dcsimg

Attempted break in....

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Attempted break in....

Postby Thomolli on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:28 am

A few weeks ago at around 7:30 pm a man came in our home while we were here in another part of the house, and stole 3 circular saws, an air compressor and a nail gun. He used our wheel barrow to transport his haul. Two of our kids saw him pushing our stuff down the alley but didn't make the connection that it was ours. Then he came back for more but something disturbed him, we are not sure what but the wheel barrow was back and DH's new miter saw had been moved nearer to the back door.

The worst part though? The police! The officer that responded treated DH and I like we were the criminals. Before it was over I was more mad about the police than the burglary. Treating the victim like the criminal discourages people from reporting crime and that is why crime flourishes.

Now we have a CCTV system. It came with 4 cameras with motion detectors and infrared night vision. If the sensors are activated when we are not here it sends an alert to our phones. We can access our cameras from the internet and our phones. It also has the capacity to add 8 more cameras and records continuously on a DVR. It holds about 45 days worth of recordings and automatically overwrites when it gets to the end. All for $300. I feel much safer now!
Thomolli

Postby utopia13 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Thomolli....that CCTV system sounds pretty nice. I could certainly set something like that up, but I know you need a hard internet connection to use it. I currently tether from my phone, so this would be something I need to think about. Our area only has Comcast for high speed and I SO hate them!! Where did you get your package that you installed??

On another note....I drafted this letter to send to our local paper in hopes the editor will post it. (even though the thought of using my pistol really never crossed my mind, the robber doesn't need to know this...so there is a very slight embellishment)

An open letter to my “would be” robber
Monday evening, October 1st, approximately 7:40 PM:

I know you had watched me. I know you knew my schedule and fully expected my home to be unoccupied. What you didn’t anticipate is the fact that I wasn’t feeling well and stayed home that day.

I heard you at my back screen door. I know the noise that door makes and know that no friends or neighbors ever come to that door when visiting. I had a split second decision to make. This decision was crucial. I decided to NOT let you get all the way in, and do what I would have been well within my legal rights to do….shoot you.

Instead, I decided to use the element of surprise in my favor. And surprise you I did, with you being in the 6’ tall range, and me being 4’11”!! I know it was the last thing you expected as I flung my kitchen door open and screamed at you! “What the *bleep* do you think you’re doing???” You stopped….and ran. I can only imagine your surprise to realize I was chasing you down the street! When I couldn’t keep up, I turned around and went back in my house and called the police.

I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. You chose that night for a reason. I stayed home for a reason. I didn’t let you get all the way in for a reason. You were not maimed or killed for a reason.

What you don’t know about me is that I am one of the nicest, most helpful and most generous people you could ever know. So, I am offering you an opportunity of a lifetime. I believe everyone deserves a second chance. One was given to me years ago, after my own bad choices could have cost me everything, so now I return the favor. If you were to come to my home during the daylight hours. (you know when I am home) Knock on my front door & introduce yourself. I will be happy to talk to you. I am not looking to get you in trouble, I am looking for the opportunity to know you. To find out why you chose me & why you think this is what you need to be doing.

If you want to change, I would be willing to help you find a real job. Do the right thing and feel the sense of accomplishment that only YOU can give yourself. Many years ago I read a quote that has stayed with me: You can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone. If you want my help…I will do all I can. If you choose to try a break in at my home again, my decision next time will likely not be the decision I made the first time.

The choice is yours.
Mo
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby SkipW on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:11 pm

I like thomolli's setup too, looking forward to more info!

utopia,

I like the letter....but.

Do you really want the reading public to know that no-one uses your back door and that you are a woman alone and 4'11'' and really nice and have a wierd schedule?

I think your offer to pay it forward is really kind and generous, but your kindness could get you killed.

I don't mean to be a downer, just a realist.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby utopia13 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Skip...I totally understand what you're saying. I have a feeling that the editor might not post it anyway. I think he might not want to be a party to my offer. Which is fine.

We'll see what happens. Either way, the average reader would have no clue where I live or what my schedule is. I was careful to not add any specifics...not even about my ahem...home protection.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby KathyJB on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:44 pm

First thing, I'm super glad no one was harmed in any of the attempted break ins. And second, I'm just going to put in my two cents and then be quiet.

I am guessing most of you guys live in a town that has police around your area at various times of the day and night, probably always a short distance away. I don't have that. I live 21 miles from where the Sheriff's deputy station is, but they could be even further away when that horrid day comes when I would need them during a time when I am alone 2 weeks out of the month when my husband is at work.
A while back when I was just on the brink of slumber I heard a noise that I thought might be someone breaking into the back door. Turns out it was my cell phone that I normally have off and charging. My daughter is a deputy constable and her text sound is a shotgun with the shell falling to the ground. She texted me. I grabbed my little Colt .22 pistol that has ratshot in it and was on my way to the back to TCB. Ratshot would hurt, but won't kill and the noise would scare the crap out of someone, but the husband wants me to keep the 9mm in the drawer which I do. Would I shoot someone with the 9mm? No I don't want to, but if it's a me or them situation, I win. You only have seconds to make a decision. Would I shoot the Colt? Absolutely no matter what. Neither of my children have a key and if one of them are coming for a visit and would get here late, I'll wait up or hide the key for them. Same with the husband.
Most of the widows or women who are alone at home in this town are armed here and they know how to safely use a firearm. None of us want to shoot anyone, but you don't know if the perpetrator is jacked up on drugs or has been watching you to harm you in the middle of the night. It's different when you are a woman alone.
KathyJB

Postby Thomolli on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 am

The brand is Rosewill. DH chose that one because it had the widest viewing area on the cameras and the longest night vision range of any others. It was $220-230 and the terabyte hard drive to record on was $70. We got it from newegg. Ordered on Tuesday and was here on Friday. A couple things I didn't mention above is that it came with enough wire to string the cameras to Timbuktu and you can also give out individual logins for the online viewing and allow the police or whoever to remotely view what is going on at your house. And as easily as you gave access you can take it away.

One last thing, if you buy from newegg purchase on a Tuesday. That is the best sale day of the week.
Thomolli

Postby utopia13 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Kathy...you hit the nail on the head. Excellent point of view.
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby PowerMuffin on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Oh my gosh! I just read this thread. I am so glad nobody was hurt during all these break ins! I woke up this morning from a nightmare in which I was home at night with just the pups and as I was letting one of the pups into the house, I noticed that the gate was opened. When I looked around a stranger was standing in the shadow. I quickly brought the pup in and locked the door. Instead of running upstairs to our room where we have a gun and a phone, I went to my husband's office. I then woke myself up because I knew the guy was going to find me in there. So reading this thread just freaked me out.

I hope that I am not so stupid should the real thing happen, but you never know how you are really going to act. I would be so mad if an intruder broke one of my wavy glass windows. :evil: I am thinking that we need better protection on that side door, especially since it has a window that could be easily broken to access the lock inside. Jeez, I've always felt so comfortable in our house.
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby utopia13 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm

PowerMuffin wrote: I would be so mad if an intruder broke one of my wavy glass windows. :evil: I am thinking that we need better protection on that side door, especially since it has a window that could be easily broken to access the lock inside. Jeez, I've always felt so comfortable in our house.
Diane

Diane...I know exactly how you feel! Here is the "scene of the crime". You can see on the far left, my back door with the large glass pane in it. I didn't want anyone breaking that!

I mean...if they did, I do have plywood & long screws to cover it up, but the thought of putting holes in that door makes me upset! :evil: Especially since I just cleaned that door up, oiled the locking mechanism & put a coat of BLO & 2 coats of shellac on it.

I have a deadbolt & my skeleton key lock on that door. Both need the key for access...no thumb turn locks for me.
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby KathyJB on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 pm

I hope that I am not so stupid should the real thing happen, but you never know how you are really going to act. I would be so mad if an intruder broke one of my wavy glass windows. :evil: I am thinking that we need better protection on that side door, especially since it has a window that could be easily broken to access the lock inside. Jeez, I've always felt so comfortable in our house. Diane

I was pretty calm for the most part during my false alarm, but was shaking like a leaf afterwards. And it was only the noise from a cell phone text :roll: I felt kinda silly, but was pretty darn proud I handled it like I did.

It just makes me angry and sad that civilized folks have to go through this.

:oops: oops, I was going to be quiet.
KathyJB

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum