Attempted break in....

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Attempted break in....

Postby utopia13 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Last evening, around 8 pm when I would normally have been at work, I was watching TV & heard something. Hit the mute & listened... Something/someone at my back door.

My immediate reaction, unfortunately, was to do the worst thing I could have done....I walked into the kitchen & flung my door open! There was a dark sillouhette at my screen door & I most certainly startled him! The "perp" cut the screen in my back door & was trying to open the latch. About 6' tall & slim build.

He took off down the steps, through the yard & down the block. I tried to chase him but he disappeared. I called the cops & they came out & took my statement.

Today I ordered a wireless motion detection system. The base will be in my bedroom so that if there is any movement detected, it will let me know where. Got 3 sensors with it & a motion detection light as well.

It's funny how you *think* you know how you would react in a certain situation, but when that situation arises and the adreneline starts flowing...everything you think goes right out the window & you react completely opposite.

I guess this is why it is important to have a real plan...and to practice it.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Re: Attempted break in....

Postby SkipW on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Glad nothing more serious happened!!

Good idea on the motion sensors.

We own property about a half mile away, which we have cleared for building a house someday. We tried to save the old cabin there but it had been unihabited for too long and had been taken over by animals, mold and carpenter ants.

After we cleaned up the property several years ago, we had someone repeatedly throw the small log we used to block the driveway into the woods and then go in and smoke pot out of a soda bottle (cops said). We then put a chain up per cops instructions, and have no issues since.

Fast forward to last couple of weeks...there have been three break-ins on that road during the daylight hours. Last Wednesday, one of the couples who live at the end of the road had two people pull into the driveway, she was home with newborn, he was gone to pick up toddler, the perps pulled t-shirts over their clothes to hide them and went to try and break in...not knowing she was there. She frantically went around locking windows as they tried the doors, and then one of them saw her and they took off.

There are some brazen theives out there and you can not be too safe. We live in an area in Maine where people don't lock their doors and leave their keys in their cars, but life is changing here fast.

This is a good warning to folks who still believe they are safe in their bubble, sadly it is not the case. I am not an alarmist nor scared of the dark....we just live in desperate times.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby utopia13 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:25 pm

I am also glad that all is ok. This seriously could have had a much darker outcome. I will never do that again. Believe me!

Next time...the cops will be called first. Let them deal with the intruder.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby Daniel Meyer on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:37 pm

utopia13 wrote:I am also glad that all is ok. This seriously could have had a much darker outcome. I will never do that again. Believe me!

Next time...the cops will be called first. Let them deal with the intruder.

Yes, call them. But protect yourself.

They usually arrive in time to clean up the mess.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby utopia13 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:Yes, call them. But protect yourself.

They usually arrive in time to clean up the mess.

Oh, definately.
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby jade mortimer on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:58 pm

i don't know mo (for MOxie), i would have done the same thing--chase the bast@!d and let him know he doesn't want to mess with me or my house again...when it was all over, i would have thought "wtf? could have got myself whacked!"...we don't even have a cop in our town...

i hope the sensors offer you some peace of mind and that the incident was a one time thing...i think a sensor with flashing lights and a loud barking dog might do the trick...oh, and a camera to watch the punk running scared!

...jade
jade mortimer

Postby Tom on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 pm

You know, about a year ago, two knuckleheads tried to break into my house when I was in bed asleep. One was trying to pry the back door open, the other was working on a window. It hacked me off to no end that they were causing harm to my house! This has been my baby for 10 years now. I wanted to whack them so bad! Lucky for them (or me) that they went the other way as I dashed out the front door to try to "catch them at the pass."

Their little pry bar caused some pry marks in the back door. But, I was ahead of them. I had 3 inch screws in the jam on both sides of the door. Later, I added hinges - without a pin. The would-be burglars did not know it, but they could have just lifted the pins out of the hinges.
Tom
Tom

Postby utopia13 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Jade....Oh, I most certainly had a WTF? moment while I was waiting on the cops. In hindsight, confronting him was probably a bad choice, but the brain reacts & the body follows.

Now...I will call the cops & ready myself. Oh, and find the kitty & make sure she's safely tucked away! :D

Tom...that's a great idea about those extra long screws! I just wonder if they make them in brass flatheads....ya know?
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby pqtex on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:15 am

We've had some opportunistic thievery in our neighborhood lately. In one instance, it was still daylight (barely--just before 8 pm) with the neighbors at home, with the lights on, curtains open, watching TV. It was just a coincidence that the owner's son opened the house door to the garage at the same time the thief was in there. The thief took off running...the getaway car was parked across the street in another neighbor's driveway. In addition to a couple of missing tools, the thieves stole some small items from the cars (unlocked I think, as no mention was made of broken windows). We asked around and found out another neighbor had his shed pilfered of yard tools--weedeater, chainsaw, etc. I don't know if he locks his shed or not.

In addition to motion sensor lights, they also make motion activated driveway monitors that will alert you in the house if someone comes in the drive. I believe they can be obtained with an external speaker as well (I think the sound of rapid gunfire on loudspeaker might be effective--albeit frowned on by law enforcement and neighbors--but I imagine you could get a barking dog sound or just an announcement to go away). Cameras are getting pretty cheap, and can hooked up to your computer. I noticed some at the big discount club the other day (Sam's).

I saw a youtube video of a mousetrap warning system I thought was really cool. Basically a mousetrap was rigged up with harmless toy capgun caps (or muzzle caps). The set mousetrap was rigged on the inside of a door with a string or wire attached so if the door was opened, it caused a sound much like the sound of a gunshot (without any of the associated risk of a "real" gun). I think that would send an opportunistic thief fleeing before he even realized it wasn't real.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, but if it's any consolation for your "in-hindsight" thoughts that you were nuts to chase him, I doubt he will coome back knowing a woman crazy enough to chase him lives there.

Jill
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby pqtex on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 am

I've seen an interesting sign at a house I've driven by about a dozen times. It's about a 5 acre chain link fenced property with three drive entrances...one in the front, two on the side (it's a corner property).

Warning
Do Not Enter!
Loose Biting Dog

I haven't seen the dog, but there might be a dog. I've seen the driveway gate open a time or two, and still no sight of the dog...but he might be there...lurking...and waiting...just waiting...
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum