I love seeing all the new "faces" here

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: I love seeing all the new "faces" here

Postby lavender_bush on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:33 am

jade mortimer wrote:#@$#whaddya mean i can come off as brash??!! wtf? @!#$%
xoxo......jade

You're a sweetheart, I know cos I've met you, you're a kind and generous person - even if you do live in a new house :lol:
lavender_bush

Postby KathyJB on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:12 pm

lavender_bush wrote:
jade mortimer wrote:#@$#whaddya mean i can come off as brash??!! wtf? @!#$%
xoxo......jade

You're a sweetheart, I know cos I've met you, you're a kind and generous person - even if you do live in a new house :lol:

I agree whole heartedly. jade is one of a kind, and I'm glad she's my friend. :D
KathyJB

Postby lupinfarm on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:44 pm

I whole heartedly agree with Warren..My little cottage is not going to make the list of " Historically important" structures
its not going to receive accolades from the Preservation society in my area and no prominent local lived in it. Its owners
though thought enough to build it and put their love into it with the expectation that it would last. That is what has happened
in spite of and not because of anything the more recent POs have done. If I was to try and restore it I would be a) bankrupted
b) dead before I finish and C) looking for a new house as I would have to demolish about 40% of it. Unless you are on a
Donald Trump stipend, then its not happenin' baby. I do try to do the best I can, not just for my own gratification but for
those who inherit the house after me, but there are limits.
Another thought ( yes I do go on). There are good examples of all the many architectural styles, and just because I don't
happen to like a particular style doesn't mean I cant admire the craftsmanship. Funny that when I was in college I really
really had a thing for Le Corbusier and Frank Lloyd Right and the Modern movement.
I guess what I am trying to say is that there is something to be admired in just about any architectural style. So lets
be open minded and let all join who have an interest in houses of the past, no matter what period.
Okay Lecture over Phew!
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby KathyJB on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm

That Frank Lloyd Wright home that was built over a creek in the mountains is really awesome. I know it has a name but I can't remember it. There are some really cool 50's era homes. I like the site http://retrorenovation.com/

Let's just admit it, we love architecturally interesting homes. :shock: I'm going to tell you what I do in the evenings while watching tv sometimes. I get on Realtor.com or Homes.com and look for homes in Texas, but only from the 60's on back. Sometimes they don't have enough pictures so I look for the name of the realtor and try and find their web page. You get a little more info and more pictures sometimes.
I'm hoping my daughter will move back to our county and can get a job with the Sheriff's Dept. I don't like her working in Harris county. We just bought my sisters two lots that abuts ours. There used to be a house there, but it burned down in the 80's so all that's left is a funky green garage that needs new siding and boards on the bottom frame work. I would even consider seeing how much a small home would cost to be built there if she came back. The lots come with electricity and water, I would have to pay to get the sewer hooked up.
I think I got off topic didn't I?
KathyJB

Postby lupinfarm on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi KathyJB ....I do that to, only right now there isn't to much on the MLS here. I did find a 19century converted Chapel and
a Gambrel roofed shed that has been converted into a house, there was also one of those what my kid calls a "Land boob"
you know the dome like thing for storing gravel in that was turned into a hotel, but mostly I just ogle Victorian houses and
commercial buildings. It is nice to see what other people do with their houses.
I hope your dreams for you daughter moving back home come true. My daughter moved to another town for University. The
town looks okay but the crime rate is high, drugs, alcohol and hookers galore, it is a worry. She works nights at a sub shop
in the downtown strip, her clientele aren't the nicest.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby James on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 pm

The Frank Lloyd Wright house is Falling Water.
I guess at times lots of us on here can throw a few verbal barbs around. But it is NOTHING like you see on some other places on the web.
But if someone comes on here and starts talking vinyl, they will hear it, and as long as I am on here, that won't change. Can't stand that stuff.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby KathyJB on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:56 pm

I don't know I've mentioned this, but if I haven't there's no better time to come out of the closet. :evil:

Hi, my name is Kathy and I have Pella double paned vinyl windows with E-grade shading on EVERY WINDOW IN MY HOUSE and I'm PROUD OF IT. :roll:
KathyJB

Postby angolito on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:58 pm

lemme go get my cheese and wine. 8)
angolito

Postby KathyJB on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Actually I take that back, I have 6-double paned WOOD Anderson windows in my house. :D But the rest ARE PLASTIC.
KathyJB

Postby cs on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Fallingwater is great. It's a short drive from where I grew up. It's open to the public and well worth the trip if you are in South Western PA.

If you like satisfying real estate listings and interesting mid-century architecture, here's a very cool Streamline Moderne style house that belongs to a friend of mine: http://www.propertylistingspro.com/los- ... eRoad.com/ He's sort of half-heartedly trying to sell. But not really. It's a house that makes no sense for him to keep financially, but he can't bear to give it up. He rents it out for movie locations frequently, which helps. A cool place.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum