dcsimg

what did you get done on your house today?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: what did you get done on your house today?

Postby gluby174 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:11 pm

PowerMuffin wrote:gluby, the color on your house looks like pumpkin on my screen. Is that close to right? I think that it is beautiful!
Diane

Hi Diane,it is a Shermin Williams paint,but had it custom mixed,from Martha Stewart's collection ''Yam''.SW has a color palette of the houses era 1700/1800, we just wanted to spice things up,thanks have recieved a lot of positive coments on the color,Gene
gluby174

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:40 pm

mattswabb wrote:1880 stick - that's quite a project you have. Nice work on replacing the window, looks like its always been there. I remember Norm on the new Yankee workshop making a molding like that. He clamped a few boards on his table saw as guides and ran the board thru at an angle at the blade and moved the blade up a bit each pass. He used the radius of the blade and the angle of the pass to get his concave curve.

we seriously think about any changes that are made to the house and usually those that we do will either take it back to original design or as humanly close as possible. That is exactly what Greg did to reproduce that molding, unfortunately he did it at his own shop so i didn't get to see it.
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby Daniel Meyer on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Today we moved a cast iron ball and claw tub from the backyard into the house, and into the bathroom. Heavy. That's enough for the weekend!
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby utopia13 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Well, it was actually yesterday, but I refinished my porch lights & stripped & painted my house # plaque. They were pretty bad as you can see in these old pics.
hehe...this halloween pic is the only close shot of my house # plaque

One of 2 porchlights. Great light fixture, but really needed some attention!

I will get pics of these before I leave for work tomorrow. I'm really happy with how they turned out. With a bit of a soak & my wire wheel on the drill....smooth as a babys bottom now! :D
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby Hoosier Foursquare on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 am

I went and picked-up one of our ornate victorian radiators from the powdercoater and got it moved back into the house. I found him via Craigslist and he did an excellent job! He only charged me $70 to media blast it and powdercoat it "antique white" which is very inexpensive. Our local sandblaster charges $65 an hour just to blast.

The fun part was moving that sucker around. Luckily, we were able to borrow an appliance dolly from our freinds which was a blessing! I almost killed myself getting it down the stairs from the 2nd floor and can't imagine not using the dolly. Now I just have to get it back up the stairs to the hall bathroom it came out of and get plumbed back up.
Attachments
ra d before after.jpg
ra d before after.jpg (708.52 KiB) Viewed 8109 times
Hoosier Foursquare

Postby cadrad on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:11 pm

gave the main windows in the dining room a touch up to areas of paint showing on the stripped wood. Then a third coat of shellac. then removed top and bottom sash from the first of the three side windows and stripped. no easy feat as the upper sash has been caulked and painted shut since at least the early 70's. the main windows I am referring to are those to the right of the entrance in my signature picture.
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org
cadrad

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:33 pm

That radiator is beautiful!
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby chooseopen on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Lots of work, but nothing too exciting this weekend. We worked to add a 50amp electrical circuit for the new range and also added a circuit for the range hood and under cabinet lighting. We have lots more grunt work before we can start working on the more exciting finished surfaces.
Jason Elwell - Canton, IL
My 1896 Victorian - Follow our progress on our Blog
chooseopen

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum