dcsimg

question for old house owners...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Re: question for old house owners...

Postby lupinfarm » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I am like most of you I am pretty certain many generations of farmers have lived and died in this house. From time to time
I see the faint shadows of two people dressed in black Victorian clothing ( a man in a top hat and suit and a woman in
a black stiff bonnet and dress) pass outside the back kitchen window. They don't bother me. I think they are just keeping
an "eye" on what the new owners are doing. If some person or persons had met a violent and untimely death here that would
be different.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby Infogeek » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 am

I can only assume in a 120-yr old house that someone died there at some point. I have a friend who is a 'ghost hunter' of sorts, so I invited her over to see if she senses anyone there. Just for curiosity's sake.

The house has a very friendly positive vibe, and it seemed to want me to buy it. :lol:
Jon

1890s Farm House
Infogeek

Postby Civil War Seamstress » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:45 am

My house was built in 1880. I am sure there were others, but I know for certain sure that the mother of the son I speak to who grew up in the house was born here and died here. I know which room, and no, it doesn't bother me. I plan on being among the body count at some point...hope I don't scare people off when they find out I died where I was happy! :D
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby 2ndline » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Our house has hosted many funerals over the last 170+ years, but I know of no deaths. The house I grew up in however, was built in 2 parts, 1836, and 1850. After my mother sold the house it was disassembled stone by stone and moved to a new site. When the stairs were removed from the 1850 section of the house, they found a dress for a little girl, 5 years or younger, was found weighed down by bricks to the floorboards. This section under the first 5 treads had been sealed off since the house was constructed. Historians said the owner of this dress died during construction. Weighing it down with bricks kept the little girls spirit from wandering around. I lived there for 25 years and never saw any wandering spirits, so I guess the bricks worked! :) The whole thing made the local paper and the dress is on display at a local museum.
2ndline

Postby MrGrady » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 pm

The Birdsall family that built our house had 10 children. Only 4 survived to adulthood.

I'm sure there were many others that died here...
The Birdsall House- Built 1868, Queen Anne renovation 1895
MrGrady

Postby teeny0518 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:09 am

It doesn't scare me at all, but my husband freaks out! I figure, at this age, people died in the house, it's inevitable. And how often in a day do we likely pass through or spend time in a place where someone passed? Think about how many YEARS of people have existed on this earth!

I fell in love with this house even though someone was murdered on the front steps a few years ago. A man was coming home from work and a guy tried to rob him and ended up killing him. We didn't buy it though because it is a high crime area (other than the obvious). But it is a BEAUTY!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.sibcycline.com/viewlisting.a ... e-OH-45229
teeny0518

Postby Don M » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:16 am

Wow, some house---says major & cosmetic work required---sure doesn't look like it!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby cberhomengarden » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 pm

I don't think it would bother me to know people had died in our house. My daughter, on the other hand, would not be able to handle that information. Lol!

Don M wrote:Wow, some house---says major & cosmetic work required---sure doesn't look like it!

That comment by the realtor doesn't even seem to fit with this house?!?!
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby S Melissa » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:09 pm

We know that the original owner of our house committed suicide after being injured in a horse accident. He did it in the barn which WAS across the street. We think he haunted us for a few years, but now, is safely at peace. I hope to haunt my house when I'm gone, and I hope who ever owns her down the road will take kindly to me continuing to take care of her from beyond the grave. And I hope, I just wake up dead one morning in my own bed, dog sleeping under it, and the sun shining in, rather than strapped to some hospital bed gasping for air, tubes, and wires and such all around. Yep - I hope the next owner will ask "did anyone die here?" and they'll say - "yep - old lady McLaughlin went to her maker, right c'here in this here bed!" Yea! :D
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby osirus226 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I think I'd be a little bit bothered by a murder or a suicide, but I would not be bothered with someone dying in my home peacefully.

When children are the ones to pass, I think that would make me a bit sad as well.
osirus226

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum