dcsimg

look what I dug up in my yard!

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

look what I dug up in my yard!

Postby pqtex on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:27 am

I was digging in a flower bed. I've dug up lots of broken china, broken pottery, broken bottles and such, but this is the prettiest thing I've found so far (that was intact). I'm guessing this is a clay marble? I've never seen one that was colored like this.
marble.jpg
marble.jpg (73.08 KiB) Viewed 14262 times
Edited to add: I've been looking at some of the marble forums, and it might be a blue Bennington clay marble. If I'm right, they were produced from the late 1800's to early 1900's.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Re: look what I dug up in my yard!

Postby utopia13 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Wow...how pretty! :D

You know some youngster was upset when they lost that one! Being intact, it was either new for them, or they'd taken very good care of it because it was so special!
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby mattswabb on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Cool find. I dug up a few last spring. Ended up being marbles from paint cans and the area I was digging was an old burning pit. Can't all be winners.
mattswabb

Postby pqtex on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 pm

My father used to tell me about their games with marbles. I don't know if it was his, or maybe one of his friends/cousins, or even an uncle. Since only family has ever lived here, I can even speculate that it once belonged to my great-grandfather, who passed it on to be played with by the next generations!

One day, when my father was still able to walk over to my house by himself, my mother sent him over to get the paper. He was easily distracted by things and often picked up sticks or pulled weeds along the way. I'd keep an eye on him from the window and let him get a little fresh air and exercise. After a bit of letting him do his own thing, I went outside. He pulled a handful of marbles out of his pocket and said "Look what I found." I was excited and asked him where he'd found them. His alzheimers was pretty advanced by then, and he had no idea where they'd come from! I'd seen him pulling a few weeds around my sidewalk and around the mail box post, and I'd also seen him near the driveway where the garbage can is put on trash day. Drove me crazy knowing he'd found a place where there were a bunch of them all together, and he couldn't tell me where! I looked and dug all around every place I'd seen him that morning, but never found another one!

I miss him so much, and when I found that marble yesterday, it put a big smile on my face. It reminded me of the stories he used to tell about shooting marbles with his friends and cousins and of the happy times this old place has seen.

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby utopia13 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Awww....what a sweet memory!
utopia13

Postby PowerMuffin on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:11 pm

Yep, I really like that story.
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby Blueporch on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:06 pm

You could even say that some older people lose their marbles, but your dad found his.
Blueporch

Postby bofusmosby on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 am

The marble that you found is called a "Bennington" marble. They were made of clay, and were colored and fired (glazed)in a kiln. They date from the 1800's. They came in different sizes, and were of different colors. I have found many of them over the years, and I would consider any of them a good find! Congrats!
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Postby pqtex on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 am

bofusmosby wrote:The marble that you found is called a "Bennington" marble. They were made of clay, and were colored and fired (glazed)in a kiln. They date from the 1800's. They came in different sizes, and were of different colors. I have found many of them over the years, and I would consider any of them a good find! Congrats!

Oh it's so cool to have confirmation! I was afraid it was wishful thinking that's what I had. Haven't found any others, unfortunately.

pqtex

Postby bofusmosby on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 am

Have you ever considered "sifting" through the flower bed to see what other goodies you might find? I am an amatuer archaelogist, and have been sifting for decades. You might have found an old trash pit from your house, and remember, what might have been considered trash back then, can be a true treasure today. If you do decide to sift, let me know, and I'll show ou plans to build a great sifter. I would suggest that you keep all the pieces of china that you find. I have re-constructed many pieces over the years, and they make for a great display! I have even dovoted 2 rooms in my house as a museum.
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum