dcsimg

1940 Census

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: 1940 Census

Postby cberhomengarden on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:19 pm

I've been spending time looking for my house as well as my grandparents' houses.
It is not easy, but I finally found the Enumeration District for my house. They divided up the neighborhood in an odd way, so I first found my neighbors' house on the next block, but ours was in a totally different ED.
I had to go page by page through the 33 pg map of the borough of Queens to find it.
It had the 1930 ED listed in darker ink. The 1940 ED was very light and I would have missed it if I didn't know the neighbor's ED.

I found out that we are NOT the second owners of the house, but most likely the third owners.
Our head of household was 35 yrs old & a real estate broker, with a wife, also 35, a son 7, & a daughter 5.
He made $2800 the prior year in income.
The house was valued at I think $4600.
Oddly my next door neighbor's house was valued at $5100, and it's the exact same house & lot size. This gives us more reason to think the garage was added later (it is not listed on our original deed).

I find it fascinating to view the forms. I kept thinking that my kids probably can't read the script handwriting.

I still haven't found my grandparents, so I'm not sure I have their correct address for 1940.
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby nezwick on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Mine is valued at $1200.00 in 1930, but only $900 in 1940. That doesn't really make sense to me, since one would think that property values would be low just after the "crash" but would have rebounded after 10 years.

Those numbers just blow my mind. Last year it appraised at $81,000 ish, which is average for the old, run-down housing stock around here. Crazy amount of inflation.

Interesting point re. the cursive writing - I am 23 and I can read it fine, but I can't write it. We learned it in Elementary school but I haven't used it since like 4th grade. It's probably going to be totally lost on this generation growing up now.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web
nezwick

Postby McCall on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Finally found my house, in Weirton, in 1940 it was owned by A.G Davis age 77 or 91 not sure which, wish they printed back then, his wife Mauguerite, age 37, [you go guy] brother in law Frank Latkievng? age 26, his wife Charlotte age 29, Frank Junior, and son Arthur age 1.
Seems A.G was from Greece and was a Real Estate Broker.
Value of home in 1940 was 15K.
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!
McCall

Postby mross_pitt on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Wow, how did they keep track of the info? My street is divided up on numerous pages(various streets in between)...no house numbers,...and my home's original owner is listed towards the end and under no street at all.

I knew all the info provided because the person who built our home lived by herself to the age of 102 She had the house designed by an architect. The house was valued at $9500. Is that provided by the owner? She worked for the phone company and made almost 3 times the average salary for the 1940's.
mross_pitt

Postby YinzerMama on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 pm

mross_pitt wrote:Wow, how did they keep track of the info? My street is divided up on numerous pages(various streets in between)...no house numbers,...and my home's original owner is listed towards the end and under no street at all.

Yeah Shaler is a mess. I don't know how other places compare. Did they really not have house numbers here back then, do you know???

the gorgeous stone porch house across from me was rented at $21 a month!!!
Last edited by YinzerMama on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby oldhouseluvr on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:59 pm

56 pages in my district but I finally found our house. None of the houses are numbered, but I have done research on our POs and know msot (maybe all) of the family names. I was surprised, however, to discover that the house was rented in 1940. The tenants paid $25/month. The Lilley family lived here and included Leonard, Leonice, their two children - James and Mary Jane, and Leonard's father, James Sr.
oldhouseluvr

Postby YinzerMama on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 pm

oldhouseluvr wrote:56 pages in my district but I finally found our house. None of the houses are numbered, but I have done research on our POs and know msot (maybe all) of the family names. I was surprised, however, to discover that the house was rented in 1940. The tenants paid $25/month. The Lilley family lived here and included Leonard, Leonice, their two children - James and Mary Jane, and Leonard's father, James Sr.

I am surprised to find mine was rented as well.

A lot of houses seemed to be.

I wonder if there "landlord" was the bank? Is it possible renters just didnt own outright?

My house was rented for 75 a month and my neighbors for 21 - which is crazy as her house is a very nice house and just as big.
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby mross_pitt on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:12 am

Did they really not have house numbers here back then, do you know???

I think they had to have house numbers by 1940. There were a lot of houses in Shaler by then. However, I did find lots of old boxes shipped to my previous 1920's house, and they were shipped to RFD(rural free delivery) box numbers.
mross_pitt

Postby cberhomengarden on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:51 am

mross_pitt wrote:
Did they really not have house numbers here back then, do you know???

I think they had to have house numbers by 1940. There were a lot of houses in Shaler by then. However, I did find lots of old boxes shipped to my previous 1920's house, and they were shipped to RFD(rural free delivery) box numbers.

That's a good point, the house where I grew up still had a RFD # address until we moved out in the late 80's.
I guess the postal workers just knew who lived where.
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby jwesevich on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 am

I got a kick out of one entry in my town where this very detailed family + rent, etc. info was provided by "next door neighbor."

Gotta love small towns! :)
jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"
jwesevich

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum