Ugh. I'm getting so tired of spammers.

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Ugh. I'm getting so tired of spammers.

Postby pqtex on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:03 pm

They are taking up space on our forum and breathing our air. Go away.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Re: Ugh. I'm getting so tired of spammers.

Postby triguy128 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I love the ones that arent even in english
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby shazapple on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 am

I've owned and ran websites/forums, and this is something that the site owner/admin has to step up and deal with. It discourages new members and drives away existing. Sure it gets cleaned up, but if I was a new member and saw a pile of spam, I'd assume the forum was abandoned and not worth joining. As an existing member I just visit less because the stuff I want to read is buried.
shazapple

Postby triguy128 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:59 am

It nseems like it should be illegal. They are putting up unpaid advertising on a site that has paid advertising banners. It,s like going up to a freeway billboard and hanging you advertisement on it. It essentially a form of theft.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby jade mortimer on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 am

i would say the paid advertisers here basically put up a billboard on your front lawn and you're suppposed to ignore it...the other spammers just get a kick out of irritating people...i get at least 10 telemarketing calls a week and that's with a 'do not call' on both phone numbers...i receive an average of 50 spams a day...it's up to the fcc to control this crap but they don't/won't....you pay for a computer/phone, pay for the service, pay for the software, pay for a program like norton or spyware and you STILL have crap getting through...noone seems to have an interest in stopping it....until there is no money to be made, it will continue....DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH TELEMARKETERS!!!!!!! we need to install a 'WHACK-O-SPAMMER..........

...jade
jade mortimer

Postby eclecticcottage on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:44 am

shazapple wrote:I've owned and ran websites/forums, and this is something that the site owner/admin has to step up and deal with. It discourages new members and drives away existing. Sure it gets cleaned up, but if I was a new member and saw a pile of spam, I'd assume the forum was abandoned and not worth joining. As an existing member I just visit less because the stuff I want to read is buried.

x2 on all accounts. It's not really that difficult to discourage, really. I'm no programmer, but I figured it out on PHPBB pretty easily.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby downtowndahlgren on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks for this thread!!! When I opened the General thread today the entire first page was spam. It makes it so frustrating to look for posts that it's almost not worth it sometimes, and OHW is my online community that I really enjoy reading first thing in the morning, so I miss it. I'm no programmer, but I use Kaspersky on my home systems and get NO spam ever, or pop-ups either. Heck, I'd be willing to buy it for the site's administrator's if it would get rid of all this crap that's been flooding the website. We used to get a few amusing spammers, but it's become a raging torrent lately. :evil:
downtowndahlgren

Postby Neighmond on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 pm

If the owners can't or won't pursue spam-reducing measures, perhaps we can pool our resources and create a forum hosted by one of the firms who get paid to do so. Then we could control who advertises as well. I have been here twelve years, a registered member for almost ten, and it has really hit the skids lately.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby Neighmond on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 am

can you believe that rectal or whatever the hell its name is has the general discussion page bogged down with 1200 some odd post of pure spam?

Here is an 800 number for the company this jackass advertises: 1-888-524-7141. I have already called them and sung 99 bottles of beer. Twice. I called them and read the Declaration of Independence. I am right this minute fixing to get the first volume of Encyclopaedia Britannica and begin with Aardvark and keep on slogging. Calling new friends is fun! Let's all try it!
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby catya v.2.0 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 pm

EEK - don't call or click on the links. Do you really want them to have your phone no. or email address.... or, heaven forbid, your credit card number? I still haven't recovered from a hijacking of my computer last spring - I doubt this is just some innocuous guy with a warehouse of prescription drugs to sell ya cheap.
catya v.2.0

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum