dcsimg

The ultimate horror-flick... Old house abuse caught on tape.

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

The ultimate horror-flick... Old house abuse caught on tape.

Postby selvatico on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:19 pm

I ran into this on youtube while trying to get my courage up to par for some upcomming window repairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdNVs9OTLI

You know you are a true old house person if you find yourself screaming in horror during this video... Watch at your own risk... :shock:

1916 Prairie Style Bungalow
selvatico

Re: The ultimate horror-flick... Old house abuse caught on tape.

Postby SkipW on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Wow, that is sad. The windows looked to be in prefect shape.

Did anyone else notice that the installers did not even pause to check if the windows were plumb and square? One guy just kind of held them in place and the other ran some screws in....guess they figured the spray foam would take care of any of that "technical stuff"

Also, the aluminum trim really tops off the cake of lovely replacement windows.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby triguy128 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Their Great, great grandchildren can enjoy those energy savings 100+ years from now.... oh wait, they will have been replaced at least once in that time. I guess they can look forward to replacing them the 2nd time.

First really hot and sunny day since I installed my storm windows last fall. Wow, what a difference. Between reducing air leaks and the Low-E coating, I've probably reduced my heat gain by close to 20%. Keep in mind I have 27% window area. The home in that picture was probably 15% window area. So they won't see more than a 10% improvement. 1% over a storm window.

Including insulation, overall I've reduced my heat gain by about 1/3... without doing stupid things like replacing windows.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby Don M on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:50 pm

The windows they replaced were not even that old & yes not a level or shim to be seen. I'm actually surprised they spent as much time on the new installation as they did!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby pqtex on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:32 pm

I couldn't watch past the first cuts with a sawzall and the first piece of trim removal. :(
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Sashguy on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm

LOL.... Perhaps the next time I pull that junk out and put the real windows back I should do a counter posting. They don't call them Double Pain for nothing.
Sashguy

Postby Texas_Ranger on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:37 am

Their Great, great grandchildren can enjoy those energy savings 100+ years from now.... oh wait, they will have been replaced at least once in that time. I guess they can look forward to replacing them the 2nd time.

That's seriously optimistic - I can't see even quality vinyl replacements lasting more than maybe 30 years, perhaps less for double hungs as they're more complex than casements - on the other hand, the hardware is usually the first thing to fail on our modern swing/tilt casements, unless the glass goes first.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby triguy128 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Texas_Ranger wrote:

That's seriously optimistic - I can't see even quality vinyl replacements lasting more than maybe 30 years, perhaps less for double hungs as they're more complex than casements - on the other hand, the hardware is usually the first thing to fail on our modern swing/tilt casements, unless the glass goes first.

I read somewhere once that they some of the cheaper all vinyl replacement are often replaced within 10-15 years.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby Texas_Ranger on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 pm

triguy128 wrote:
Texas_Ranger wrote:

I read somewhere once that they some of the cheaper all vinyl replacement are often replaced within 10-15 years.

Yeah, 30+ was only for the real expensive ones. I know that my grandma in Germany had vinyl windows that were 25-30 years old when she moved out in 2005. They were still sort of ok, but the hardware was finicky and the vinyl was yellowed. I hated the look and proportions but they were probably easier on the heating bills than the single-glazed windows without storms they replaced and might even have paid for themselves - particularly as it was a rental, the landlord paid for the windows.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby jade mortimer on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:19 am

no respirators, no eye protection, no floor covering, working right next to a piece of unprotected furniture AND ripping out windows that appear to be in fine condition...i didn't watch the whole thing either.....jeesh....
jade mortimer

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum