dcsimg

Attempted break in....

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Attempted break in....

Postby triguy128 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:45 am

jade mortimer wrote:i find this very offensive.....

What? a gun?

Some simply prefer not to leave their personal protection completely up to local law enforcement professionals. Not so disimilar in a sense to having a fire extinguisher or sprinkler system in a home.

Guns have been essential to preventing, starting and settling conflict of all types for about 700 years now. I think it's a bit more elegant, user friendly and less personal than swords, axes, daggers or pitch forks... or the more modern baseball bat.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby KathyJB on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:29 pm

triguy128 wrote:

What? a gun?

Some simply prefer not to leave their personal protection completely up to local law enforcement professionals. Not so disimilar in a sense to having a fire extinguisher or sprinkler system in a home.

Guns have been essential to preventing, starting and settling conflict of all types for about 700 years now. I think it's a bit more elegant, user friendly and less personal than swords, axes, daggers or pitch forks... or the more modern baseball bat.

:lol: Especially when law enforcement for us is scattered over the 963 square mile county, usually about 4 deputies more or less day and night.
KathyJB

Postby Neighmond on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:17 am

The night of 1 Nov 2007 I was sure glad to have one. If not for that I wouldn't be posting this right now.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby KathyJB on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:53 am

Neighmond wrote:The night of 1 Nov 2007 I was sure glad to have one. If not for that I wouldn't be posting this right now.

:shock: wow, sounds scary, glad you are here to share your home
KathyJB

Postby Neighmond on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 am

When it happened it was all so fast there wasn't time to be scared! The deputy that came to investigate told me I got off lucky though. One of the persons with the actual assailant (came home one night and surprised them manufacturing an illicit substance in my outbuilding) said to my face afterward that the man with her was prepared to leave no witnesses.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby KathyJB on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Neighmond wrote:When it happened it was all so fast there wasn't time to be scared! The deputy that came to investigate told me I got off lucky though. One of the persons with the actual assailant (came home one night and surprised them manufacturing an illicit substance in my outbuilding) said to my face afterward that the man with her was prepared to leave no witnesses.

GOOD GRIEF! I hate hearing of how good people have to endure such debauchery of their home. That's too close for comfort. There have been a lot of car thefts in our county lately, and people normally find their stolen vehicles on the way to Mexico if not in Mexico all because of drugs or whatever. I keep my eyes and ears open for anything not normal in my neighborhood or when I drive up to the post office. I'm not a snoop, don't care what people do on their own time, but I do watch out for my neighbors properties and to remind them when trash day is. We are all getting forgetful about stuff like that, especially with Christmas and New Years almost here. I keep hearing people talking about some holiday, but I don't see "holiday" written on my calendar for the next few months. Just Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years, oh and Boxing Day. :D I even see they put up something similar to a Christmas tree, but they just call it a holiday tree, really baffling.
KathyJB

Postby utopia13 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 pm

KathyJB wrote: I keep hearing people talking about some holiday, but I don't see "holiday" written on my calendar for the next few months. Just Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years, oh and Boxing Day. :D I even see they put up something similar to a Christmas tree, but they just call it a holiday tree, really baffling.

I refuse to say "Happy Holidays". I prefer Merry Christmas. If someone said to me "Happy Hanukkah", I'd say it back! Just as if someone said "Happy Kwanzaa", I'd reply with the same! I live by the golden rule:

Everyone is allowed something to believe in...no matter what name you use.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby jeepnstein on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:33 pm

KathyJB wrote:
triguy128 wrote:

What? a gun?

:lol: Especially when law enforcement for us is scattered over the 963 square mile county, usually about 4 deputies more or less day and night.

Four? That's a piece of cake. I've worked a few nights when I was the only one out. Yeah, one riot, one Ranger, so to speak. I've worked many with two or three. Nothing is more fun than pulling up on a full scale street fight with baseball bats and knives and hearing your backup tell you he's still fifteen minutes away.
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Postby KathyJB on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:37 pm

I was just guessing. I don't know how many are working at a time. We probably have 4 deputies hired. I want to start walking again and the only place without dogs is the dirt road to our pasture. Both my pistols are too heavy so I got a bodyguard yesterday. :D
KathyJB

Postby James on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:48 am

Had not read this thread before. Sorry to hear about your experience Mo. Over the course of my life I have had a number of break ins(two in 1991, one in 92, after I had moved to a different town, and one here at the Quarter in 2005, that I walked in on. Not to mention a non functional car stolen out of my yard in 2011 with a rollback truck. Break ins are scary as hell, and I have no sympathy with people who do it for a living. Since my last one, was a incident in the paper here where someone tried to do that to a little old lady who was home alone. She was prepared and I say good for her. And then there was the manslaughter case I was jury foreman for, kid in his 20's stabbed a man who broke into his home and killed him. We acquitted. I know some folks find the idea of defending yourself offensive. I don't get that, at all. But then maybe you just can't understand the situation where some of us live. I don't have another house in site. I am miles from the county seat and if you do make a call, don't expect them to arrive soon. And as for scaring them off with noise alone, not out here where the alarm(got one) is not going to be heard by anyone but me and whoever is trying to break in. No one WANTS to have to do anything like that, which is why I have four dogs, to keep all but the truly dangerous away. But if someone is brazen enough to try and get past them, well they deserve anything that you can do to them in my book.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum