dcsimg

The wierdest thing just happened to me!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: The wierdest thing just happened to me!

Postby Texas_Ranger on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:21 am

Kansas. 1911. wrote:I dream of that happening--former owners just driving up.

Can't happen to us... all our POs are six feet under and we even know where (small village).

We did find some pre-purchase photos but only exterior shots and tiny 3x4 B&W prints taken in 1976. Apparently at that time the house only had minimal wiring (not even ceiling lights in all rooms and 2 outlets total) all on one circuit and no plumbing at all. There's a well in front of the house (city property once shared by several houses, now only used for fire trucks, the hand pump was removed some years ago) and the plans the PO drew show an outhouse in the back yard. It's in one of the pictures too and didn't even have a real door - just a board frame covered with old plastic bags!
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby Eden on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Same happened to me a few months back. I was up to the farm and visited our local historical society. My house is an 1847 cube Italianate with an ell added on years ago. The original owners lived there from 1847-1959 and a descendant visiting an old aunt in town dropped by the historical society and left her email for me as she heard the farm was sold to me in April 2011.

I'm the 4th owner and I just happened to choose that day to visit the historical society. Well, wow for me too! She had family history and pictures copied for me, even aerial shots of the farm, all in a neat, tidy packet. Everything looks the same. A few old sheds are gone, but the rest is as is, pristine -unbelievable! She's in Connecticut and will be visiting again this summer w/more to share.. I'm hoping for inside pictures, I am so lucky!
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

1912 Gordon-Van Tine House Plan #122
"Be The Change You Want to see in the World," Ghandi
Eden

Postby pqtex on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm

A couple of weeks ago, my cousin dropped off an envelope of photos, one of which is of our grandmother about 1936 or 1937. The house is not visible, but in the background are two of the barns that used to be on the property! My father used to describe them to me when he told stories about his boyhood escapades, but I didn't know what they looked like. Now I know where they were on the property and what they looked like! :D
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby lupinfarm on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Well I must say I am disappointed, my POs haven't been back in touch. Well I guess I am amongst a dwindling number of
people who when they say they are going to do something, they actually dot it. Now I feel kind of used, or at least my little
house feels used. Was all the small talk just so they could take a picture of the house from up close? That thought makes
me mad and sad. Any how I have decided to check out the local historical society in the spring. As an added perk the historical
society is housed in Glanmore house a national historical site ( see the thread, I posted a link to it there). I can check out
local history whilst ogling the interiors and getting ideas, perhaps pictures. I also plan on advertising in the local newspaper
a lot of the locals advertise stuff there, so maybe an ad appealing for information and photos of the house could be a good idea.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby eclecticcottage on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm

That's a bummer. I've wondered if previous owners of the Cottage ever drive by. I know where the most recent PO is since we bought it directly from him vs a realtor, but I don't know that he ever even saw it. I'd love to find one from many years ago. I can tell from the landscape at one point someone really took pride in it but it's quite overgrown so it's been years. We just found an older (20 or so years ago) survey that explained the concrete blocks "randomly" placed in the yard-there used to be sheds there. I'd love to know what it looked like back then, and before...most especially when someone planted the "heritage" plants like the lilacs, wisteria and weigalia.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby lavender_bush on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Kansas. 1911. wrote:Those stained glass windows are gorgeous, but the way. Have you been holding out on us? I haven't seen a post, or maybe I missed it. Perhaps I should add that I dream of that happening, too--Jade re-doing my stained glass. I don't trust myself.

HaHa.. it was a couple of years ago and there is a post here somewhere because we attended a Window Workshop (free) that Jade held which gave us the chance to meet her, hand the window over to her care and also pick up some tips from the workshop.

While I'm perfectly happy to work on the other windows - I really didn't want to mess with that window because it's next to the front door and it's the first window any visitors will see, although most folks come in through the basement door. Plus I was really worried about removing the small pieces without breaking them and since they're textured? I couldn't have done the amazing job that Jade did with the puttying.
lavender_bush

Postby lupinfarm on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:22 pm

I couldn't stand it anymore. I just shot off a short email to them, thanking them for dropping by and showing interest in
the house and inviting them to drop by in the summer if they are in the area. I also mentioned that any pictures they have
of the house ( pre renovations) would be welcome. They may respond, may not , who knows.
lupinfarm

Postby eclecticcottage on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:33 pm

I'll cross my fingers for you!
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby lupinfarm on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi electiccottage...you can uncross those aching fingers now. No response to my email. Oh well, just another disappointment
to bear. I am planning on putting an ad in the local newspaper this summer asking if anyone has pictures. You can cross
your fingers again then.
I guess I will have to stop taking people at their word. :(
lupinfarm

Postby housecrazy sarah on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:22 pm

what a bummer they didn't get back to you!!!!

Got my hopes up too! Oh well. Maybe they have something going on in their lives.

It's neat to have people stopping by and admiring your house though!

I wish so badly that a former owner or tenant would come by my house. So much of it's past is such a mystery! We don't even know who built it or when exactly it was built.
check out my crazy (but humble) house blog: http://www.house-crazy.com/
housecrazy sarah

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum