dcsimg

is the popularity of the stainless steel appliances waning?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: is the popularity of the stainless steel appliances waning?

Postby angolito on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:32 am

i have stainless. it is a matter of personal taste.
angolito

Postby Texas_Ranger on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm absolutely sure that beech wood and brushed stainless steel will be the avocado green of the early 2000s!
Personally I never liked stainless as I want metals to either shine or have a natural patina. SS doesn't really give you either. The typical European pairing with blah uniform pink/reddish beech wood (that's hard to tell apart from a cheap fake because it' so uniform) doesn't improve things for me.

Heck, personally I'd take bright orange and brown 70s appliances over stainless steel!
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby Neighmond on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Someone hold that spammer down so we can cut its throat.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby pqtex on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:36 am

Neighmond wrote:Someone hold that spammer down so we can cut its throat.

Or at least cut the cord to his computer.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Abuela on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm not a huge fan of stainless but my new stove is stainless because it had every feature I wanted (double oven, convection, five burners, continuous grill, excellent consumer reports rating) and through a fluke I managed to get it for $1000 when the MSRP is $2400. At that price, I would have taken it in avocado. :)
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby pqtex on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Abuela wrote:I'm not a huge fan of stainless but my new stove is stainless because it had every feature I wanted (double oven, convection, five burners, continuous grill, excellent consumer reports rating) and through a fluke I managed to get it for $1000 when the MSRP is $2400. At that price, I would have taken it in avocado. :)

What stove did you get? It sounds like it has every feature I need as well. It also sounds like a large stove...what size is it?

As for as stainless...I don't have stainless appliances, but stainless isn't just the flavor of the day. My grandmother's first dishwasher in this house was bought in the 1950's, and it was a stainless kitchen aid. It was still working when I acquired the house in 2006, but leaked badly. I changed out a hose, and determined it was the drain pump. I elected not to do more repairs, and bought a new one. Wish, wish, wish I'd kept the better quality kitchen aid and bought a new drain pump.

Please let me know what you bought...

Jill

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Abuela on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:35 pm

I got this Electrolux: http://www.electroluxappliances.com/kit ... ew30gf65gs

Looks like the MSRP has gone up a couple hundred since I bought it. Would I have ever paid over $2500 for a stove? Absolutely not - just not in my budget. But I absolutely LOVE it. LOVE. Not just because it has all the features that I wanted, but that it also has others that are just so so nice. The main one is the door and shelves - the oven door opens and holds to any position, and it just FEELS like a very high-end mechanism. And it has two adjustable heavy-duty shelves that will slide all the way out with just the slightest effort. Very good feel to it all. I've been going through an ugly divorce since very soon after I bought it and only yesterday moved back into my home (I'm keeping this house) so I haven't had a chance to test some of the other features that I want to try, such as a "Perfect Turkey" setting for roasting, the built in meat thermometer, and some of the programmable options (such as, 400 for 15 minutes then 325 for 2 hours). And there's even more bells and whistles than that, but those are some of the things I'm most likely to actually use.

I got it so inexpensively because Lowes had ordered one to be part of a display, then LOST it in their ware house, ordered and installed a replacement, then found the original one and stuck it on the floor for $1000. It was so cheap because they thought it couldn't be converted to propane, and there is very little natural gas in our area, so they wanted to price it to move. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it out there for that price - I was actually shaking as I double-checked the reviews on Consumer Reports, and verified that it was a price that I couldn't possibly turn down.
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby cs on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 am

Sounds like you got a great deal, Abuela!

Also... I am so very sorry to hear about your divorce, and associated ugliness - you don't deserve that.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby pqtex on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 am

That's called being in the right place at the right time! I'm lucky enough to have a large space for a stove, so I'm looking for one that is at least 36" and prefer 40".

pqtex

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 am

If and when stainless becomes completely tasteless, I'm going to cover my appliances with red flocked brocade wallpaper.
That'll teach 'em.
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum