I love seeing all the new "faces" here

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: I love seeing all the new "faces" here

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:18 am

Me neither JHarkin,

I wondering what I missed?

Most forums have people that are looking for catfight and all it takes is someone to push their political affiliations (and there are forums where that is acceptable, post there!) and they're jumped on which to me is acceptable - I'm talking about travel and you're telling me you hate Obama or Bush :?

Post on the OHW forums that you have installed vinyl windows without researching your audience? I think you should expect to be blasted

Sadly we have lost a member but that was his choice - It's not as though he was banned, he chose to remove himself.

I'm more concered that wletson posts on a clown forum :D
lavender_bush

Postby wletson on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 am

lavender_bush wrote:I'm more concered that wletson posts on a clown forum

Tee hee hee! Why would you be concerned? :D

Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:39 am

Oh, let me think????

I knew you'd fall for it!
lavender_bush

Postby wletson on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 am

Actually, the clown forum is quite a bit like this one. Got a problem, need advice, just want to chat? It took a while to feel welcomed over there originally, but not a bad group of people there. Pictures of outfits instead of houses, but all the same sort of issues, well, kinda. Instead of "The Hangout Forum" it is called "The Clown Cafe". If you really disagree with someone you can throw a pie in their face. Totally humane. :D

It is hard to get into a disagreement with someone who is staring back at you looking like this.

(Face Painting Kat - she's new to clowning but has acted and face painted for years)
warren
wletson

Postby KathyJB on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:54 pm

(Face Painting Kat - she's new to clowning but has acted and face painted for years)[/quote]

Aww, what a cute clown. Say when you push the laugh button do you hear laughter? :lol:

Post on the OHW forums that you have installed vinyl windows without researching your audience? I think you should expect to be blasted

Who said anything about vinyl windows :shock:
KathyJB

Postby wletson on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:36 pm

KathyJB wrote:when you push the laugh button do you hear laughter?

Unfortunately not. :( That would be a hoot though. :)

http://www.clown-forum.com/

Not sure who was talking about vinyl either... :?
warren
wletson

Postby lupinfarm on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Hey I just "tuned in" again to this thread..A clown in our midst, who`d a thought. Have you always clowned around or is
this new? I know grown men who are scared of spiders and clowns. Tee hee :) I guess my secret obsession is quite normal. I just like Chickens. Don`t have any clown chickens though.
Last edited by lupinfarm on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:11 pm

wletson wrote:
Not sure who was talking about vinyl either... :?

Nobody recently - thank goodness I'm just bewildered by new posters that don't research this forum, wonder why we don't agree with their choice to junk original windows and get offended when we are incredibly vocal.

It's up to them if they want to throw their toys out the the pram and leave.
lavender_bush

Postby KathyJB on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Nobody recently - thank goodness I'm just bewildered by new posters that don't research this forum, wonder why we don't agree with their choice to junk original windows and get offended when we are incredibly vocal.
It's up to them if they want to throw their toys out the the pram and leave.

When I first came here, it was for help about my windows. When asked about the age of my home, and after I had told them, it was suggested that I post on a different forum, and that there was some talk about opening a mid-century spot on the board index. No one ever opened a mid-century forum but I was adopted anyway. :D

It's funny how some cyber people can make you feel small and insignificant and others welcome you with open arms. I know by years of reading threads here about the passion you guys have for your grand ladies (or gents if you prefer) I too love Victorian, Four Square, Greek Revival, etc. The one that really gets my heart beating is a Craftsman Bungalow though. Most of the homes in my town look like mine, well mine is prettier as is my yard :twisted: . There is only one home that is near 100 years old and that is the old hotel that is now the grand dame of the town. She was recently painted a lovely soft blue with white trim.

How the town started was from a rich oil and gas strike east of town and beets and plums. People were told if they bought 10 acres in the surrounding area, they would receive a lot in town. And that is why it is next to impossible to buy a lot because most of the people were out of state and probably lost the deed. I have one-1/2 lot in my property like that and another 1/2 lot property that is kept up on taxes. Why that women won't sell me that ded gum lot is beyond me. You can't do much with a 25' x 150' lot. :evil: But I digress.....
KathyJB

Postby s.kelly on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Mid century still had homes built by people that cared. They still (mostly) had good bones and will likely last a long time. Not sure about the ticky tacky crap they are throwing up now. I like the idea of a mid century forum. Some of the folks from retrorenovation might approve as well. That site is not really DIY but has people that like that time period.

Also puzzled about the hate mail and all that. I am a member of a few forums and this is generally the friendliest bunch of any I know of. Some of the others are rough. Surprised to hear issues went that far, I must have been asleep.
s.kelly

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum