Plastering

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Plastering

Postby plastrr385 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:19 pm

jeepnstein

A pool trowel has a shot shank and round ends... not good for corners. I use a Marshalltown stainless trowels there are also Kraft,Bon Tool and Curry.

Depends on how ornate I can make a replica if its like cornice work and if it has the grape leaves and stuff it probably needs to be rubber molded first which I have never done but I've heard is relatively easy.

If your local Home depot sells plaster mine here carries plaster and I've seen plaster carried in some Lowes.
Or maybe they can order it for you...even the trowel?
plastrr385

Postby jeepnstein on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 am

Lots of grapes, and really ornate stuff. We once had an old guy from Cincy come in and show us how to make the coves and stuff but he's long since passed on. It's slow and expensive. I don't know that the people we have working now have the stomach for work like that. We also had a guy do some rubber molding but I can't say I loved the results.

So I'm just looking at a flat trowel with sharp corners in the sizes you mentioned? As usual I'm making this more difficult than it has to be.
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Postby plastrr385 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:30 pm

On the trowel yes its rectangular. Either size is fine the 43/4 or the 5 you dont have to get both.
plastrr385

r reallyRe: Plastering

Postby stuart45 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:38 pm

I've never really mastered plastering. I've just finished doing an extension I built at home, which was 2 coats of sand/cement and 2 coats of plaster. It doesn't look too bad, but if you run your hand over it, especially in the angles you can feel the difference between mine and a pro's. Luckily it's an old cottage and the rustic look suits it.
phpiF6LmyAM.jpg
phpiF6LmyAM.jpg (60.35 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
phpVb5HFfAM.jpg
phpVb5HFfAM.jpg (68.77 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
phpXNhZqeAM.jpg
phpXNhZqeAM.jpg (62.51 KiB) Viewed 6250 times
stuart45

Postby plastrr385 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Now if that wall is a block wall and not painted you can go over it with a veneer base. Its goes on about 1/8" thick.
plastrr385

Postby stuart45 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

Had to google veneer base, as we don't call it that here. The blocks are AAC, which really suck the moisture out unless you PVA the wall first. Some plasterers here use a one coat plaster now, although many still use a base and then finish coat.
The finish coat is often done in 2 coats, the first about 2-3mm thick and then the second a bit wetter and thinner at about 1mm thick. Used straight edges for the reveals and corners rather than angle beads to make it look a bit older.
I finished the sand/cement base coats with 2 coats of multi finish gypsum.
phpy3X31oAM.jpg
phpy3X31oAM.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 6224 times

phpDyAlk7AM.jpg
phpDyAlk7AM.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
stuart45

Postby plastrr385 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:26 pm

By using veneer base it helps to fill in the block where its been struck and smooth it out. We make our veneer finish a little on the wet side and scratch and double it. 1st coat goes on thin or thicker depending on the person and then the opposite on the 2nd coat. As it sets we water trowel it smooth with a felt brush and a trowel. Hope I'm not confusing you to much with the terms we use.
plastrr385

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum