what did you get done on your house today?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

eclecticcottage

Re: what did you get done on your house today?

Post by eclecticcottage »

Scraped, sanded, filled, caulked and painted another window. Also worked on the wood mountain again. And bought some window boxes.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

Abuela

Post by Abuela »

lavender_bush wrote:Way, way, way back here on the forums is a post where not only did I brag about the cost of the hex tile (less than $14 a box instead of $50+) on a return shelf at Lowes but I also laid it out on our living room carpet and posted the picture here. I think that was in 2009 :oops:
Oh puhleeze, that's nothing: I tore out my bath surround plus random section of drywall in my bathroom and scored some hex tile from our own CS back in 2008 -- even wrote on the wall behind the removed drywall about the bathroom being remodeled in '08 AND posted a bunch of pics here somewhere -- and then my 20m old granddaughter moved in and almost nothing has happened for over four years. Yes, I've lived with big random holes in my bathroom wall, plus cheap shower curtains stapled up around the bathtub in lieu of a surround or tile, for over four years. The only things that have been done in that time is that I did the electric work for the vanity lights, my dad moved a receptacle for me, and I had a wonderful delightful amazingly deep soaking tub plus new bath fixtures (rainshower head above plus a hand-held shower on a bar) plus a toilet that actually flushes installed in December.

But related to that, today I inventoried the tile that I have and did some research and reading on tile installation and did a few more design sketches that helped confirm that my design skills completely suck and that the bathroom's going to look like crap if I don't get design help, plus I repaired and hung a birdhouse. I also did three loads of laundry, cooked dinner for my family, and took a nap in the hammock!
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

Abuela! I can SO sympathize with your comment about the shower liners hanging around the shower/tub area! When my plaster walls around the shower began to crumble apart, I tried everything (2 heavy coats of Kilz and a layer of white outdoor oil based paint) to keep it together until I could afford the supplies to do my bath walls. All the paint & Kilz began to lift & bubble over time....so I put nails in the walls & hung the liners from there. I was never so happy as the day the bath walls were tiled & were cured enough to actually shower in there. A very close second was when it was all finished & I could shower, potty & brush my teeth all in the same room! :D
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

steponmebbbboom

Post by steponmebbbboom »

just picked up a 1927 Standard 60" ball-and-claw tub for $60! He was going to throw it away. Needs reglazing but it's all there!
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"

eclecticcottage

Landscaping...lots of it. For the past few days. No pics, it's all bare root so it just looks like dead sticks right now.

And picked up a 4c kitchenaid for $25 a few days ago. Before pics on blog, no cleaned pics yet because I haven't had time to clean it yet.

1880 Stick Victorian

Post by 1880 Stick Victorian »

Have gotten an early start on exterior stripping and sanding this year. Usually it seems the middle to the end of May but we had some great weather in March ( and not so hot weather in April). With any luck i'll be able to get the entire front stripped, sanding, primed and painted unless the weather doesn't cooperate. Was able to find an Amish cabinet builder who was able to re-create a panel above two of the second story windows that was removed after the attic fire in 1929...I am really excited when i get to put something back on the house that had been removed....

took this the day we brought it home and its made out of reclaimed barn wood..
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880

steponmebbbboom

Today was a good day, first run at mowing the back lawn with an electric mower bought in the classifieds for $20 (just needed a $20 shear coupler). Works great!
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"

steponmebbbboom

My back fence is now a gate. Too late and too tired to take pictures. Made the frame with 4x4 PT lumber and two Peak gate kits. Two of the old fence posts were cut down for the gates to rest on, and bored for cane latches. The whole span is about 12', and working alone it took about 10 hours. In another 4, I should have it trimmed out and a locking latch installed. Now I can get into my backyard!
Mainwaring House 1911

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Well I finally got my "warsh" machine down cellar and hooked up, with lots of help of the neighbour. The first time in my life I have had a wash machine in my own house to use.
Attachments
laundry.jpg
laundry.jpg (165.51 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/

eclecticcottage

Scraped and painted two more windows-this time there are pics on my blog. Scraped a third, this one didn't have storms so DH repointed and reglazed it as well. Waiting for the glazing to completely cure before painting. Still need to do the insides of the windows and frames, but at least the parts that are exposed to the weather are taken care of for the most part. Also need to fill many, many holes in the siding, and some little ones in the foundation.