dcsimg

The wierdest thing just happened to me!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

The wierdest thing just happened to me!

Postby lupinfarm on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:54 pm

I was just lazing around this afternoon, having nothing to do, when a car came up my driveway. I went out to greet the
people who I assumed had come to buy eggs( I sell free run eggs). Sure enough the lady did want eggs, I told her I dont
really have any right now as the girls arent laying much this time of year.She replied" Oh that's okay I was just using it
as an excuse to come and look at the old house, I used to live here in 2005" Apparently her family lived here for 53 years and
they were the people who renovated the house and added the bedrooms upstairs. It gets better, she says she has photos
of the house pre renovation ( at this news I was jumping up and down with glee, on the inside) and she is going to email them
to me. Her husband, who was with her is a water color artist and an architect and he says he is going to do a water color of
the house as it is now and would it be okay for him to take a picture. Of course I said it was. They also answered some
nagging questions I have had since the day we moved in. I have a little shed out the front of my house that must be 90 years old and in it is a large cement bunker with an old board and batten lid, she says it was a cold store for milk churns from the
local dairy, milk was kept cool by water trickling down the hill side and collecting in the bunker. The local dairy would drop off
a cart load of churns and the family would sell the milk on to the local farmers. Cool or what!. :)
I feel like a kid in a candy store, cant wait for their email with the pics. I invited them to visit in the summer when the kitchen
and livingroom are done.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Re: The wierdest thing just happened to me!

Postby cberhomengarden on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Now that is just amazing!
That must have really brightened up your day.
:-)
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby lupinfarm on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi..yes it did..they seemed really pleased at the changes we have made to the house. Can't wait to get their email. Told my
hubby and he said it must be a kind of good omen, that we are meant to stay here. He wants to find out more about the POs
before these people too.
lupinfarm

Postby angolito on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:39 pm

made me smile fo you reading this. :D
angolito

Postby jade mortimer on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:34 pm

happy news for lupin--YAY!!!
jade mortimer

Postby lavender_bush on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 pm

We met the previous owners of our house and when they came for a second visit they brought a stack of molding, stained glass windows and the built in cabinet that they'd removed from the dining room.

The house was taken from them by Eminent Domain so I really don't blame them for feeling bitter and I hope they know how grateful the Purple House is to have them returned and put back in their rightful place.

Jade worked her magic on this beauty
lavender_bush

Postby wletson on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:47 am

That's so cool! It will be great to have some pre-reno pictures. :D
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:20 pm

I dream of that happening--former owners just driving up.

Those stained glass windows are gorgeous, but the way. Have you been holding out on us? I haven't seen a post, or maybe I missed it. Perhaps I should add that I dream of that happening, too--Jade re-doing my stained glass. I don't trust myself.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

Postby lupinfarm on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 pm

HI...Yes it was kind of surreal..haven't heard back from them yet. I did Google the husband, since he gave me his business
card I felt he had invited me to do some friendly snooping. He is one "cool dude". I just don't know if I should call him and
say "Thank you" for dropping by and showing an interest in the "Old place". May be seen as a bit pushy. I thought it was neat
that he wanted to do a water color painting of the house for his wife. He was a very unassuming kind of person, very friendly
and not at all pretentious. The wife was obviously very proud of her husband as she introduced him as " This is my husband
Musa he is an artist and an architect" That immediately got my "Snooping radar" activated. When they left I went straight
to the computer and Googled the hubby. I invited them back in the summer to do the "Grand Tour" of the house and have
tea on the lawn. I know what your thinking, that's so what a proper Victorian English lady would have done. Well I may be
English but I don't think I am a genteel lady. Who knows they may come back with trim and original fixtures.But then they
would need an 18 wheeler. :lol:
lupinfarm

Postby CountryGirl on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Lupin, I'm so excited for you. I hope they return and enjoy tea on the lawn. :D

Susan
CountryGirl

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum