Plastering

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Plastering

Postby plastrr385 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 pm

WOW !
I must have given enough aadvice that you guys dont need me any more. I'm still here lurking in the shadows just waiting...kinda creepy HUH! :twisted:
I think thats great cuz no one is saying my advice stinks :shock:
Just thought I'd post something since its been awhile and to let you all know I'm still here. Been doing a drywall job :( in a house that is a nightmare! The guy that hung the board should be shot! He has no business touchin it and there are too many examples to give so lets just say I could give a class on how NOT to hang board thanks to this guy!
Okay I'm done now you can now return to your regularly scheduled lives. :D
plastrr385

Re: Plastering

Postby downtowndahlgren on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 am

plastrr, I am sending you a PM. Sue Ellen
downtowndahlgren

Postby utopia13 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:31 pm

I'll keep this topic alive....I'll be posting some photos & asking for some advice soon. Not sure if I will do the living room, kitchen or the back bedroom next, but no matter which one it is I will be needing some plaster advice in the next several weeks since all 3 rooms have issues.

Don't want you feeling like you're not needed!!
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby plastrr385 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks Utopia13
I'll be looking forward to it! Hopefully I can give you good advice.
plastrr385

Postby plastrr385 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Sue Ellen

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have about 5 side jobs going on right now. It probably will be a while I can keep ya posted on my progress if you would like.
plastrr385

Postby downtowndahlgren on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 am

Thanks; I'll let you know if status changes.
downtowndahlgren

Postby plastrr385 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Ok thanks! :D
plastrr385

Postby jeepnstein on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:20 am

I'm getting ready to do a rather large section of wall. Am I on the right course using Structo Lite for the base coat? My supplier swears he's selling plain old drywall compound for the finish coat, I think he's nuts. Also, what trowel do you like for Structo Lite?
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Postby plastrr385 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:44 pm

jeepnstein

What kind of substrate are you putting the Structolite on?

Your supplier is nuts. Look for a finish plaster like diamond veneer finish(usg) or I think its called finish plaster (goldbond) or you can buy autoclaved lime (I think thats what its called) and guaging quick set or slow set.

I use a 41/2 x 11 or 43/4 x 111/2 or you can use a 5x12. Stainless is the only way to go regular steel rusts quick unless you wd 40 it after every use.

Hope this helps!
plastrr385

Postby jeepnstein on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm using the Structolite on either horribly gouged base coat plaster that is still solidly attached to the lath or to the wooden lath or masonry. I always use Throroughbond first. My goal with the Structolite is to just get a relatively even base back. That stuff works miracles and is about as user-friendly as it could get.

My dealer carries USG products but doesn't seem to know a darned thing about plaster. I specifically told him I wanted the Diamond Veneer plaster because that's what I was taught with and he said it wasn't available. Then one of his minions started extolling the virtues of drywall compound. I strongly suspect they just didn't want me in the store at all since I'm not in the building trades. Never mind the fact that I buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of building supplies every year at work.

My trowel will be what is commonly called a "pool trowel", isn't it? Again, my supplier is not cooperating in this at all. Because I'm not using the exact terms he expects to hear from the trades communication is shut off. One wrong word and I'm shown the door. No wonder everyone scoops and dumps old houses around here and just uses sheetrock.

Oh, and have you ever done any reproduction of ornate moldings? We have a serious problem at work and we're starting to look for someone to repair some water damage.
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum