dcsimg

what did you get done on your house today?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: what did you get done on your house today?

Postby kathyd on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Well, I didn't do it, but had it done yesterday. Thirteen floor boards on porch replaced, steps replaced and two layers of trim board on the porch replaced. The painters will come back and take care of the painting.

Before:

After:

kathyd

Postby chooseopen on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Looks nice kathy!
Jason Elwell - Canton, IL
My 1896 Victorian - Follow our progress on our Blog
chooseopen

Postby Texas_Ranger on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:22 am

Over the past few weeks we tiled the complete water closet, most of the bathroom (except the tub area and around the window because we absolutely have to replace the rotted window) and sanded the reclaimed oak floor (3" and 3 3/4" T&G). The plumber installed the toilet, so we finally have a working toilet. We ripped out the old one in 2009 and always had to walk across the street. I also stripped one door down to mostly bare wood and started sifting through our salvaged trim collection. I won't strip the door all the way because it clearly wasn't intended to be bare, huge knots and everything, but the old paint was crumbling so I HAD to get it off before I could repaint. Besides, there were about 10 layers of paint slapped on, including a red heart stenciled to the outside of the door (the heart cutout is the European equivalent of the crescent in the outhouse door). We definitely hope to get the heat up and running before it gets cold.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby gluby174 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:03 am

Rented one of those big floor sanders from HD,sanded the porch and first coat of stain

gluby174

Postby pqtex on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 am

No pictures of this yet, but this week, I finally finished the drapes/window coverings for my master bedroom and guest room, hung the drapery rods and put them all up. I still have to install the tiebacks. I also washed windows inside and out. Today I have to re-caulk the bathtub/shower in the guest bath.

Nothing like an impending visit by family to inspire me to finish projects and clean house!

Still haven't finished the columns for the front porch--we've had so much rain that I haven't been able to work on them--to much moisture in the air. Was hoping to get that done by the end of summer, but it's going to take a little longer.

Jill
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:30 am

kathy...the porch floor looks great!!

gluby174... is this a porch or a deck? looks great... just curious as to why you had to rent a sander as the ends of the wood look brand new?

started painting about a week ago...but more important was getting rid of a window that was installed after the fire about 1928-29... i don't know what the heck they were thinking there were no other windows in the entire house that looked like this and it has bugged me for the 4.5 years that we owned the house. my neighbor gave us a window, frame and storm. its one inch narrower than the original but the height is perfect. Because i have never done anything like this, our buddy greg came over to help install..actually he installed it...i played gopher... it took two days and the sashes still have to go in but right now the storm will suffice.

i was just removing the shingles last friday to be ready for saturday.

hole cut and framing left to do.

because the new old salvaged window is narrower that the 1928 window, molding that separated the shingles from the tongue in groove had to be reproduced to fill in the 9 to 10 inches on either side of the new window. greg had an idea to reproduce the concave molding and it matched perfectly...took him a while but he got it.

where the old molding stopped..you get a good view on how it was attached...

one of the reproduced piece

frame and new molding installed, time to put the shingles back on...

all done....took 84 years but she is back how she use to look...now on to priming and painting...
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby eclecticcottage on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:05 pm

We decided we needed to fix the bedroom door...because whomever rebuilt the all between the hall and the bedroom apparently didn't believe in using a level, it wouldn't close. Somehow, that turned into us tearing out the icky carpet that I hated (found the floors that we were told were totally a mess were actually fine-yay! Wood floors!), which lead to removing the faux wood paneling, which meant we saw the water damage that supposedly ruined the floors actually ruined the drywall and lead to mold, so we tore that all out. Now our bedroom is gutted! I'm taking a break from de-nailing the studs because Dh needed the stool for something...oh well, we knew when we bought it there was water damage. I'm just happy the floors are fine!
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby gluby174 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:19 am

gluby174... is this a porch or a deck? looks great... just curious as to why you had to rent a sander as the ends of the wood look brand new?
Long story but it is the first stage of my wraparoud porch,I milled the lumber from 2x8's into t&g decking that I found on craigs list,after I installed the boards many became cuped ,so I sanded the deck to flaten them out,will begin the roof section soon,Gene
gluby174

Postby PowerMuffin on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:56 pm

gluby, the color on your house looks like pumpkin on my screen. Is that close to right? I think that it is beautiful!
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby mattswabb on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:29 pm

1880 stick - that's quite a project you have. Nice work on replacing the window, looks like its always been there. I remember Norm on the new Yankee workshop making a molding like that. He clamped a few boards on his table saw as guides and ran the board thru at an angle at the blade and moved the blade up a bit each pass. He used the radius of the blade and the angle of the pass to get his concave curve.
mattswabb

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum