dcsimg

I love seeing all the new "faces" here

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: I love seeing all the new "faces" here

Postby KathyJB on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 am

s.kelly wrote:Mid century still had homes built by people that cared. They still (mostly) had good bones and will likely last a long time. Not sure about the ticky tacky crap they are throwing up now. I like the idea of a mid century forum. Some of the folks from retrorenovation might approve as well. That site is not really DIY but has people that like that time period.

Also puzzled about the hate mail and all that. I am a member of a few forums and this is generally the friendliest bunch of any I know of. Some of the others are rough. Surprised to hear issues went that far, I must have been asleep.
KathyJB

Postby wletson on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:19 am

Kathy! That pointy thingy is so cute! :D

lupinfarm wrote:Have you always clowned around or is
this new?

I actually did my first appearance as a clown last may in a Victoria Day Parade. My wife joined a marching band, and the other members were trying to get me to join. I don't play an instrument so I suggested I would lead the band as a clown. (the band dresses as clowns when we do Santa Claus Parades) So I built a wagon that blows bubbles out the back to pull along the parade route. I'm slowly learning some simple gags to entertain the crowd when there are pauses and stuff. I built the wagon and made my costume.
If you happened to watch the Thanksgiving Parade on CTV, you saw us. :D
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby wletson on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:09 am

KathyJB wrote:there was some talk about opening a mid-century spot on the board index.

That always confused me. "Pre-1900" is anything before 1900. "Post-1900" would be anything after 1900. Mid-century would be after 1900, right?

Personally, I think anyone who decides to drop in on our forum, finds it interesting, informative or fun and decides to add to the conversation should feel free to do so. Not everyone here has a showcase home. Not everyone has a restored beauty that people drive by and oggle. Most people here though have a distinct love for their house and are doing the best they can do with what they have, or what they are able. No matter what type of house a person owns, there are always questions or challenges that become much easier if you have a place to go to get answers, suggestions or just a bit of support.

The name of this forum does include the words "renovation" and "repair", not just "restoration". I live in a building that was built 129 years ago and I love it. But if I was to restore it I would have to rip off the addition that has the master bedroom and laundry, pull down all of the walls in the main part of the house, eliminate the kitchen, screw rows of desks back into the floors and cover the west wall with blackboards. I know I'm a unique case, but the point is not everyone can or wants to "restore", but almost everyone wants to do the best with their house as they can. To me, that is what this forum is about.

The idea of turning someone away because their home is too new just doesn't seem right to me. If they came to the forum, there is obviously a reason. Someone with a brand-new McMansion isn't likely to even think about coming here, unless they love old homes, or maybe are interested in them. Why not let them in, make them feel welcome and comfy, and maybe after a while convert them. The more people out there that respect and love older homes, the less likely there will be a great old house torn down somewhere so a new home can be built on the lot.

We are a great bunch of people who have a common interest. I have great friends here that I would have never met otherwise. Granted, I will likely never meet most of you face to face, but that doesn't have any bearing on the fact that I respect and care about you.

Anyway, do the best you can do, treat people the way you would like to be treated, always wear clean underwear in case you get hit by a car and end up in hospital, think happy thoughts and remember "we don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”
<3
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby KathyJB on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks Warren, your words warm the soul.
KathyJB

Postby angolito on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm

lavender_bush wrote:Me neither JHarkin,

I wondering what I missed?

Most forums have people that are looking for catfight and all it takes is someone to push their political affiliations (and there are forums where that is acceptable, post there!) and they're jumped on which to me is acceptable - I'm talking about travel and you're telling me you hate Obama or Bush :?

Post on the OHW forums that you have installed vinyl windows without researching your audience? I think you should expect to be blasted

Sadly we have lost a member but that was his choice - It's not as though he was banned, he chose to remove himself.

I'm more concered that wletson posts on a clown forum :D

^^^^^^^^^ this. and probably the sort who would whine "hate mail" to boot. :roll: its amazing i have lasted here as long as i have, especially since i am a rabidly active poster and opinionated as all get out. if simply advising a relative newb to tone it down, i am probably the "hate-mailer" bwahahahaha.

there are people who i am sure don't respond to my posts, and there people whose posts i ignore. it is the nature of the communication. there are also friends who will send me a welcomed PM warning me to step away from the edge, and i thank them for that. :D
angolito

Postby lavender_bush on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 pm

KathyJB wrote:When I first came here, it was for help about my windows. When asked about the age of my home, and after I had told them, it was suggested that I post on a different forum, and that there was some talk about opening a mid-century spot on the board index. No one ever opened a mid-century forum but I was adopted anyway. :D

Kathy, my 'home' was built in 1964 and Jade (who I expect no one would want to lose from this board) owns a house that is even newer than mine - when we need advice or we have advice to give, the age of our house isn't that important just our passion.
lavender_bush

Postby KathyJB on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Kathy! That pointy thingy is so cute! :D

:oops: I'm never going to live that down am I. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It wasn't Jade who told me anything :D I don't remember who it was and I'm not going to spend any time looking for it. It really doesn't matter who anyway, I ain't a going anywhar! :lol: I'm too addicted to beautiful historic homes. I like jade. She may come off kinda brash to some folks, but if you get to know her you will find she is a big softy. You never know the emotion behind the typed word, are they mad, are they excited, are they just trying to explain something? I'll pm someone if I want to know.

Now I have a question: Do you have a lot of stuff on your walls and such? I've been told twice that I have a lot of stuff and I guess in the 3 years that I've been here I have added to the collection. I have original artwork from Nel Janson http://nelseverydaypainting.blogspot.com/ I love her work and they are very reasonable. I have 3 of her masterpieces. The most expensive item on my wall is this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/63309101/18x24-inch-print-of-pecking-order but not because of the cost of the print, the cost of the frame about gave me a heart attack :shock: but I love it.
KathyJB

Postby KathyJB on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Here is a picture of one of the oldest buildings in town, the 1909 Sheridan Hotel. I remember walking by after school on the way to the Dairy Delight and stopping to look at the parrot one of the residents owned. I remember the antiques inside were so pretty. The brick pathway is new. It even has a basement or had. They filled it in. Basements around here are futile, too much rain and sandy soil.
Attachments
1909 hotel.jpg
1909 hotel.jpg (163.48 KiB) Viewed 6883 times
KathyJB

Postby jade mortimer on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:53 pm

#@$#whaddya mean i can come off as brash??!! wtf? @!#$%
xoxo......jade
jade mortimer

Postby KathyJB on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 pm

jade mortimer wrote:#@$#whaddya mean i can come off as brash??!! wtf? @!#$%