A new Project - the next generation! Help!!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

A new Project - the next generation! Help!!

Postby S Melissa on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Well, I've not been on here much lately - I miss you all, and see lots of new names and projects. My oldest son just bought a little cottage in a nearby town and we've been working on it. Built in 1923, a very small (less than 1000 s.f.) house on a nice lot (about an acre) with a lovely pole barn (for boy toys) and a nice garden shed (because the pole barn isn't big enough!). The house was reasonably well cared for and in decent shape with things like most of the plumbing the electrical, furnace/AC etc. But it had suffered with an enthusiastic wallpaper person - who poorly papered every blasted wall in the house about - no lie - 5 times - with large overlapping seams (like on blue jeans) - and then - someone painted over it all with what I think was car paint (the pole barn builder was a car guy). Anyway - the walls are coming down for insulation, new wiring locations (adding to what's there) and ridding us of all that crazy wallpaper. The walls oddly enough were all drywall - only kitchen was plaster?

So, while I'm doing just fine with lining up the resources and assisting my son with decisions and planning (I'm a good mom - he's doing this himself with me as an adviser - only when asked mind you!), DH and I have undertaken stripping the original doors - which were overwhelmed with all this awful paint - including the hardware. So - I remembered the crock pot paint on hardware solution - but can't remember how

Water and liquid dish soap - on low - cooks off the paint?

We've gotten a lot of the paint off with the stripper (the hardware was painted with every coat - omg.)

I've got the crock pot - now I need the formula! Please help my memory!

Here's a link to the pictures if your interested:
http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/Melsplace1/2012%20Ian%20House/
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Re: A new Project - the next generation! Help!!

Postby eclecticcottage on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Not sure on the crock pot paint removal...

Love the pine paneling, but I'm biased, lol.

As for the drywall...our old house, also built in the 20's, only had plaster & lathe in the stair well. We could only guess that they had remodeled before at some point and hadn't removed the plaster in that one place.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby downtowndahlgren on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Maybe the walls were made of Homasote, a high-density fiber board. I know my 1926 house was built with it. Homasote was originally introduced in 1916. The product was strong, lightweight, and had "amazing weather resistant properties." So maybe your son's house had both Homasote and plaster walls. BTW, I love the glass block window in the basement.
downtowndahlgren

Postby lavender_bush on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:52 am

I only used water thinking I could used something more toxic if I needed, but I didn't use a crock pot just a big pot on the stove, covered, on low for a couple of hours.

I think some guys have used dish soap but the easy option worked for me.

BTW - I feel your pain ( in the nicest way) our DD and her fiance bought a 50's Cape close by and is looking to Daddy to help with the electrics, plumbing, floor leveling and the installing of a kitchen

Mama to help with the floor refinishing, tiling, plastering, wallpapering etc :)

His parents aren't so DIY orientated :( So it falls to us and we want to save them money when we can help but it's eating up our weekends. We do want to help so I made her use a tile saw on Friday and as of today we have lots of pictures from her BF showing her doing the rest of the floor work in the kitchen.

He will be helping fit the cabinets! :wink:
lavender_bush

Postby jade mortimer on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:14 am

we use a crockpot with a bit of simple green added and sometimes just a couple of ounces of white vinegar...i think water alone will work just fine....fill with hot water, (set on high if you plan to remove paint in a couple of hours or low if you plan to remove it in 3-4 hours)...use needle nose pliers or a kitchen strainer to remove one piece at a time...i use a small brass brush to remove the shmutz...you will be amazed at how easily it comes off...

i am enamored by you parents who so readily help your offspring with their new homes...sure you grumble on occasion but i think you would have it no other way! :wink:

...jade
jade mortimer

Postby Texas_Ranger on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:30 am

The heat mostly does the trick, so boiling water alone should be perfectly alright. I use a plain old pot we don't use for anything else any more. A brass brush would be nice but I don't have one so I make do with an old toothbrush - the bristles take off most of the paint and one of the plastic edges does the rest.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby S Melissa on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Thank you all! We got a lovely crock pot from the Salvation Army store and we cooked the hardware on low with water and a bit of baking soda. We amped up the heat, and the paint came off all the faster. Each lock set is different - odd - one is truly brass, the others were brass plated and are now various colors of copper and brown, and definitely cheaper. We'll probably paint the cheap ones with Krylon paint to resemble antique brass so they all look similar.

A new can of primer sits in the car with brushes, sandpaper, steel wool and a tack cloth to begin the priming process on the doors. We're down to the hallway being demo'd and the last hurrah is the bathroom - which is really - truly gross. The soil line in the basement has about eaten thru and is leaking badly - we held off as long as possible (mom only potties in the bathroom - while the boys are much more comfortable with the outdoor facilities . . .) but the time has come to say good bye to that. The contractor arrives in 3 weeks. We're off today to get the cabinets and if there's time the fixtures for the bathroom ordered. So far - so good.

I'm sure I"ll be back with more questions as I venture once more into this project and need advice and counsel from you all!
Thanks again!
M
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby sooth on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:21 pm

I use a tiny bit of TSP, but be warned that it can damaged brass items if left too long. Plain water will work fine, and it doesn't have to be on low. You can boil the crap out of it if you want.

I also did mine on a stove top.

Before:

During:

After:

JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:08 am

Oooo sooth, they are purdy...

I like the difference in colour.

DH is lamenting the fact that I used the largest pot we owned because it was too big for everyday use. Now he wants to brew beer and the pot would have been the perfect size :lol:
lavender_bush

Postby sooth on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:53 pm

If you scour and clean the pot really well, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it again.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum