dcsimg

Ugh. I'm getting so tired of spammers.

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Ugh. I'm getting so tired of spammers.

Postby Neighmond on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm

I will put my money where my mouth is at-I am checking into the matter as we speak. Anyone wishing to give me pointers or ask questions just PM or email me at neighmond at g m a i l dawt com.

Chaz
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby shazapple on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:08 pm

As far as I can tell the site is owned by Quinstreet. Giving them a call might get you somewhere...
http://quinstreet.com/
info@quinstreet.com
(650) 578-7700
shazapple

Postby jade mortimer on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 pm

thanks for the contact info...i called and spoke with a receptionist who took my name and number..i'll let you know what i hear...they are a marketing company that offers leads to other companies...not sure if they actually own this site...shag?

thanks neighmond....from what little i understand, there are many forums out there that do not have advertising...sadly, we all have to deal with spammers but maybe someone with some tech saavy can advise us about limited spam...

jade....
Last edited by jade mortimer on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jade mortimer

Postby Schag on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:16 pm

I have no idea who owns the site, and have had NO contact from them since the Great Spamination of 2012.
If you hear back from them, ask them to come to the boards and see what happened for themselves and to contact me too.
Thanks.
Schag

Postby shazapple on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Unfortunately this site is just that: advertising. When it was first created I'm sure it was a bit more personal, but from reading it seems to have been bought in 2006 by the people I mentioned above. New content is posted occasionally to make it look active and bring it's search engine ranking up. There is a list of advertisers that pay to have their ad's on the site. I fear this website is on the low priority list in terms of maintenance.
shazapple

Postby csnyder on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:13 am

If enough people are interested, I'd be happy to set up a new forum on my server. The server is a powerful 8-core machine with 8GB of RAM, plenty of storage, etc. and is hosted at a colocation facility with more than enough bandwidth and connectivity. It would cost me nothing to set up (I have plenty of spare capacity).

I already host one phpBB forum that was started under similar circumstances (a thriving community abandoned by the site owners): When Major League Baseball took over ownership of all of the team web sites in the early 2000's, the regulars at the Phillies forum were left with no place to go. My dad started http://www.philliesphans.com to give them a new home, and it's been doing well ever since. My dad passed away in 2007, and the moderators have been running it, with occasional help from me (software upgrades, etc.).

I don't have the time to moderate it (though I will be sure to implement decent anti-spam measures, and I'd be available when needed for admin tasks), so I'd appreciate if a few people would volunteer. Please PM me if interested.
Chris Snyder, WavyGlass.org
csnyder

Postby jade mortimer on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 pm

that sounds great cs...how do we go about notifying everyone? just put out a thread with directions to our new place? i'm more than willing to chip in some cash if necessary....perhaps it would be a good idea to have a few moderators...i was a moderator over at historichomeworks for years, rarely an issue over there...i would step up only if there's no response from others.....(hahaha, no discussions about window replacement!)
....jade
jade mortimer

Postby Texas_Ranger on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:47 am

One of the most interesting questions would be if it is a) legal and b) technically possible (without admin rights that is) to copy the entire load of existing posts from this board and move it to the new one. It would be a pity if all regulars deserted this site and the owners eventually decided to shut it down, removing all the old posts forever!
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby csnyder on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:11 am

Regarding legal issues, here's the pertinent information from the site TOS (linked from the footer on the front page):

7. Submissions. For purposes of clarity, you retain ownership of any information, content and/or materials that you submit through the Site (each, a “Submission”).

It goes on to say that we grant OHW a non-exclusive license to use the information in various ways.

My take on this: Since the copyrights for the posts lie with the respective authors, a particular author would have to complain - OHW holds no exclusive rights to the posts.

Technically, I'm not sure what phpBB gives to non-admins - probably not the ability to do a database dump. There are various ways to mirror a site. If we can find a way to get the posts, I might be willing to host a static mirror for future use; however, there would not be an easy way to import OHW posts into the new forum.

I've made a lot of progress toward setting up the new site - I should have a URL for everyone within the next half-hour or so.
csnyder

Postby csnyder on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Jill, I agree with your concerns. Unfortunately, OHW is now run by absentee owners, whose sole goal for the site is to sell ads and increase the search engine rankings of their network of sites. Unless the OHW owners step in to take back the reigns, I don't see this situation changing - in fact, it will become worse as members drift away after they tire of sifting through the spam. Even if they do step in to fix the problems, we will never be anything to them other than eyeballs for their sponsors.

For this to work, we need to get as many OHW regulars as possible to go over to the new site. In addition to this thread, I'd like to put posts on the other forums to announce the new site, if I receive the permission of the mods here to do so. In addition, send PMs to anyone that you want to make sure will follow us to the new site.
csnyder

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum