is the popularity of the stainless steel appliances waning?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

is the popularity of the stainless steel appliances waning?

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:11 pm

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/is-this-the-end-of-a-25-year-run-for-stainless-steel--.html

curious as to what everyones feelings on stainless... did you like like it or loath it?
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Re: is the popularity of the stainless steel appliances waning?

Postby downtowndahlgren on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:02 am

Personally, I don't like stainless unless it's in a commercial kitchen. I think it looks cold; is hard to keep clean, and doesn't blend in with any decor except extremely sleek super modern, which as an old house owner is SO not my style.
downtowndahlgren

Postby triguy128 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:07 pm

With white cabinets, definitely prefer white appliances. Otherwise black is fine with a darker kitchen. Never understood why I should pay $20-50 more for a thin piece of SS on the face of an appliance. Real SS appliances have SS cases, surface, etc for a commercial kitchen. I don't want a commercial kitchen. I have no plans to hire a staff of 3-5 and cook for 150-200 people a night.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby jeepnstein on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:14 am

I like it. We use our kitchen and we use it hard. Our stove sees an awful lot of use. It's a commercial model that is insulated to make it UL rated. What I like most about it is I can take the top outside and clean it with a pressure washer. The hood and the rest of it clean up nicely with a bit of oven cleaner. We have the six burner gas range with a full-sized gas oven below, and an electric double wall oven to boot. Where we fall down is on dishwasher capacity.

That was after a four-course dinner, with full table service, for thirty guests from our church. It was very good but exhausting. What's the point in having the Big House if you don't throw big parties?
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Postby Tom and Jada on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am

Never been a fan of stainless steel, or for that matter any other appliance "fad" (harvest gold, avocado, etc.). Stainless steel has always looked cheap to us, kind of like the manufacturer didn't even bother to put a finish on it.

You can't go wrong with traditional white appliances. They never go out of style and will go with pretty much anything.
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com
Tom and Jada

Postby eclecticcottage on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:26 pm

I saw that on Yahoo and commented as well. I've always hated stainless. It gets all fingerprinty too. Went with white when we bought appliances new for the Old House years ago...and of course our new old appliances are white here at the Cottage. Although I think there were color choices in the 50's, seems like white was by far the most common.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby Tom and Jada on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:08 am

eclecticcottage wrote: Although I think there were color choices in the 50's, seems like white was by far the most common.

The "robin's egg blue" and "salmon pink" started gaining popularity around 1954 and continued for several years. That set the kitchen fads with canary yellow, avocado green, and harvest gold following suit.

We still say you can't go wrong with white! It never goes out of style and is easy to keep clean.

Stainless steel will go the way of all the other kitchen fads. Remember when the glass top electric stoves were big in the late '90s/early '00s?
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com
Tom and Jada

Postby csnyder on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:01 am

Tom and Jada wrote:Stainless steel will go the way of all the other kitchen fads. Remember when the glass top electric stoves were big in the late '90s/early '00s?

Unlike stainless, at least glass-top stoves at least have the advantage of being easier to clean (I still prefer gas, though).

We inherited late-1990's black appliances from the PO - not enamored with them, but they do complement the rest of the kitchen. I'd probably never buy anything other than black or white.
Chris Snyder, WavyGlass.org
csnyder

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I wanted stainless and that's what I have. Nothing is high end, thus it is easy to keep clean. Also, if it's super energy efficient, I'm all for it. Mine are. My husband likes a gas stove, so we have gas. However, it has a black top and shows all the dust.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

Postby downtowndahlgren on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:41 am

I agree with Kansas about the black surfaces showing dust. (Also cat hair!). Since I'm hopefully getting a restored "53 Wedgwood gas stove in white and red, I'm planning to replace my inherited black gas stove and dishwasher that are at least 10 years old anyway with white appliances to match the "new" old stove and the white frig. I can't wait!
downtowndahlgren

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum