dcsimg

Ugh. I'm getting so tired of spammers.

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Ugh. I'm getting so tired of spammers.

Postby superbeetle on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Count me in as someone who would be happy to contribute to a board in order to keep it spam free. I watched my favorite craft board, where I was a member for eight years, go down in flames because the owner wouldn't do anything about spam. I'd hate to see that happen here.
superbeetle

Postby jade mortimer on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:26 am

i like the idea of 99 bottles, et al....when we get a telemarketing call that tells us to press one to speak with a rep, we tell the rep we're very excited about whateverthehell they are selling then ask them to hold on for a minute...we check in and say "just another few seconds, i'll be right there"...then we wait til they get tired of waiting and hang up...sometimes we blow a whistle or do a group scream very loudly...it's just our way of letting off steam as so many calls come into the shop during the day...

it may be a good idea to report all spam telemarketing to the fcc...the buck should stop with them but they seem to think that a 30% success rate is acceptable...if they are inundated with calls, perhaps they will get the hint..... :roll:

i'm in for paying for the forum so we can have more control...guess we'd need a knowledgeable programmer kind of person...anyone interested?

...jade
jade mortimer

Postby Neighmond on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:24 am

I am going to see my brother in two weeks. He hosted a forum that was very similar to this in appearance and function, but it was about a different subject. I know he paid fpor the domain and then the forums were something ready-made that he used.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby jeepnstein on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:27 am

A message board is a piece of cake to get up and running, really. It's all a matter of paying for the host and the domain and that's not terribly expensive. I'd never do it as long as OHW has theirs up.
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Postby Neighmond on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:38 am

Another thing I was thinking of.....Even if all we did was charge a dollar or something to belong, that would kill spammers cold since they won't pay to join, but most people will realize the idea behind it and gladly pay it, wouldn't they?
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because

Neighmond

Postby brian89gp on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Most forums have pretty effective methods of preventing spam these days. I can't tell for sure, but I am guessing that this board is running an old version based of the 2007 copyright on the bottom...

Setting up and running your own board is easy. This one is low enough traffic it would probably fit in the $10/month or less hosting plans. The problem is active users and historical data, unless a majority of the membership starts using the other board it will be a bust, and the many years of pictures and data here would naturally not be there.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
-Heinlein
brian89gp

Postby Neighmond on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:49 pm

We got another one that needs its neck wrung, I see.
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because

Neighmond

Postby sooth on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:12 am

I had not realized just how bad things had gotten here on OHW, since I've been off the site for a few months (mainly because I haven't been making all that much progress on the house this summer). The site is a mess. Where are the admins/moderators and other people in charge of the board? I would think it would be fairly easy to delete these posts. If the ones in charge are feeling swamped, I'm pretty sure they can add additional moderators who could delete spam posts...
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby Texas_Ranger on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:16 am

sooth wrote:I had not realized just how bad things had gotten here on OHW, since I've been off the site for a few months (mainly because I haven't been making all that much progress on the house this summer). The site is a mess. Where are the admins/moderators and other people in charge of the board? I would think it would be fairly easy to delete these posts. If the ones in charge are feeling swamped, I'm pretty sure they can add additional moderators who could delete spam posts...

Quick summary: the owners basically disappeared long ago without giving the moderators full rights and all the active moderators are only able to check the forums on weekdays, that's why the spam gets so badly out of hands on weekends.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby jade mortimer on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 am

SHAG....
how do we reach the owners and let them know of our dissatisfaction? i have written to them a number of times in the last year and have never received a response...i think it's only fair to give them notice that we may begin a site of our own if they don't have the decency to respond to us...

it seems there are more and more advertisements for replacement windows and other cheap modern products that are hardly worthy of historic homes and the spammers appear to be having a field day as of late...why should you have to deal with this crap all on your own without any appreciation from the owners?

i am techinically inept...is there anyone who is truly willing and able to begin something new that will be an easy transition for us all?

....jade
jade mortimer

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum