dcsimg

Do I really need an open kitchen?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Do I really need an open kitchen?

Postby jharkin on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:20 pm

I think screaming at the TV when HGTV is on is par for the course around hear. I also cant stands the words open concept, and this trend of calling a room a "space" drives me up the wall for some reason as well.

The un-finishable basement is one the central charms of an old home IMO as my idea of a man cave involves a concrete floor, work benches and power tools. When we were house hunting every time I saw a finished basement I started thinking "how much of a pain in the @#$(*%^ is it going to be to rip all of this out "
jharkin

Postby triguy128 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:54 pm

I think ultimately a lot of folks are getting dupped. Look at this from the perspective of a developer. They can slap up homes with fewer interior walls, have more measurable square footage under the same footprint and then just convince everyone that this is better. I also started paying attention to eaves and soffit overhangs. They are practically non-existant now that all homes have central AC. Why? Because having overhangs makes the roof larger. Nobody cares if their AC bill is 20-30% higher, but they do care if the home costs 5% more to build because the roof is 30% larger.

My next contribution is off topic, but i have to tell you what I saw visiting the "Fancy" part of West Des Moines this weekend. How do you construct a 1500sqft single story home with a 2 car garage on a narrow 40' wide lot with 10' setbacks from adjacent homes??? Easy, you make the house the same width as a 2 car garage and attach the home on the back of the garage with a small angled entrace around the side. I'l see if I can find a picture online. Even better... how do you give it a little style? Make it a Dutch Colonial Revival style with a gambrel roof. Oh yes... it exists.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby triguy128 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:13 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1W2SNNS&hl=en&tab=wl

No street view and I couldn't find it on the MLS... but hopefully just imagine seeing nothing but the front of a garage from the street.
1925 Neo-Classical

Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby kathyd on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 pm

I can't imagine that it would make for a very attractive house. Our lot is not even that wide, house was built between two existing houses. We have about a 3 foot walk on each side of the house, I haven't measured lately but don't imagine my house is wider than about 20 feet. Thankfully it was built in the day before garages were part of the house. We have no garage at all, and while one would be nice, I'm glad it's not part of the house.
kathyd

Postby nezwick on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks guys, we love our kitchen too. It was one of the huge selling points when we bought the house.

And yes, I am thankful to not have an attached/integrated garage as well. I wouldn't mind building a separate garage some day, but it's not too bad without one.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web
nezwick

Postby triguy128 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:03 pm

That's my point. Nothing wrong with a narrow lot. Ideally the developer would do something insane like a alleyway behind the houses. Of course that would cut into his profits and sadly, plenty of people are willing to pay through the nose for ugly crap like that.

I also plugged in 3200sqft, 3 bedroom or greater, and 20,000 sqft lot size and I found one for about 2X what ours appraised for and the rest were 3-5X the value of ours... and that doesn't get you a riverview... just closer to lots of shopping restaurants and supposedly superior schools (I question whether better paid teachers and fancy buildings = better education when you compare students of equal social-economic groups). I found it intersting that most appeared a lot larger and grander than my house... but the square footage was the same. Interesting. :roll: None were what I would call "stately".
1925 Neo-Classical

triguy128

Postby kathyd on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:22 pm

You gotta love that Mississippi view triguy. We're right up the hill from the river, but have to be in the front yard or upstairs for a bit of a river view. We have a flour mill in the way here. You must be upriver from us, I'm right outside of St. Louis.
kathyd

Postby triguy128 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 pm

kathyd wrote:You gotta love that Mississippi view triguy. We're right up the hill from the river, but have to be in the front yard or upstairs for a bit of a river view. We have a flour mill in the way here. You must be upriver from us, I'm right outside of St. Louis.

Keokuk is about 1 hour north of Hannibal. We're on the West side of the river. Just go to google maps and type in grand avenue.
1925 Neo-Classical

triguy128

Postby lisascenic on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:37 pm

I think houses whose main architectural feature is a humongous garage on the front of the house are so depressing.

I'm so happy that I managed to buy the modest little house of my dreams.
lisascenic

Postby triguy128 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:39 am

lisascenic wrote:I think houses whose main architectural feature is a humongous garage on the front of the house are so depressing.

I'm so happy that I managed to buy the modest little house of my dreams.

I think that's the problem, nobody actually cars what it looks like fomr the outside. OR at least much of the younger generation has no "eye" for symmetry, style and what looks good. They want clean and fresh. Mainly, they care abotu what features it has and how much space it has and het interior layout.

The ones I showed were entry level homes I believe in a pricier part of Des Moines. I'm guessing these start at probably $150k, while the more "average" size home is that areas starts at $200-300k.
1925 Neo-Classical

triguy128

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum