dcsimg

A new Project - the next generation! Help!!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: A new Project - the next generation! Help!!

Postby CivilWarHome on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:28 am

I love helping other people with their houses! I just spent the last week helping a friend remove wallpaper from her kitchen and living room.

What's ironic about that is I could have spent that week removing wallpaper from our walls. :roll: It just isn't the same when it's your home :lol:
Brandy
185? Italianate
Macon, Mo
CivilWarHome

Postby saaraah on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:29 pm

The crock pot method is truly the best. I have a question, though: what do you guys do with the leftover water? I feel guilty pouring it down the sink/toilet.... but maybe that's fine to do?
saaraah

Postby sooth on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:41 pm

I pour it down the drain. Alternatively, you could ditch it in the back yard. The paint goobers can be scooped up and put in the trash.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Re: A new Project - the next generation! Help!! UPDATE!

Postby S Melissa on Mon May 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, the doors are all done and painted with their finish coat - they look handsome. The locks came out just fine, and DH actually fixed the locking mechanism and then toured every lock smith and store in town to find skeleton keys to fit - and did find them so they're installed and the locks all work!

The demo is done; the rough is in for the electric and plumbing and some minor carpentry. Tomorrow - tuesday - will be rough inspection day. Hope like heck that goes fine. I won't be there which makes me all the more nervous about it. I usually help the inspector . . . find a way to approve things! Ha! Then, we're scheduled for blow in cellulose insulation for the wall cavities. The insulation guy amped up his price trying to insulate every darned square inch of the cottage - but the walls will do for now, and we can add insulation to the attic and basement this fall. Then drywall the first full week of June. Then, we'll be painting our butts off! I'll post follow up pictures when we get it done.

I'm having fun on ebay - got my eye on a darling little light for the kitchen. Will know this week if I won the auction. I could be going more nuts, but I'm keeping a level head! Or trying to! I'm so excited to have a project. I'm like Oldhouselover - I prefer working on other people's stuff - while my own languishes! Dunno what's wrong with me - or her for that matter! :shock:
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum