dcsimg

Hello

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Hello

Postby GothicHome on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Just wanted to introduce my self and my wife. We are the proud owners of an 1880 Gothic for a few years now. A big old girl with strong bones and cavernous interiors in S.Ontario. Untouched interior with all the original plaster and woodwork. Not so much as a modern kitchen cabinet in the kitchen. We've spent a lot of time and money Bringing her back to life. The end goal is to maintain the old girl as she was born. Just update to today's standards for mechanicals.
I've been following this chat off and on for while and thought I might as well join in. I'm sure there will be times when we will question our sanity and may need the company and support of fellow crazies. Look forward to gaining insight and possibly providing some myself.
GothicHome

Re: Hello

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:33 am

Well you've stumbled upon the perfect place for your insanity :)

Our Purple House was built in 1895 but when she was moved (before we bought her) they ripped out the mechanicals so we had to start at the beginning. She now has a geothermal heating/cooling system and while not in keeping with the age of the house? I think the original owner would be thrilled to know that we're up to date, the Victorians embraced anything new.

The majority of the house has the original lath and plaster and the plaster is covered by a protection order - not that we'd dream of removing it. Most of our windows are original and I'm on the hunt for a double hung window to replace the 70/80's failed double glazed unit that fogs up the second it sees the sun :roll:

Our basement was newly built when she was moved, it has 10ft ceilings and is the envy of our friends who live in newer homes. Any open walls have been sprayed with icynene. While we want to maintain the integrity of our old house we do embrace new technologies where possible.

However I do envy James' his house 8)
lavender_bush

Postby wletson on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:24 am

Hey Gothichome!
Nice to have another owner from Ontario! :D

Um, not to be bold, but ... PICTURES!
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby Lynners on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 am

Agreed, wletson! Ontario has so many lovely old homes, I am surprised there aren't more of us here.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Postby GothicHome on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks, I've figured out how to post a pic now. Just need to find a size that really works.
GothicHome

Postby saaraah on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi! Nice to see another Ontarian - I live in Kitchener. :)
saaraah

Return to The Hangout Forum