dcsimg

Just me and the ghosts...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Just me and the ghosts...

Postby JRC on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Looking cautiously out at the failing businesses and indeed, entire towns decaying around me and wondering if there’s even a point.

The neighborhood my project house is in is slowly gentrifying, but that outcome is still not certain, and there is still a long way to go. But I worry that, if it's not successful, and after I move on, will the next person care about the house? I'm not letting that stop me from doing my best to bring the place back to its former glory, though. If the current efforts for gentrification fail, then this quote comes to mind: “It’s better to have tried and failed than to live life wondering what would’ve happened if I had tried” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
JRC

Re: Just me and the ghosts...

Postby lupinfarm on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:12 pm

JRC...There is absolutely no chance a community will recover if no one cares enough to try. Keep up the good work, good deeds
are kind of infectious. When your project house stands restored and proud others will follow your example and start restoring other buildings. :) I was told shortly after I moved here that this is an economically depressed area but all around me
i see people who still have pride in their community. Houses are being restored in small and large ways. Don`t listen to
the inner voice of doubt.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum