dcsimg

Hay Banks

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Hay Banks

Postby Eden on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 am

This is what's going on with us, well the us in NY. A few months back there was an article in one of my local free papers in MD about a hay bank for people with horses that have hit hard times and were having trouble coming up with money to feed them. Recently, Jenn (rents my barn & pastures) and I were talking about how depressed our area of NY is and of people with the same problems, having to sell their horses - which snowballed into another problem as not many people can afford to buy a horse in our area either and the next option for the horses is the auction or slaughter house.

There is a rescue down the road that says she will mother the hay bank because she's already on an approved grant and will take the hay bank under her wing as such. Our farm will be able to foster some horses. We are really proud to be the 1st Hay Bank in NY. We hope to have media coverage in order to alert folks of our need for donations. We have hopes of doing even more for the horses and owners. We have a vet willing to castrate stallions, and Jenn is hoping her connection w/Nicky Kurty, a world class barrel racer and another farmer down the road who use to train trotters and pacers (standardbreds) will both help get some of our foster rescues trained and ready for new homes. This is just the beginning for us. I'll be moving permanently to my NY farm in July after I sell my MD house, I'm retiring!!!

Here's the Hay Bank near me in MD which has all the info right there to get anyone started:

http://www.marylandhaybank.org/

and here's some other states doing the same:

http://forloveofthehorse.com/forum/inde ... pic=1088.0
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

1912 Gordon-Van Tine House Plan #122
"Be The Change You Want to see in the World," Ghandi
Eden

Re: Hay Banks

Postby lupinfarm on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Eden...A haybank what a great idea. I just had to re-home my pony, money is really tight right now and I was down to my
last round bale and couldn't see having more money in the budget to buy additional bales. You know it makes me angry when
you see piles of rotting hay bales in fields all around here. A hay bank here could be the answer to all the waste and help out
owners who have hit hard times. I tip my hat to you. :)
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby Eden on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks Lupin

First to Lupin, I'm sorry you had to give up your pony, I can imagine how hard that was. You did right by him/her, and as such, I tip my hat to you too. Perhaps you can contact your local paper about the waste of hay and need for it so it will reach a wide audience in making people aware, also contact a local rescue as we did?

I was instrumental in the hay bank, but Jenn contacted a local rescue and through her personal connections she is able to expand on resources in getting rescues re-homed.

My farm isn't large enough to be a hay bank, we have 2 rescues though. I'm not a crazy animal lady, but people need to think hard on the fact that animals, especially domestic animals are at our mercy. They have no choice in receiving food, medical attention, shelter or a responsible owner. They may spend their lives tied to a tree w/sores covering their body. Keep your eyes open, think about this!

I've seen road kill and wondered how long that animal laid there, suffering before it died... In fact, last week I saw a fluff of hair lying in someone's yard, some little dog breed and I pulled over to see if it was alive, it wasn't, but what if?

Everyday people walk/ride right by skinny, suffering, beat up strays, some strays run and hide, others approach hoping for a kind hand and food. Are people too busy or just don't care? How can this be? Yes, I know most of them are unapproachable, so make some calls. Even euthanasia is better than starvation and pain, get that animal help. Who was it that said, "we can judge a country by the way they treat their animals"or something like that?

Hmmm, seems like I AM coming across as a crazy animal lady, LOL. Yet, as a long standing member here, I know we have many here that have taken that extra step.

Report, take in, donate! Thanks for reading my rant/cause.
Last edited by Eden on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

Eden

Postby lupinfarm on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:29 am

Hi Eden..I quite agree with you, and no you are not a "Crazy animal lady". Those that abuse animals are doing the same to
the humans in their lives. I was sad to let my pony go, but the lady who has her now says I can visit when I like, so I am
happy for that. I still have my doggies and chickens and a couple of cats, so quite enough animals to look after. Hoping
in the spring ( once I have repaired fences damaged in a mini tornado last summer) to rent out my which will help pay
for some needed outside housing for my two doggies. I need an insulated and heated shed for the dogs. All this and an old falling down farmhouse to restore.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby Eden on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 pm

This is the Rescue Jen contacted concerning a hay bank in Oxford, a few years back but...

http://www.oxfordny.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2264

Now, this is how well it's progressed. The video gets graphic halfway through, I had to turn it off before it finished.

http://equinedestiny.com/
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

Eden

Postby jklare on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:40 pm

That's pretty neat, I don't know of any hay banks down here (but that is probably because in the central bluegrass, land is so expensive only the wealthy can have enough for horses). I hope to own a small horse rescue/retired racehorse farm to retire on myself one day, though!

Lupin, I wonder if the roundbales you see laying out in the field aren't for livestock? Many breeds of horses have a VERY hard time with roundbales because they get sick from the mold that tends to grow on them(especially on those bales that get even just a bit of moisture on them). Cows don't mind since they can puke, unlike a horse. It also could just be straw? With the droughts my region has had, I cant imagine hay being left to rot unless it was not good enough for sale.

Its always funny to see a cow get its head stuck in a roundbale from eating the soft, dry middle out of the bale, only to have the top half collapse on it!
jklare

Postby Eden on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm

"I hope to own a small horse rescue/retired racehorse farm to retire on myself one day, though!"

You need to retire in a depressed area, that's how I managed to finally realize that dream.
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

Eden

Postby jklare on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Yeah, my plan is to start one up in rural northern KY. A 40 acre farm can be had for about $200,000 an about half an hour to Cincinnati, if you play it right. Of course you'd need to put in your own paddocks and reseed though.
jklare

Postby Lynners on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:08 pm

There is truly an abundance of hay in my area - the old collapsed barn that was on the field surrounding our property was full of it.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Postby Don M on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:47 am

The unwanted horse is a real problem these days. There are so many horses bred each year & many go begging when they are not successful on the track, show ring or in the back yard. The problem has been exacerbated by the closure of US Horse Slaughter plants. I hate the thought of good horses being slaughtered but even that is better than being abandoned, starved or released into the wild where they can't fend for themselves. Horse slaughter has not stopped; many horses are shipped to Canadian & Mexican slaughter plants from the US every week. Horse rescue groups are also overwhelmed with too many horses. Somehow we need to reduce the number of horses foaled every year. In Kentucky alone there will be 8000 new TB foals on the ground this spring; how many will be successful on the track? I give great credit to you all for helping any horses you can & the hay bank is an excellent response to this serious problem.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum