dcsimg

Oh dear...I'm addicted...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Oh dear...I'm addicted...

Postby eclecticcottage on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 am

So, there's a very old building (early 1800's) in a town we drive through on occasion that we believe is very near being demolished. It's boarded up, there were signs before stating it might happen (seems the owner is at odds with the town) and now our last trip through they had cleaned up around it a good bit. The place is in REALLY rough shape. Holes in the roof, and last time we were in there (it was a business) the floors were like a kiddie coaster (all wavy, and I don't mean a little buckled, I mean probably out by several feet up and down throughout the place). It really would take someone with SERIOUS cash and knowledge to save it. So it's not that I want to buy it, I know better.

However I have tried to convince DH (without outright asking because I know he'd get annoyed) to go there during the day to find out if a) they are demoing it and b) if they are, if we can salvage some of the corbels and dental work. Goodness knows I have NO use for them on a cottage (unless I repurposed them) but it's got me all nerved up that they might just trash them when/if they tear it down. No one has been there the two nights we went by...I tried the phone number for the business but it's disconnected. I am going to go by tonight and leave a note if DH doesn't go over there today.

I darn near asked to salvage a bunch of old interior doors from a place that's scheduled for demo last weekend too (pics on the CL thread if anyone is interested), but luckily (?) we didn't bring our truck with us when we went there.

I think I have an "old stuff that shouldn't go to waste even though I can't use it either" addiction. I need a barn.... :lol:
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Re: Oh dear...I'm addicted...

Postby Josiecat on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 am

Right now I have a 9 foot Queen Anne door in my garage that I can't use. I was driving by one day and it was sitting on a porch. I rang the doorbell and asked what they were doing with it. Said he was throwing it away!!! :evil: It won't fit my house, but I will not lot let a perfectly good, and beautiful door be thrown away.

Does anyone need an internal (vestibule) Queen Anne door? :?:
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas
Josiecat

Postby downtowndahlgren on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Hey, there are worse addictions - at least architectural salvage doesn't eat and have vet bills like my rescue cats! :lol:
downtowndahlgren

Postby eclecticcottage on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Yeah, we have I think 3 or 4 interior doors (one had really nice stained glass, but a few pieces are broken out), one "storm" door (the ones with the divided light window insert that can be removed and replaced with a screen insert), and extra divided light "insert" for a "storm" door and I don't know how many old windows (window only, no frames) in our shed. I can't leave them alone if I see them being tossed. We HAD two "storm" doors, but one actually fit our front door at the Cottage! AND it had both the screen and glass inserts. We had to take the door knob off of the inside because it hit the knob on the main door and wouldn't close, but oh well. We can still open it, we put the screw back in so you turn that instead, lol. I also have a door knob set I salvaged from a door being tossed-the door was rotted but we snagged the hardware (not that I need it). AND I picked up some old gas fixtures (just the pipe, burner and globe, maybe from a chandelier) at a garage sale cheap because I didn't want them to toss them at the end of the day...and two gas fireplace fenders we rescued from a salvage company that went under. Need to get those listed on CL or ebay actually, since we paid for them...

eclecticcottage

Postby cs on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Hey, I still have that complete set of 10+ wooden storms - in great condition(!) - almost 100 years old, and free to a good home. Rescued from the curb. (If someone is interested, by the way, I'll repost the photos and dimensions.)

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby eclecticcottage on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

Well, we went there last night and there was a boatload of people there! It took a little asking nicely of a few folks, but we found the guy that's heading up the demo. They don't have permits for the demo yet. The mother of the owner of the business was there and she directed us to him-she had hoped someone would save part of the facade for the historical society. We gave the head honcho our info and said that if the building inspector would allow it (they won't even let the owners inside, the fire department was doing the clean out for them) he was ok with it. We'll have to get ahold of the historical society and see if they will want it, but if they do and we get permission, we'll be helping rescue at least that (I think even if they don't want it, we'll take it down if we have permission-we'll find a home for it later, but at least it won't be dumpster bound). I'll have to post pics...I might need some ideas on HOW to do this now, lol. Never removed corbels and dental work before!

eclecticcottage

Postby downtowndahlgren on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Chris, please post dimensions of the storms. They dont, by chance, fasten at the top, do they? Even if not, I need some desperately for my original garage windows. Thanks so much!
downtowndahlgren

Postby cs on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:56 pm

downtowndahlgren wrote:They dont, by chance, fasten at the top, do they?

Yes they do! I grabbed them because I thought they'd fit my windows. But unfortunately, they were the wrong size for me. Mortise and tenon construction, vintage 1925, no rot, no cracks. The glazing and paint even appear to be in decent shape. I have 5 that are 24" X 59 1/8" and another 9 that are 28 1/8" X 56 1/8". Image

Fancy a trip through Westchester county (just north of NYC)? they can be yours!

Chris
cs

Postby downtowndahlgren on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:55 am

Chris, I'll go measure the garage windows today and see if they would fit. As long as the trip doesn't have to be immediately, yeah, I'd go for it. (Got 6 animals to arrange care for for and am about to get bifocals I have to learn to drive with - oy!) I'll PM you if they work for the garage. Thanks for the response!
downtowndahlgren

Postby cs on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:03 pm

No rush - I've been storing them for six years already.

Chris
cs

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum