? geesh - some humans are so petty.

Live & let live! That's how I roll.

No sense getting worked up on-line... there's enough crap going on in the "real world".

Peace!
check out my crazy (but humble) house blog: http://www.house-crazy.com/
housecrazy sarah

Postby CivilWarHome on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:33 pm

I think it's the trend of all forums, not just this one. It seems when you get a group of people together there is always some bickering (bullying) going on. Just human nature I guess. I remember when I joined in 2007 and there were a quite a few others that had joined at that time, we pretty much started out the same way- "What style is my new house". If I recall, Barrett (sp) had quite a fit about it. :lol: I have no idea where that poor man is now, last I read he was having issues with the city snow plows, but then again I haven't been on the boards in awhile myself.

I guess when you sit on a forum for awhile you feel as if you have judgement rights, but I think it's important to remember that everyone needs a teacher. When I first joined we were ripping the plaster out of a bedroom. I got set straight real quick :shock: and learned a great deal. :lol:

Regardless, If I would have ran the first time someone got a little snippy, I wouldn't have made it past the first day. Stick around Kathy, If all the nice people leave, who's left? :lol:
Brandy
185? Italianate
Macon, Mo
CivilWarHome

Postby lupinfarm on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:24 am

cattywhompus. Love that word KathyJB...its delish. I agree on this board as in life one must have a fairly thick skin. Different folks do mean different opinions. Isnt that what makes our world interesting. It doesnt mean we cant keep it civilized and remember always not to be overly critical and judgmental. Sad that some one would send PM hate mail. Lifes to short and
stress full to be doing that.
Wishing all OHWebers a wonderful 2012 and thanks for the support you have all shown me.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby KathyJB on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:11 pm

I think it's funny how much I've gotten used to that "like" button :lol: Sure wish there was one here, but since there isn't, I like what you guys are saying. I'm glad I'm not in the minority.
KathyJB

Postby wletson on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:13 am

KathyJB wrote:I think it's funny how much I've gotten used to that "like" button :lol:

I'm with you Kath, I constantly look for the "Like" button. The clown forum I am on has a "Thank you" button and a "Laugh" button. Such a quick way of agreeing with something, or telling someone they made you smile. I love that option! :D
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby KathyJB on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm

How cool is that? VERY. I like the idea of a laugh button
KathyJB

Postby jharkin on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:23 pm

wait..... hate mail? Did I miss some big fight or something?

I guess I don't come here often to notice, I wasn't aware of the bad vibes..... (well with one exception)
jharkin

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum